Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFO777
Originally Posted by mr8
How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/
Print Wikipost

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Testing UA Website Redesign?

i did a search... haven't seen anyone post this yet.

anybody see this on dot bomb?

for the past couple of days, they've apparently been testing a new web design, with a comically large font and wonky functionality. i'm not resistant to change, but this is incredibly confusing and seems to be designed for the once or twice a year traveler. i currently have 10 trips scheduled and when i click through "my trips," i'm presented with an oversized interface using the same supersized type they're using on the homepage in the booking feature... and it's not clearly indicated where one trip ends and the next begins. incredibly confusing and time consuming. frankly,if i wanted to bump up the font size, i can do that myself in any browser.

it's also missing the feature in which your key stats are automatically displayed on the homepage. with this, they're hidden and only displayed after one or two clicks.

i've cleared my cache and i still can't get rid of it, so i've started to use a different browser. i assume the display is randomly presented to users, but usually you can refresh and get the old site back. that desn't appear to be the case here.

Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Aha! So, it's not just me. I assume you have a US-based MP address on file, though?
yep, US-based

Originally Posted by 1KChinito

Happened to me also. Worse yet, after signing in, page freezes, cannot navigate. Why go live when it obviously is not ready for prime time?
luckily I don't have that problem.

I hope UA fixes this asap or reverts back to the old site. This is ridiculous.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Possibly device related? Every browser I tried on my personal PC came back with the old UA, while the work laptop came up with the new, and despite using it every few days, it once again asked for the security questions. Oh, the new format sucks now that I've seen it.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
A month ago, I landed on this beta site and the stupid thing would tell me that EWR was not an existing airport and would ask me to input an existing airport. If the beta site cannot recognize a UA Hub........
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
A month ago, I landed on this beta site and the stupid thing would tell me that EWR was not an existing airport and would ask me to input an existing airport. If the beta site cannot recognize a UA Hub........
It was an issue for me as recently as today on the Flight Status tab. No airport was being recognized even if I chose one from the autofill text. It seems to be intermittent, however.
jasondc likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

SFO is my home airport, so this makes sense, but they still can't deliver relevant fare content (specials) to me?

I've spoken for years, maybe over a decade, about UA's inability to deliver relevant flight specials to me. They know my flight patterns, they know the times of year I fly. You'd think the least they could do is focus on flights from SFO or SJC right? But never, ever, has that been the case. This is the first significant example I've seen that United knows where I'm based. I've got to believe home-market-based fare specials are the low-lying revenue fruit. Perhaps this is a start. Not that reminding me of the Golden Gate Bridge or the Warriors will lead to more sales, but at least somebody's paying attention to where I live.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Ok my site just switched to this new layout. While slightly more attractive, I don't understand why everything needs to be "bigger" so it's not possible to view all the information at once.

With that said, anyone else notice there are effectively 3 versions of the site in force here?

1. The new homepage UI
2. The slightly older search interface
3. The much older layout on flight status/view reservation pages and such

Such a patchwork...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Ok my site just switched to this new layout. While slightly more attractive, I don't understand why everything needs to be "bigger" so it's not possible to view all the information at once.
Something, something, millennials, mobile, engagement, etc...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This homepage just became horribly frustrating for me. You can no longer enter an airport code and 'move on'. You now must enter an airport code and manually select the airport from the drop down list, even if it's the only airport in the list. ...!! This enrages me.

Type LGA and ORD. Click "Search" and you will get red text under both saying "Please enter a valid destination". The old site correctly tried to search by whatever airport codes you entered and only then would it complain that an airport didn't exist if you entered the wrong data.

Oh, by the way, it still works this way on the very old web pages that come up after the home page. Do a valid search and get the flight search results page. Feel free to change the airport codes at the top of the page to whatever you want. There's no validation done when you type them in.

United, fix this absurd airport code check before clicking the 'Find Flights' button please.

PS - this seems to happen about 90% of the time. 10% of the time when I click tab after entering an airport code it automatically chooses the airport for me and fills in the field. This requires you to hit tab TWICE before moving on now. That's also a bug but I can live with that one. No idea why 90% of the time it fails.

-RM
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Interestingly enough, after being automatically redirected to the new beta page after log in for the last 2-3 weeks, yesterday, was redirected to the old homepage. Typing beta.united.com in my browser got me back to the new one.

I thought the beta had actually been moved to the live regular poagelast week. I guess not?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Interestingly enough, after being automatically redirected to the new beta page after log in for the last 2-3 weeks, yesterday, was redirected to the old homepage. Typing beta.united.com in my browser got me back to the new one.

I thought the beta had actually been moved to the live regular poagelast week. I guess not?
I've had it going back and forth for about a week now and can't figure out why it goes to one or the other. I just breathe a sigh of relief when it's not the new/beta one.
RobOnLI and chavala like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
The old landing page featured a link to travel waivers. This one does not, and I can't quite figure out where to find that page!

ETA: Found it: it's at the very bottom under Important Notices! link. Still "td: - not nearly as noticeable.

Last edited by legalalien; Jul 19, 2018 at 3:53 pm Reason: Found a solution
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by legalalien
The old landing page featured a link to travel waivers. This one does not, and I can't quite figure out where to find that page!
scroll to the bottom of the home page to "IMPORTANT NOTICES"
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
scroll to the bottom of the home page to "IMPORTANT NOTICES"
Thanks. Found it after I posted the question. To me, an "Important Notices" link stuck at the very bottom is better suited for a link to various legal disclaimers than to the important day-of-travel information.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is terrifyingly bad. I never liked it when UA changed the webpage, because it never improved anything ... this one is BREAKING things! So annoying. Completely not functional.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.