Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extra carry-on bag for food, in additional to normal carry-on allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

In light of discussion of poor food on united international flights I'm devising a plan to get my eating needs met without violating policies and annoying fellow travelers. I plan to get food from a couple of spots in the airport and use one baggage to keep it together and not spilled. I normally travel with one carry on with wheels and a small bag that attaches to the handle. This is a picture of the bag. Will I exceed the carry on allowance with this plan?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Does it meet the allowable personal item dimensions when stuffed with your food and everything else?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve4031
In light of discussion of poor food on united international flights I'm devising a plan to get my eating needs met without violating policies and annoying fellow travelers. I plan to get food from a couple of spots in the airport and use one baggage to keep it together and not spilled. I normally travel with one carry on with wheels and a small bag that attaches to the handle. This is a picture of the bag. Will I exceed the carry on allowance with this plan?
You needn't worry about the policy -- it explicitly allows you to bring food or merchandise that you purchased at the airport in addition to your carry-on: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx . It doesn't actually specify an amount, but if you're bringing something to eat in-flight, nobody is going to stop you. If anything, you're overthinking it -- you'll be less likely to have a problem with a bag that's clearly from an airport shop than you would with a bag you brought from home.

If any of the food is fresh, make sure to eat it or dispose of it before you arrive at your destination, though, lest you risk a fine or unwittingly transport agricultural pests.

Originally Posted by mduell
Does it meet the allowable personal item dimensions when stuffed with your food and everything else?
Those limitations don't apply in this case, although they're a pretty good guideline for determining whether or not you'll be able to fit the bag under the seat in front of you.
AceReport likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit2:
  • Jacket or umbrella
  • Reading material
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
  • Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
  • FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
  • Diaper bag
  • Breast pump
  • Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)
drewguy likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you keep the food outside the personal item bag, sure. However that's not what OP indicated they would do.
channa likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
If you keep the food outside the personal item bag, sure. However, that's not what OP indicated they would do.
Beleive the OP is querying about a third food only bag. The initial post can be read a couple of ways, but a third food item bag, as long as just items purchased at the departure airport should be fine. The fancier bag than the standard plastic airport bags might create some questioning and it would be best not to be too large but a bag holding 2 or 3 items should work. YMMV
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

I would only put a sandwich and snacks and a few bottles of water.

The bag in the picture is more durable than plastic bags which limits potential for spills.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has a solution looking for a problem. He can buy food at the airport, bring it onboard in whatever bag the establishment supplies, eat it and be done with it.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

You are right. I overanalyzed and appreciate the feedback

Originally Posted by Often1
OP has a solution looking for a problem. He can buy food at the airport, bring it onboard in whatever bag the establishment supplies, eat it and be done with it.
Thank you. I was a little anxious about food because the first time flew to Japan I went business class on Asiana and changed planes in Seoul. though I ate pretty well on the plane, and in the lounge in Seoul, I ended up being so hungry I was kind of sick. This caught me off guard . So on this trip, since I knew the food was going to be bad, i wanted to be careful that I did not make the same mistake. I think I will be a bit more experienced this time and handle things better. I do appreciate your feedback.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:25 pm

A handful of protien / power bars or nuts / traili mix is the most compact approach to supplement on aircraft food if you tend to get hunger. (selected for appropriate dietary needs)
Old May 1, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by jsloan
You needn't worry about the policy -- it explicitly allows you to bring food or merchandise that you purchased at the airport in addition to your carry-on: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx . It doesn't actually specify an amount, but if you're bringing something to eat in-flight, nobody is going to stop you. If anything, you're overthinking it -- you'll be less likely to have a problem with a bag that's clearly from an airport shop than you would with a bag you brought from home.
While this is true, I distinctly remember a story out of ORD involving a RJ, rollerboard, briefcase, hot-dog, and a UX GA who was having a bad day that I can no longer find. PIty, it was a good story, too.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
This is an interesting exemption - at NRT, I can buy a variety of merchandise, including electronics, kitchen appliances, etc, and some of the boxes are rather large. So by this exemption, I can bring my suitcase, backpack and a box containing a rice cooker or other gadget I bought at the airport. Good to know.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is an interesting exemption - at NRT, I can buy a variety of merchandise, including electronics, kitchen appliances, etc, and some of the boxes are rather large. So by this exemption, I can bring my suitcase, backpack and a box containing a rice cooker or other gadget I bought at the airport. Good to know.
It would seem, although they might ask you to check the rice cooker.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
It would seem, although they might ask you to check the rice cooker.
I'll keep a copy of the policy with me...plus I've never had a problem at NRT with this exact scenario, it's more a concern about my connection to UAX at SFO for the last leg home.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:49 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Bring your food from home, which will probably beat anything you can buy at the airport. Then go to one of the airport food vendors and ask for a bag, or tell them the bag you got when you purchased your food from them broke. Transfer your home food to their bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.