Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:24 am

Last I checked Hawaii is one of the 50 states of the US so this is considered a domestic flight and all the wonderfulness of that applies (including no meal service nor lounge access!) Having flown ORD to HNL in F, I can assure you that a lie flat seat, breakfast and pre-arrival sandwich are served. If you can find a cheap ToD (i.e. $500 USD) I'd say go for it since these routes are relatively competitive and the last thing you want to do is die on the battlefield! I also recall there being a lot of grumpy pax in coach whilst deplaning (likely due to their "surprise" that HNL is domestic).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by carzaddict
Will be flying from EWR to HNL this weekend (if it doesnt get delayed or cancelled due to snow)....and I noticed that it said "meals for purchase". I understand its a domestic flight....but its also 11 hours....so do they not serve meals?

Hopefully I wont have to find out the hard way, I've used my GPU upgrade, and I'm 1K...so i hope it comes through (showing 7 available seats so far).
I've got my fingers crossed for you on the GPU, but I'd also go in with lowered expectations, as the longest domestic flight in the nation with lie flats makes for one of the most enticing buy-ups, and I have consistently died on the WL for this flight and the return as I watched seats get snapped up one-by-one as it gets closer to departure. Plus it's January--GPU/RPU uploading season.
HNLbasedFlyer and carzaddict like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
I've got my fingers crossed for you on the GPU, but I'd also go in with lowered expectations, as the longest domestic flight in the nation with lie flats makes for one of the most enticing buy-ups, and I have consistently died on the WL for this flight and the return as I watched seats get snapped up one-by-one as it gets closer to departure. Plus it's January--GPU/RPU uploading season.
i appreciate the well wishes. due to the bad weather we're supposed to have, people have been jumping ship from my flight, i watched it go from 6 to 9 available business class seats.{redacted} would be if i got confirmed and then flight got cancelled
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2019 at 12:01 pm Reason: removed vulgar language
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:52 am

i appreciate the well wishes. due to the bad weather we're supposed to have, people have been jumping ship from my flight, i watched it go from 6 to 9 available business class seats. {redacted} would be if i got confirmed and then flight got cancelled
My understanding of UA policies (and those with more experience on this please chime in), is that once an upgrade is confirmed be it CPU/GPU/RPU or ToD you are confirmed to fly on that cabin. If the flight were to got MX/WX UA would then try to rebook you on the next available flight to HNL in J (including with connections in say sunny IAD or ORD). I've only encountered this once flying UA, namely my ORD->YYZ got cancelled and I was CPU'd to J. UA ended up rebooking me in J on an AC flight the following day and giving me a hotel since it was 2 AM. YMMV.

-James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2019 at 12:02 pm Reason: quote update to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
i appreciate the well wishes. due to the bad weather we're supposed to have, people have been jumping ship from my flight, i watched it go from 6 to 9 available business class seats. {redacted} would be if i got confirmed and then flight got cancelled
Even with really bad weather - count on this flight going. It had only 1 cancel in the past year.

Don't be surprised if 9 people bite on buy-ups. The F seats are some the least comfortable lie-flats in the fleet - but worth it, in my opinion.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2019 at 12:16 pm Reason: quote update to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Even with really bad weather - count on this flight going. It had only 1 cancel in the past year.

Don't be surprised if 9 people bite on buy-ups. The F seats are some the least comfortable lie-flats in the fleet - but worth it, in my opinion.
Have you tried the lie flats on AC which deflate all the time? The UA lie flat on my ORD->HNL was quite comfortable! Was it as great as a proper Polaris lie flat with a gel mattress? No, but you could easily get a good day's sleep and way more comfortable than the Barcalounger often used on these routes! If the ToD is around $500 USD, I'd just take it, save your GPU to fight another day (also do you value your GPU being worth only $500?). Again, that's a big if, but given there's so much space in F there is a decent chance you'll get this offer either now or during OLCI.

-James
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
As bad as airline meals have traditionally been, United's free meal in Y historically (usually something like teriyaki chicken on rice with vegetables or salad) wasn't too bad and occasionally was even good. I detest United's BoB to the point that -- 1K or not -- I'll plan on buying something for the trip if I have time and carry-on space. I do consider it insulting however that the airline doesn't provide SOMETHING on flights over 4 hours in length. The idea that I need to consider a lunch cooler in addition to regular carry-ons (computer, photography equipment, medicines, etc.) is just annoying.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Have you tried the lie flats on AC which deflate all the time? The UA lie flat on my ORD->HNL was quite comfortable!
EWR-HNL is on a 764. ORD-HNL is on a 777 high-density aircraft. The J seats are totally different. The 764s do indeed have some of the most uncomfortable J seats in the fleet, although they are still much better than any Y seat anywhere.

AC does not fly any planes with lie-flat seats to HNL.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
So based on various articles, the test run was in april only. What is UA planning on this front as AA and DL offer meal and alcohol gratis on their respective non west coast flights?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Halo117
So based on various articles, the test run was in april only. What is UA planning on this front as AA and DL offer meal and alcohol gratis on their respective non west coast flights?
Probably nothing. The flights are full. UA is the dominant mainland carrier in Hawaii. They are happy to take your BoB money if they don’t run out.

Bring food with you.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
As bad as airline meals have traditionally been, United's free meal in Y historically (usually something like teriyaki chicken on rice with vegetables or salad) wasn't too bad and occasionally was even good. I detest United's BoB to the point that -- 1K or not -- I'll plan on buying something for the trip if I have time and carry-on space. I do consider it insulting however that the airline doesn't provide SOMETHING on flights over 4 hours in length. The idea that I need to consider a lunch cooler in addition to regular carry-ons (computer, photography equipment, medicines, etc.) is just annoying.
Funny this!
I usually dislike the offerings in F and, most of the time, request one of the BOB offerings from the back instead. That Kale salad that's new on flights from IAH in F makes me nauseous.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

Probably nothing. The flights are full. UA is the dominant mainland carrier in Hawaii. They are happy to take your BoB money if they don’t run out.

Bring food with you.
Cold, but true.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Halo117
I honestly don't know why there was a "test" run? You match the competition. The competition serves meals on mid-con and east coast to Hawaii. Serve the meal. Certainly United can do that on a widebody flight. After all, the high-density 777s were used to MAD, BCN, and DUB where there is catering in Y. The 764 are used intercontinental so we know that catering is possible.

The fact it is labeled as a "test run" is insulting. Almost as insulting as not throwing something at passengers for an 8-9-10 hour flight.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Funny this!
I usually dislike the offerings in F and, most of the time, request one of the BOB offerings from the back instead. That Kale salad that's new on flights from IAH in F makes me nauseous.
Different strokes for different folks. <shrug> All the snack boxes are just grease, carbs, and salt. Have tried both the Tikka Tacos and the cheeseburger several times and am not impressed with either. The Mezze Sampler is okay but not for every flight and doesn't really feel like LUNCH (or worse, DINNER). I'd much rather buy something from one of the many food vendors at IAH than eat any of that "free" stuff (and I agree with you vehemently on the kale salad) but more power to you if you like it.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
2 or 3 years ago did not they announce they would start serving complementary snacks and meals on longer flight. What happened?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.