Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Pilot base for Boeing 787-10 (under consideration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Pilot base for Boeing 787-10 (under consideration)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
That's awesome detail, thank you very much! I guess my point is that if they're going to setup EWR as a line maintenance shop for 787's, there should be at least some rotation of Dreamliners thru EWR so they can do the A/B checks on a routine schedule through there, instead of ferrying them in/out. That's all. Completely enlightened self-interest... I'd love to see Dreamliners on a routine basis here. Always jealous when I see a bunch of them at Terminal B .. El Al, BA, Air India, etc... just none with the home team's globe-and-swoop on it. :-(

Thanks again for the great details - great to know EWR is more than just a passenger hub; lots of local jobs in that maintenance base I'm sure too!
For sure... you might also be interested to know that UA can do 787 line maintenance in-house at DEN, EWR, EZE, HNL, IAD, IAH, KIX, LAX, LHR, MCO, MIA, NRT, ORD, SEA, SFO and SYD. So it's not just places that have regular 787 service, nor is line maintenance in just one location. UA also does contract work for other carriers.
jsloan, dmurphynj and riphamilton like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adambrau
Is Newark perfect? No.
Definitely Not

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2018 at 8:37 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old May 8, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
For sure... you might also be interested to know that UA can do 787 line maintenance in-house at DEN, EWR, EZE, HNL, IAD, IAH, KIX, LAX, LHR, MCO, MIA, NRT, ORD, SEA, SFO and SYD. So it's not just places that have regular 787 service, nor is line maintenance in just one location. UA also does contract work for other carriers.
That’s quite a list of locations! Totally fascinating to me; I’m just in awe of these amazing machines and what it takes to keep them safe and reliable.

I realy wish United would do an open house at EWR the way they do at SFO. I‘d love a tour of the maintenance facility and the “under the wing” side of ops. That’d be really, really fun!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
UA to open EWR 787 Pilot Base

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/9206...oeing-787.html
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:22 pm

Domestic runs

the 78J will likely appear on EWR-LAX domestic runs in January.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by n049922
the 78J will likely appear on EWR-LAX domestic runs in January.
How about EWR-SFO?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
EWR787 will open for bid in September, more information from the company on routes will follow but consensus is Europe and South America. Training a sufficient number of pilots to staff flying out of the base will take a few months, so I would expect the domicile to be up and running by early 2019.
UA_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.