Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chinese government plans to punish United for not listing Taiwan as "Taiwan, China"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese government plans to punish United for not listing Taiwan as "Taiwan, China"

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 8:51 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Wouldn’t this be an IATA sort of issue?
Old May 4, 2018, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by geometry
According to NPR, both UA and AA have refusedto comply with Chinese's government's demand. (leaving DL as the only U.S. to comply with such demands previously)
DL undid their previous agreement, so that leaves all the US carriers thumbing their nose at this outrageous "demand"

Originally Posted by mr8
More ICAO than IATA, but they don't have the jurisdiction to force an airline to list a city in a certain way on a public website or printed timetable or magazine map.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 4, 2018 at 8:14 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 4, 2018, 4:32 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
More ICAO than IATA, but they don't have the jurisdiction to force an airline to list a city in a certain way on a public website or printed timetable or magazine map.
I had always assumed that all the airlines just followed the standard city codes/names that were provided by the IATA/ICAO or whatever international standards org to avoid this type of issue.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is it possible that this is a power play / excuse for China to possibly kick out the US3 and give any China-US routes to their own flag carriers? Seems like an obscure / petty thing to get worked up about. I know the whole Taiwan debate is contentious, but usually I felt airspace stuff tended to get worked out somehow.

Would a possible consequence be that US3 could not fly over Chinese airspace to TPE? (not sure that they do on their current routes anwyways...)
Old May 4, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mr8
I had always assumed that all the airlines just followed the standard city codes/names that were provided by the IATA/ICAO or whatever international standards org to avoid this type of issue.
Right, the city codes are fixed by international agreement, but the issue with communist China is how Taipei (and other Taiwanese airports) are listed aside from the IATA code - for example, Taipei, Taiwan is the correct listing, but China wants carriers to show "Taipei, China". So far, all 3 US carriers presented their middle fingers, and most of the world has as well, the exceptions being BA, Etihad, Lufthansa and a small number of other carriers.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:13 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Seems just silly that UA with such a long history and extensive network in the Far East to make a statement and poke the Dragon, simply stupid business sense.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 4, 2018 at 10:03 pm Reason: OMNI content removed
Old May 5, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Seems just silly that UA with such a long history and extensive network in the Far East to make a statement and poke the Dragon, simply stupid business sense.
Seems most people disagree with you...as do most global airlines....as does the federal government of the United States.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nse/583679002/

Orwellian nonsense, indeed.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Would a possible consequence be that US3 could not fly over Chinese airspace to TPE? (not sure that they do on their current routes anwyways...)
UA's flight SFO-TPE does not currently fly over Chinese (PRC) airspace. The route always seems to be USA - mainland Japan - Okinawa - Taipei.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A reminder, as previously requested, let's stay focused on UA actions and/or UA impacts due to the "request". The regional and/or geopolitical underpinnings are clearly related but they are a topic for OMNI, not the UA Forum. Such OMNI posts have been deleted.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Topic Note

Understanding the general Mainland China / Taiwan issue is a significant issue of disagreement for some and the nature of the Mainland China government is a hot issue for others BUT as this is the United forum and we focus on just United issues. As such, we shall need to stay out of such political / OMNI issues.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 5, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
Originally Posted by mr8
No, neither IATA nor ICAO care how the airport locations are described by the airlines w/r/t name/city/country/etc.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
My first U.S. passport circa 1990 contained a canceled China visa, because when my passport was originally made, the passport officer omitted "Republic of China" from my application and simply entered "TAIWAN" as my birthplace.The staple mark above that canceled China visa was from a slip of paper on which the valid visa was stamped. The Chinese immigration officer removed it upon my exit from China, so that there was no proof (prior to 2000, when I got a new passport with "China" as my birthplace) that I actually went to China with that passport.

China claims citizenship based on ancestry (jus sanguinis), not birthplace, so it's harder (and unproductive) for individuals like me to resist being subjected to Chinese law even though I am a citizen of a country half a world away. UA/DL/AA have more leeway to tell China to pound sand, but they're still subject to China's whims (and contradictions), if and whenever China chooses to be whimsical and contradictory. Nonetheless, this ticky-tack business over the Taiwan name has been going on for decades, and it won't be resolved even if UA bucks the line and kowtows to China's demand.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
It was Marriott - they initially complied with this nonsense, but after an uproar stateside, they changed their entry for Taipei and Taiwan back to where it was before - Delta received a letter around the same time and basically just ignored it. I'm sure United can do the same, but Delta's management is a little more aggressive and just sort of flipped them off....let's see if this is a Delta thing that United copies.
I am happy United has not followed Air Canada, saw this news in NZ? Air Canada among four major airlines who quietly changed their references to Taiwan
Old May 15, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
China came after The Gap today as well because they sold a T-shirt that didn't correspond to China's "official" map. It's basically extortion, but they're big enough to be able to carry through.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
if it comes down to the worst, UA can just route all their chinese flights via tokyo and ANA takes over the connecting segments. I don't think chinese airlines have that luxury or close relationship with anyone to help them that way.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 15, 2018 at 11:37 pm Reason: removed response to deleted post (OT per Moderator note)
Old May 16, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
if it comes down to the worst, UA can just route all their chinese flights via tokyo and ANA takes over the connecting segments. I don't think chinese airlines have that luxury or close relationship with anyone to help them that way.
NRT does not have unlimited slots. Even if UA is able to secure additional slots at NRT, it is not going to be a 1 to 1 replacement for their China flights. In fact, it will create over capacity between US and Japan if it is a 1 to 1 replacement.

On the China end, NH still needs to apply additional slots at Chinese airports.

I don't think it is not just UA can just route their Chinese flights via Tokyo for NH....too many hurdles and ifs and buts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.