Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United makes changes in Guam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Can you elaborate? I've often wondered why HA don't have a GUM flight, given the cultural ties evident in Honolulu. Are you saying UA would fight back, ...or something else?
Most people in Guam seem to hate United. Continental was much better, they say.

Guam's attorney general has went after United because they don't (or didn't) serve complimentary meals in economy-class on the flight, which is about 8 hours, between Honolulu and Guam.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
there were periods of time where flight 73 would operate IAH-HNL-GUM, in addition to flight 1, roughly 2-3x per week during the summer peak season. The demand has always been there. however, now that you see the likes of HNL-MNL flights, it does take a bit away from the UA flight.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:42 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Guam's attorney general has went after United because they don't (or didn't) serve complimentary meals in economy-class on the flight, which is about 8 hours, between Honolulu and Guam.
GUM-HNL is such a weird flight.
IIRC, I believe they feed you on GUM-MNL which is less than half the GUM-HNL flight distance.
Really baffles me why GUM-HNL is a GPU flight while GUM-Japan is CPU and HNL-EWR is RPU.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Well, it's not on the radar for American tourists because you can't fly directly to/from Guam and the mainland. That's a huge problem. Flying to Guam via Tokyo takes about five hours longer than flying to Hawaii from the East Coast. For Japanese tourists, I'm told that Hawaii is more a couples destination whereas Guam is popular with families.

Some of the beaches on Guam are the best I've ever seen. In particular, Ritidian Point.

Yuuup. Even if there was a SFO-GUM flight I would think....is it still worth it? It's basically 100 miles longer than SFO-FRA. Why do I need to spend 11-12h flying to GUM when I can do 5 to get to Hawaii or 8 (I think) to Tahiti? I pretty much steer my folks into where we go for family vacation each year and I would have a hard time convincing my Mom to fly to HNL to then take an even longer flight after that to go to GUM when in her eyes it would be "why don't we just get off and stay in Hawaii?" We love Half Moon / Rose Hall Jamaica and have gone twice (when I was living on the East Coast) but now we hem and haw over going back when the shortest, but still safe, connection makes it a 9.5h trip.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mr8
GUM-HNL is such a weird flight.
IIRC, I believe they feed you on GUM-MNL which is less than half the GUM-HNL flight distance.
Really baffles me why GUM-HNL is a GPU flight while GUM-Japan is CPU and HNL-EWR is RPU.
Apparently, there's debate over whether Guam-Honolulu is an "international flight" or a "domestic flight." Hence why United has treated Guam weirdly. Guam controls its own customs. However, Guam and Hawaii are both in the United States, which means there is no immigration check when flying between GUM and HNL.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Most people in Guam seem to hate United. Continental was much better, they say.

how is that possible? it is pretty much the same people, same agent, same management in Guam, same flight attendant, even the same physical airplane as before, same seat, same entertainment, same engine, same gate, same airport, etc. practically nothing has been changed as far as guam is concerned.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
However, Guam and Hawaii are both in the United States, which means there is no immigration check when flying between GUM and HNL.
HNL-GUM: No immigration check.
GUM-HNL: USCBP checks ID before boarding to confirm admissibility to Stateside. Guam/CNMI has a separate VWP.

GUM-SPN: No immigration check.
SPN-GUM: USCBP checks ID to confirm admissibility to Guam. CNMI has separate DHS parole program and labor visa.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
how is that possible? it is pretty much the same people, same agent, same management in Guam, same flight attendant, even the same physical airplane as before, same seat, same entertainment, same engine, same gate, same airport, etc. practically nothing has been changed as far as guam is concerned.
No meals, the baggage fees, and ridiculously high airfares because United has no competition.

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
HNL-GUM: No immigration check.
GUM-HNL: USCBP checks ID before boarding to confirm admissibility to Stateside. Guam/CNMI has a separate VWP.

GUM-SPN: No immigration check.
SPN-GUM: USCBP checks ID to confirm admissibility to Guam. CNMI has separate DHS parole program and labor visa.
Yes, but for US citizens or US nationals it's not an immigration check like flying from a foreign country.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2018 at 12:51 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:07 pm

Before merger: CO 764 (newer), GUM crew (Chamorro announcements too), AVOD IFE, free meals, lie-flat BF.
After (before upgrade): UA 772 (older), HNL crew, no screens at all (before PDE and wifi), food for sale, barely extra recline B/F seat.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Actually, most of that is incorrect. Ground employees are the same, as are the facilities, but the HNL-GUM and 777 GUM-NRT flights are staffed with sUA crews (not passing any judgment). The original batch of 737-800s have mostly been swapped out for newer ships with slimline seats, PTV entertainment (looped video, no DTV, no wifi). Most of the GUM management has changed since the merger, too.

A lot of the public criticism was levied at the HNL-GUM flight, which went from a near-international service with BF recliners on the 767-400, PTVs and meals to a domestic 777, initially with regular 38" pitch domestic F seats, mainscreen entertainment and, around the same time, the market transitioned to BOB. The F service was slightly upgraded, but still a big cut from the CO era, when it was essentially a BusinessFirst service. Now, the flight has 3-4-3 Y seats, but the premium product is better than ever with flat-bed IPTE.

Last edited by EWR764; Apr 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Can you elaborate? I've often wondered why HA don't have a GUM flight, given the cultural ties evident in Honolulu. Are you saying UA would fight back, ...or something else?
Part of the issue is that HA didn't have the right aircraft to make the business case back in 2012 timeframe. Not clear that if HA has the aircraft that makes sense for the market.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Part of the issue is that HA didn't have the right aircraft to make the business case back in 2012 timeframe. Not clear that if HA has the aircraft that makes sense for the market.
Hawaiian makes oodles of money on a twice-weekly flight between Honolulu and Pago Pago, American Samoa. American Samoa has almost zero tourism. It's hard to believe they couldn't make money on weekly or twice-weekly flights between Honolulu and Saipan, Palau and Guam on the 767.

I think Guam and Saipan might, might just be reachable from Honolulu with the A321neo.

They could probably fill half of economy-class once a week with just veterans going to Honolulu for medical care.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Hawaiian makes oodles of money on a twice-weekly flight between Honolulu and Pago Pago, American Samoa. American Samoa has almost zero tourism. It's hard to believe they couldn't make money on weekly or twice-weekly flights between Honolulu and Saipan, Palau and Guam on the 767.

I think Guam and Saipan might, might just be reachable from Honolulu with the A321neo.

They could probably fill half of economy-class once a week with just veterans going to Honolulu for medical care.
I always had hoped there'd be a 2-3x per week 752 from CO for HNL-GUM. I'd say the 321neo could work for HA.

But, then again, I really wish GUM could have become a SE Asia hub being linked with SFO/LAX connecting to a number of SE Asia destinations.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:44 pm

Last time I heard Air Mike is the largest private sector employer on Guam, over 1000. So that’s many thousands on an island of 140,000 civilians that aren’t revenue passengers. Then there’s the military space available flights eg from Andersen to Hickam. Guam has a high rate of enlistment, so that’s another segment of the civilian population.

Early 2000s on the radio I heard Air Mike executive saying the 200+ seats on the 764 daily, there are only 60 people flying GUM-HNL. So you have to rely on Asian connecting traffic to fill the flight. So I’m not sure there’s still a market for HA, except that DL has left.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:11 am

Plus, by all reports, Star Marianas Air is absolute opposite of a quality, reliable operation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.