Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Just boarded ORD-LHR on a Z fare ... couldn’t apply a GPU ... five non-revs filled the first cabin about 10 minutes prior to boarding (all the same names were on the business standby list too). A GS boarded before me and he wasn’t upgraded to first either. Seems a bit odd on optics imho to put staff up front over high value customers ... just my observation. Would have happily burned a GPU on an upgrade as I have 12. Not willing to pay for a C fare just for the chance tho in case I get swapped to a 3-cabin bird.
That has been my experience in all my flights. Do you recall if you got a TOD at check-in?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
I was not offered one. I was expecting something.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Booked on a Z fare, ORD-PEK (3-class 777). GPUs were not eligible on the Z fare of course. In the days prior, I had been offered $10,000+ (really ridiculous) or 30,000 miles +$600 for the upgrade.
24hrs out, still F8...no F class booked. Biz class is full. A couple non-revs start showing up on the waitlists, but no one else (probably irrelevant, but just painting the picture).
Upon online check-in, I was offered the buy up for $1800. I found this amount odd, because when I searched for outright buying an F seat at this point, it was only about $1000 more than my paid Z fare.
So I go to "change" my itinerary and search for First class only. Lo and behold, the change fee for a First (A) seat was $0. Got a confirmed A fare for the exact same price as my Z fare.

Lucky fluke, or is this somehow built into the system? I ask others to give this a shot in similar circumstances.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
My flight from ORD-CDG was available for upgrade at OLCI for $1029 for me, and $879 for my non-status relatives. Go figure. First filled with 5 standbys before departure.

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
So I go to "change" my itinerary and search for First class only. Lo and behold, the change fee for a First (A) seat was $0. Got a confirmed A fare for the exact same price as my Z fare.

Lucky fluke, or is this somehow built into the system? I ask others to give this a shot in similar circumstances.
I actually tried to see what alternative flights were available for me (booked in H, upgraded to R) and my family (biz award in IN). The only options that came up were in economy. Thanks for mentioning though.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I was sent an email offer to upgrade IAD-CDG from P fare Business to GF for $5100+ for each member of my party of 4.

Who comes up with this kind of offer? Is anyone seriously going to cough up $5100+ to upgrade from Business to what remains of Global First?

My return CDG-IAD offer was $3200+ from R (W fare with GPU).
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CIT85
I was sent an email offer to upgrade IAD-CDG from P fare Business to GF for $5100+ for each member of my party of 4.

Who comes up with this kind of offer? Is anyone seriously going to cough up $5100+ to upgrade from Business to what remains of Global First?

My return CDG-IAD offer was $3200+ from R (W fare with GPU).
That's insane, especially with the much reduced offerings in GF. Frankly, I think they want to go flat rate say $750 ... still better than upgrading NRSAs.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
That's insane, especially with the much reduced offerings in GF. Frankly, I think they want to go flat rate say $750 ... still better than upgrading NRSAs.
You are in the right ballpark as when I purchased in January my Polaris Business ticket for ORD-PVG-ORD for $3,600 for a flight next week, the price for Polaris First was $5,100: $750 more for each direction.

I'm not planning to accept any TOD to get to First since my wife and I have what we consider the best combination of seats in Polaris Business for passengers who like aisle seats: 6H and 6J. But I'm curious what the offers will be in each direction.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:52 am

So the coupons for the flights in which I was cleared in ON have changed from "Paid" to "Flown," and once again I have to admit that I will really miss INTL F on UA.

Yes, most of the additional amenities are gone now, but the service was impeccable, the FA's were again among the best I've seen on UA, and I just appreciate the amount of personal attention you get vs the rushed service in INTL J. Overall, I'm still convinced the experience (and the seat!) in F is a step above J, and worth of an instrument or $$$ upgrade.

I'm not bound to UA but I'm loyal to *A, so I'm actively considering switching to LH for TATL in their INTL F product, although I'll miss the American flair. I may have one more RT in UA's INTL F though if they decide to push the EOS back again.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:17 am

So, my curiosity was answered in the direction ORD-PVG. It's $1979 coming from a P fare.

I have already flown in Polaris First so it's not something that I have to check off of a to do list. I have also flown BA First and the experience on that airline was better. They serve LPGS champagne, the dishes for First were all delicious and you get access to the Concorde Room. In addition, being in the front of a 747 is great (I had flown Business on the upper deck many times).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
When I checked in online last night for my IAD-CDG flight, the upgrade was $863, still not worth it to me but not as ridiculous as the $5100 earlier.

BF and GF upgrade wait lists are identical, 4 with same last name and 2 others, so all Non-Rev.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Recently I had a conversation with a well-placed executive at UA. He confirmed, as others have (including ua1flyer), that for flights served by three-cabin aircraft where first is not sold, upgrades are day-of-departure and based on fare paid then check-in time. However, a new policy is being developed that will be status-based and not limited to day-of-departure; no further details are available but would be announced later in the summer.

As always, Our Mileage May Vary
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:35 am

Hmmm. Trying to reconcile "upgrade policy to be announced later in the summer" with the conversion schedule for three class aircraft.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
Recently I had a conversation with a well-placed executive at UA. He confirmed, as others have (including ua1flyer), that for flights served by three-cabin aircraft where first is not sold, upgrades are day-of-departure and based on fare paid then check-in time. However, a new policy is being developed that will be status-based and not limited to day-of-departure; no further details are available but would be announced later in the summer.

As always, Our Mileage May Vary
This sounds promising. The ban on P/Z GPU upgrades needs to go while F is being phased out.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
UA 31, 17 July 2018: MUC->EWR plane switch to 3-class; GS upgrade chances?

We had an equipment swap sometime in the last 48 hours and have gone from a two class to a three class plane.

I called GS line when finding out this am, when checking in that this had happened, to try and use a GPU and was told that it was under gate control and upgrades would be done at the gate since they weren't selling the seats.

Standby last, business upgrade list and first upgrade list have the same two people listed.

First availability is 5 +1 blocked.

(1) Assume that the two folks on all three of these lists are standby non-revs?

(2) Odds on getting the upgrade tomorrow am? Would think pretty high as there have only ever been max 3 or 4 GSs in business on the flights on this route previously when I have traveled this route. (There may have been a couple more traveling in economy.)

(3) Is it correct that I can't use a GPU (or other instrument) < 24 hours? (Just because it's the equipment switch and they aren't selling first?)

(4) Will check in order trump fare class (P) on the upgrade priority?

Presumably first in this case is just a bigger seat?

TIA

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 18, 2018 at 5:16 am Reason: merged into existing discussion
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The gate can't apply GPUs, so likely the non-revs get the seats and they'll upgrade anyone else if they need the seats in the back.

You might have better luck through some other channel, or using your GS powers on an airport agent who can make the call to someone who can apply your GPU, but I would really try HUCA and try and get your GPU applied now. Technically GPUs aren't supposed to be useable sub-24 but Y(GS?)MMV.
AceReport and LimeyFlyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.