Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Never. It's filled by GS/1Ks using instruments and then topped up with Non-Revs.
I can buy Polaris Business and use a GPU for Polaris First United no longer sales?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Michael D
I can buy Polaris Business and use a GPU for Polaris First United no longer sales?
Yes, but it cannot be P or Z fare. It has to be higher fare.

Sometimes, they do leave empty seats in Polaris First, if there are not enough non-revs wanting to seat in First Class.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
This flight is currently booked to capacity in J (actually oversold by 1 if you include a pilot's rest seat that's being held) and almost everyone has seat assignments. The flight is authorized to oversell due to F not being sold anymore. It's still J9 because of this oversell capacity.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
PMUA 777 - who gets GF seats now?

One of my upcoming trancon legs is on a PMUA 777 with GF. Obviously the GF seats are blocked.... who eventually gets them?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
put a CPU on and you might get the seat, we did! flying between IAD-SFO.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by mellon
put a CPU on and you might get the seat, we did! flying between IAD-SFO.
Assuming that's a typo, it has to be a GPU, not a CPU. Or possibly an RPU, but I think that's doubtful unless you're GS and full fare, although I haven't seen those birds on this route for awhile..
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Recent point of reference, IAD-CDG on 8/31. Was shown as 3 class 772 for months prior to departure but no F being sold. T-1 hour one person had cleared with an instrument and 7 seats open. 6 what appeared to be non-rev's cleared and 1 seat left empty (but in reality filled by another non rev's child pulled up from economy by the FA's as soon as the doors closed). Inquired in the lounge about buy up and was told it was $2700 to buy up from a Z fare (not worth it). No proactive buy up offer during check in or in travel options in the app.

9/4 CDG-IAD, swapped at last second (after OLCI) for polaris layout so lucky me!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
Hi everyone, just trying to understand this convoluted situation -- I am on UA990 SFO CDG 09/05 ticket purchased for Polaris Business (J class), with a GPU for upgrade requested.

Do I check in online before I get to the airport or do I need to just wait on everything until I get to the airport tomorrow in order to have my chance for the 1st class cabin?

Thanks for any tips based on your respective experiences!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Benebene
Hi everyone, just trying to understand this convoluted situation -- I am on UA990 SFO CDG 09/05 ticket purchased for Polaris Business (J class), with a GPU for upgrade requested.

Do I check in online before I get to the airport or do I need to just wait on everything until I get to the airport tomorrow in order to have my chance for the 1st class cabin?

If I were you, I would check-in online when you are allowed to do it.

There are already 7 people on the upgrade list to First. 4 seem to be non-revs. The first 3, I don't know. When you check-in you will see what order you are in the upgrade list, most probably high up as you are GS.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 4, 2018 at 6:39 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Benebene

Checking in early can only help your chances. If not cleared until it switchsto the gate list, that list's last factor is time of checkin (with status and fare more important)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:17 am

Im 1k, did the 20k miles and $550 request for four seats on UA891 ORD - LHR on 8/31. One seat blocked and two booked (gs?). Day of flight there were still three open seats and a bunch of non revs on the standby lists for all three cabins. Did not get any seats and still waiting for a refund of the $550 x 4.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
It’s time for the Z/P restriction on GF GPU upgrades to be dropped.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Im 1k, did the 20k miles and $550 request for four seats on UA891 ORD - LHR on 8/31. One seat blocked and two booked (gs?). Day of flight there were still three open seats and a bunch of non revs on the standby lists for all three cabins. Did not get any seats and still waiting for a refund of the $550 x 4.
Sorry that you did not get the upgrades but 4 passengers is way more difficult than one. Call the 1K line or send them an e-mail about your refund (the $550 X 4). Sometimes they are slow in that part of the process. Did you get the miles back already?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:08 am

As far as I can tell, the miles weren't deducted, only the dollars. They did show up as a credit this morning so all is well. Would have been nice to have family together in first, but not essential.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
Thank you to StuckinITH and Wine CountryUA -- I followed your advice and checked in online.
Wow, it was gratuitously uncertain to wait until boarding time to get the news on the assignment. I did get moved to the 1st cabin which was nice.

It's too bad they can't make this process more smooth as these butterflies in the stomach for frequent travelers wanting upgrades is such a bad thing. Won't this [cabin seat configuration] upgrade process to the new Polaris configuration take a long time? It's many months to erode goodwill although I am a satisfied UA traveller.

BTW, I just noticed on the united.com portal that the GPU upgrade request I made on this flight, the GPU was re-credited back to my account. I guess it was the way to "flag" the request for the upgrade, but since it is just the seat/cabin that was upgraded and not the service (the service was all same as Polaris Business) it didn't merit the GPU.

Incidentally, It was my first time to check out the new Polaris lounge at SFO and I was so impressed and I didn't even take the escalator to the 2nd floor.

Many thanks again!
I usually take the trans-pacific routes to PEK or PVG, and wow, the crew going to CDG was so happy just to be going to Paris. It was really great service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.