Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by tuolumne
You are asking for freebies that no airline would ever give. And why should they? Unlimited CPUs from C to international 3-cabin F? Talk about a blogger/FlyerTalk pipe-dream ! These seats can still be yours as long as you apply $/instrument.

Logistically, from an NRSA/NRPS angle, well, there are exhaustively complex already established processes for waitlist F/C/Y travel. They arent going to throw a wrench into their systems (literally) with some bizarre intl. CPU strategy just so you can sit there for free...give it up and pay it up if you want to sit in United First (which is a product I thought FlyerTalk pounded on for decades as being nothing short of redundant - Curious how many seemingly cant wait to sit there now!).
You are completely misunderstanding what I was asking and suggesting in the first place. I'm not asking for a freebie at all. United is giving freebies to it's non-revs. I was simply suggesting that Z/P should be eligible to use GPUs. That would seem to be a smart move to reduce the companies liability by letting folks use more of their GPUs on select routes.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
GPU C -> F just cleared for me on a TATL 6/25.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
You are completely misunderstanding what I was asking and suggesting in the first place. I'm not asking for a freebie at all. United is giving freebies to it's non-revs. I was simply suggesting that Z/P should be eligible to use GPUs. That would seem to be a smart move to reduce the companies liability by letting folks use more of their GPUs on select routes.
Sorry to single you out, but it has been noted here that some expect op up upgrades C>F, of if they are sitting Y, from Y>C. Not to preclude the company from upgrading select GS to the F cabin, but there will be no automation which assigns seats in intl. F like CPU.

I don't agree with reducing the fare class restrictions, especially when United will still be making money with instruments/$. Note that United First is still on, or has been transferred to, mainly legacy sUA high-margin routes that can actually support it.

I don't see what the incentive to drop the barriers to allow Z/P to use GPU, beyond asking for what I do define as a freebie.

And NRSA/NRPS is not a freebie to the company, United essentially bought those seats from themselves in exchange for lower comp in the contracts. Just inaccurate.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by mh3265a
*MODs - please modify or merge as necessary.

Curious what experiences people have had upgrading to Polaris Global First on non-converted pmUA 777s and 767s since UA ended sales of Polaris Global First earlier this month. Sometimes I see ON class available on select flights but I have NOT seen any O class available. Are they doing upgrades based on any set criteria? Would like to see what folks are experiencing since the change.
upgrades on these flights are not based on status or priority waitlisted etc. they are based strictly on upgrading the passengers with the highest fares, regardless of status.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Sorry to single you out, but it has been noted here that some expect op up upgrades C>F, of if they are sitting Y, from Y>C. Not to preclude the company from upgrading select GS to the F cabin, but there will be no automation which assigns seats in intl. F like CPU.

I don't agree with reducing the fare class restrictions, especially when United will still be making money with instruments/$. Note that United First is still on, or has been transferred to, mainly legacy sUA high-margin routes that can actually support it.

I don't see what the incentive to drop the barriers to allow Z/P to use GPU, beyond asking for what I do define as a freebie.

And NRSA/NRPS is not a freebie to the company, United essentially bought those seats from themselves in exchange for lower comp in the contracts. Just inaccurate.
They MUST drop the fare class restrictions for GF upgrades. Why should I buy a D/C/J fare on a 3-cabin plane if I don't know whether its even going to be operated by a 3-cabin plane. As an example, an upcoming flight is F0 (not for sale) and PN9. I'll gladly by a P fare if I have the chance of upgrading to F, but paying a premium for D in the hopes that its not a converted plane is just silly...especially when I can confirm an upgrade from Y. UA could lock me it at a significantly higher fare just by changing these rules during this transition period.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ua1flyer

upgrades on these flights are not based on status or priority waitlisted etc. they are based strictly on upgrading the passengers with the highest fares, regardless of status.
That has not been my experience. They have left the gate with non-revs and empty seats in First. I have to see what happens on my trip to PVG next month. It's not like I'm looking for an (undeserved) upgrade as I have my preferred Business seat and if I had wanted to fly in First the price when I booked my flight was very cheap.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:17 pm

Interestingly enough, UA is now offering United Polaris first for sale on the TATL segments that I was upgraded on this morning.

F5 FN5 A4 ON0 with currently 1 seat reserved by me in ON and the 2 middle seats in row 2 blocked.

Note the 2 TATL segments that I booked are scheduled after June 19, what was supposed to be the last day of flights that would offer INTL First Class for sale. Except if I misunderstood this and it actually means June 19 will be the last day the inventory will be sold for future flights? But that's not what the post on OMAAT says.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
They are selling it on ORD-PEK as well. F8, A8 on a number of days.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:42 pm

I wonder if they are opening up for sale once the tail number is assigned?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
I wonder if they are opening up for sale once the tail number is assigned?
Everything seems to be for sale again until 8/19. Seems they delayed the phase-out that was supposed to start on 6/19 with 2 months.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Could be the 772 mods are behind schedule?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Deleted: question answered upstream

Last edited by chicago747; Jun 19, 2018 at 10:42 am Reason: moved to focused thread
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
With all of these changes, i just hope they don't limit our ability to book Partner airline F rewards on the website.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
I'm flying ORD-CDG next week and available fare classes show as F8 FN8 A8 ON2 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R7 RN7 IN6 I5. So, lots of premium cabin availability. What's frustrating is there is no O class (saver first award). Has anyone had experience recently with this bucket opening on UA metal?

Answering my own question several days later:
ON increased to 3 or 4, and then 3 days before departure, O1 opened and then O2. This is consistent with a few other dates I checked, even when J<5.

Last edited by FlytheTail; Jul 1, 2018 at 10:46 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Just boarded ORD-LHR on a Z fare ... couldnt apply a GPU ... five non-revs filled the first cabin about 10 minutes prior to boarding (all the same names were on the business standby list too). A GS boarded before me and he wasnt upgraded to first either. Seems a bit odd on optics imho to put staff up front over high value customers ... just my observation. Would have happily burned a GPU on an upgrade as I have 12. Not willing to pay for a C fare just for the chance tho in case I get swapped to a 3-cabin bird.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.