Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 4 million miler; Hilton goldMarriott platinum elite
Agree upgrades to global first are getting cleared way in advance. I upgraded UA804, NRT-IAD On Thursday May 18. I requested about May 6, was waitlisted, cleared within a day or two.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
First Class to Europe

Hi All

Apologies in advance if this is an active thread, if it is, I am not very good at searching

Have been searching for first class seats to LHR or CDG (I think the only remaining destinations with 3 class service) in June/July but have not been able to find a single seat. Finally broke down and called Global Services and they noticed that all eight seats were unsold, but, unavailable. She checked this weekend and the cabins are empty and just became available.

Error or are they preparing to change aircraft?

Not the end of the world. Just a curiosity.
-st

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2018 at 11:36 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old May 24, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by small ring
Hi All

Apologies in advance if this is an active thread, if it is, I am not very good at searching

Have been searching for first class seats to LHR or CDG (I think the only remaining destinations with 3 class service) in June/July but have not been able to find a single seat. Finally broke down and called Global Services and they noticed that all eight seats were unsold, but, unavailable. She checked this weekend and the cabins are empty and just became available.

Error or are they preparing to change aircraft?

Not the end of the world. Just a curiosity.
-st
Global First is over - terminated, it's an ex-class of service. The seats remain until the Polarisization of each aircraft, and are given away to non-revs and select upgrades on an opaque formula.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:44 am

United Polaris first class (legacy United Global First) inventory is still offered for sale on select international 3-cabin flights scheduled on or before June 20. As part of the phase-out of the INTL first class product, it's no longer offered for sale on any flights after that, although the cabin (and its associated service) continues to exist for an undetermined period of time.

Consult this thread for upgrade options into the United Polaris first class cabin of an international 3-cabin flight that no longer offers United Polaris first class inventory for sale.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:54 am

It's for employees (mostly) ... no soup for you

Might want to try another airline (perhaps LH, via FRA/MUC).
Old May 24, 2018, 11:11 am

Soup is being (or already has been) removed from 3-class F.

The cabin will be able to be upgraded into using instruments/cash on the day of departure only.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:27 am

Afaik INTL flights with 3 cabins still have 3 distinct levels of service, unlike domestic 3-cabin flights that only offer 2 levels of service. Haven't seen anything that indicates the front cabin receives United Polaris (business class) service, although certain elements of the legacy United Global First service may have disappeared.

United Polaris first class is almost not documented at all in United's marketing, so it's hard to tell what the service should include, except that it offers everything that is included in United Polaris and "still has even more elevated amenities and the specialized attention you've come to expect from our international first class service."

Afaik non-GS United Polaris first class customers can also still check in using the Global Services lobbies, unlike non-GS United Polaris customers.

Last edited by mozilla; May 24, 2018 at 11:44 am
Old May 24, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Soup was cut already, and the only other difference I remember between F and J was that there was still real salad dressing in F as of last fall. I guess maybe you still get the extra Polaris lounge guest, different color tin, and maybe different wines? I'm skeptical on the last point though.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I had soup In GF early last month SFO-LHR. Also the white tulip amenity kit instead of the black, differently plated app (larger portion?), and choice of salad dressing.

I’m flying GF SFO-CDG this weekend. Will report back on the differences
Old May 24, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
I had soup In GF early last month SFO-LHR. Also the white tulip amenity kit instead of the black, differently plated app (larger portion?), and choice of salad dressing.

I’m flying GF SFO-CDG this weekend. Will report back on the differences
Just completed SFO-LHR ... there is sadly no difference between the meal service for J and F now. The cocktail snack and soup have gone, everything is served on one tray like J - appetizer, salad, bread. There is no choice of salad dressing - only the trusty balsamic vinegar and olive oil bottle. The printed menu is the same as J now - they have eliminated "Polaris Business" and it now just says "Polaris".

The one remaining difference is the wine ... the wine list was distributed separately after they handed out the menus, and has better choices than J ... a good Charles Schug Chardonnay and a good, slightly older Bordeaux and a decent Aussie Shiraz. The champagne, I noticed, was the same between the two cabins.

You'll be able to use the *A First lounge at CDG on your return, however ... a nice final goodbye to international F!
tuolumne and SFOdelayed like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
I'm GS, just booked a Z fare NRT-ORD. Is there a route (without upfaring) for an upgrade into the legacy F product? I'm not sure if I can use a GPU since it's a Z fare, but will they comp upgrades into F on day of or something along those lines?
Old May 24, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I had an upcoming IAD-CDG next week on paid business class clear into first with a GPU about a month ago. On the return the week after, I had already upgraded from economy to business with a GPU, but they keep offering buy-ups at ridiculous prices (lowest was $2504; currently it is about $5000). It will be interesting to me whether I get a cheaper buy-up offer T-24, or, as I think more likely, they would be given to non-revs. No class on the return is sold out, so I don't know that they would give any op-ups, and I am guessing the handful of F seats taken currently are due to GPU upgrades.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Thank you. This is was an interesting thread to ready
Old May 25, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On May 15th, ORD-MUC, I noticed that Polaris First passengers had slippers put in front of their seats before boarding. No slippers for Polaris Business. I did not ask if they would give me a pair. Will check if the same thing happens on the way back next week.

The one little issue I see with the disappearance of Polaris First is that passengers in that class were the only one allowed to bring one guest in the Polaris Lounge. My wife and I did use that benefit. Going to PVG, I was in First, she was in Economy +. I invited her to the ORD Polaris Lounge on our departure. Coming back from PVG, my wife was in First, I was in Economy +. She invited me to the ORD Polaris Lounge prior to our connecting flight.

Last edited by StuckinITH; May 25, 2018 at 1:36 am
Old May 25, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mozilla
...Afaik non-GS United Polaris first class customers can also still check in using the Global Services lobbies, unlike non-GS United Polaris customers.
That has the added benefit of using the unmarked GS lane into TSA Precheck at EWR. The Precheck line there can be very long at times. Same for other airports that have a similar short cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.