Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
7/19 CDG-IAD, original flight status had 3/8 F seats assigned. Email from UA on 7/18 informed me of aircraft swap to new config 777.

I wonder how UA handled the 3 F passengers? I assume this means down grade from F to C.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: United 1K/GS, AA Gold
Global First

i know this isn’t really a Global Services question, but figured this would be a knowledgeable crowd. In September, I am scheduled to take a flight that is currently listed as a 3-class 777. As a global services flyer, what is the chance that I will be upgraded to a global first seat? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances? I still love those seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2018 at 10:52 pm Reason: move to exisiting thread
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Cardiac Kid
i know this isn’t really a Global Services question, but figured this would be a knowledgeable crowd. In September, I am scheduled to take a flight that is currently listed as a 3-class 777. As a global services flyer, what is the chance that I will be upgraded to a global first seat? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances? I still love those seats.

Does the flight currently offer tickets for sale in First? If no, I think your odds as a GS on a paid Business fare are quite high.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: United 1K/GS, AA Gold
I don’t think they sell the Global First seats on any flights anymore. I think I read that here.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t think they sell the Global First seats on any flights anymore. I think I read that here.
It's sort of a muddle currently, depending upon when you're flying. You'll have to check inventories and fares for your particular flight.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

Please post your experience afterwards. I will have same situation on two trips in October and November, respectively, SFO-TPE. I am considering flying BR to avoid the 777-200s, but I will get less PQM that may impact my chance for an extra pair of GPUs next year..
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

There's a separate thread about this. Bottom line is that a new priority scheme is expected, but not yet announced.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Going to NRT and KIX next month. Any advice/guidance on how to get in the former Global First seats in advance? Will be paying full fare. TIA
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by CIT85
7/19 CDG-IAD, original flight status had 3/8 F seats assigned. Email from UA on 7/18 informed me of aircraft swap to new config 777.

I wonder how UA handled the 3 F passengers? I assume this means down grade from F to C.
This happened to me once in 2017. I had upgraded to F with a GPU. Last minute swap to Polaris config. GS agents in ORD were super apologetic about it, returned the GPU and gave me a $1500 voucher. I thought that was more than generous, as I was happy to be in the new config anyhow (direct aisle access being my main issue). Not sure if a paid F ticket would've received the same or something more specific to the value of tickets exchanged.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by manstein58
Going to NRT and KIX next month. Any advice/guidance on how to get in the former Global First seats in advance? Will be paying full fare. TIA
AFAIK, unless you are GS you can't do anything to get a GF seat before day of flight. Even then, they are allocated based on fare class of your ticket. If you are on a true F ticket, it would seem the odds are quite good. I would be curious when you purchased your ticket though. I think UA stopped offering them for sale a few weeks ago. If by full fare you mean J/C/D, then your odds should be better, but no guarantees. And of course, the plane actually assigned to your flight may not have FC.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:18 am

[
Good morning all,
I am doubting about the purchase of non-stop EWR-GRU return on a sUA 3 class 777. First class is not for sale and when speaking to a 1K supervisor they told me that it is not clear to them how the upgrade process to ex first works. A 'different' department on day of departure allocates the seats. I am pretty positive there will not be a plane swap - these birds with heavy (and horrible) business have always been on this premium heavy route.
From previous posts I read that upgrades may be allocated to a combination of status and fare paid (which could make sense) - or non-revs ( which of course makes a lot of sense for UA employees - lol) - UA has a shameful monopoly over this route - a P class fare is above $6,500 USD and I do not feel like spending more for the "hope" of a better chance to GF seat.
Honestly I would have preferred a LH style handling - top fliers for free (GS) and a flat fare of XXX money for eveybody else.

My options are
1. book the EWR-GRU, enjoy polaris lounge for dinner and hope for an upgrade (or bite the bullet and sit in subpar c for $4,500 USD!) or
2. take a connecting flight to IAD (where there is no polaris lounge) and ride on a sCO 767 with better seat? - eventually, if I dig enough I may route through IAH where there is a polaris and a 767 to GRU
3. connecting through ORD makes no sense because apart from polaris lounge the same 3 class 777 flies to GRU

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply,
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by cricketrun

My options are
1. book the EWR-GRU, enjoy polaris lounge for dinner and hope for an upgrade (or bite the bullet and sit in subpar c for $4,500 USD!) or
2. take a connecting flight to IAD (where there is no polaris lounge) and ride on a sCO 767 with better seat? - eventually, if I dig enough I may route through IAH where there is a polaris and a 767 to GRU
3. connecting through ORD makes no sense because apart from polaris lounge the same 3 class 777 flies to GRU
My experience in June between ORD and GRU I had requested the upgrade using cash and miles. Upgrade was done at the gate. On IAD-GRU and IAH-GRU a fair number of the 763s that have been converted to the Polaris hard product are being used. This also happened on my GRU-IAH leg in June.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by cricketrun
[
Good morning all,
I am doubting about the purchase of non-stop EWR-GRU return on a sUA 3 class 777. First class is not for sale and when speaking to a 1K supervisor they told me that it is not clear to them how the upgrade process to ex first works. A 'different' department on day of departure allocates the seats. I am pretty positive there will not be a plane swap - these birds with heavy (and horrible) business have always been on this premium heavy route.
From previous posts I read that upgrades may be allocated to a combination of status and fare paid (which could make sense) - or non-revs ( which of course makes a lot of sense for UA employees - lol) - UA has a shameful monopoly over this route - a P class fare is above $6,500 USD and I do not feel like spending more for the "hope" of a better chance to GF seat.
Honestly I would have preferred a LH style handling - top fliers for free (GS) and a flat fare of XXX money for eveybody else.

My options are

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply,
This is exactly why it’s time to allow GF GPU upgrades on P and Z fare.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW, here's what's posted to jetstream.united.com in their July 2018 newsletter:

David
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Just flew UA 960 FRA - ORD with family 3 of us on paid Business -P class - and 2 on Business saver award tickets. All 3 of us were upgraded to F at the gate. Found out about the upgrade only when we boarded and scanner kicked our Bus boarding pass out. Never asked for an upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.