Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryder1650
Arriving in Polaris and have another flight after; would like to take a shower at SFO. Is the arrivals lounge or the Polaris lounge better for showering? Not worried about food or anything else, just the shower experience.
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
PL showers nicer, for sure. Arrivals Lounge quite dated, but still a welcome resource otherwise.
Actually I like the dated Arrivals showers better. Possibly some weird nostalgia on my part. My partner disagrees and prefers the PL.

Maybe try bth.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Just had the best, unexpected, shower experience.

Separate shampoo and conditioner - yes!

Great hairdryer.

Able to use both showerheads for great water pressure.

Happy camper (well apart from the inconsiderate folks in the downstairs area who think we all want to hear their conversations - this used to be little known and very quiet *sigh as first world problem).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posted menu from 05/22/19:

David
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Abbreviated photo walkthru of the buffet on 05/22/19:

Dessert (lemon raspberry tiramisu and almond chocolate chip bars):

Sliders (prosciutto brie + fig marmalade):

Charcuterie, cheeses and wraps:

DIY salad (4 additional prepared salads were served and available but photo is too blurry to post):

Hot dishes (in order: spring vegetable chicken soup, hoisin beef stir fry, chicken tikka masala, rice, samosas and vegetable lasagna):

David
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Apparently this location was named best business class lounge in the world by whoever voted in the Skytrax awards...
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Apparently this location was named best business class lounge in the world by whoever voted in the Skytrax awards...
I wonder how much UA paid for that.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wonder how much UA paid for that.
For all Skytrax’s flaws and warts (and there are many) their World Airline Awards are not paid for. They come from the ratings given in passenger reviews. And airlines who are in with a chance of winning (not UA) encourage pax to write reviews.

As so many other Star airlines’ pax do write reviews. And it’s quite possible that those flying out of SFO on SQ, TK, LH, LX, NH and BR thought “blimey this is a nice lounge” and did a Top Star review for it

Herr’s the press release - https://hub.united.com/polaris-loung...638907631.html

UA also won “Best Business Class Seat in North America” and “Most Improved Airline in North America”.

Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Perhaps the most interesting tidbit from the PR is that it is stated the the IAD Polaris lounge will open next year.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I don't even think SFO is the best; of the network, I like ORD the most. LAX would be if it was 2x larger.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I don't even think SFO is the best; of the network, I like ORD the most. LAX would be if it was 2x larger.
Although I've only been to SFO and LAX, from what I hear SFO has the worst food of all the Polaris lounges.

The space is awfully nice. That alone does put it in the top rank of J lounges. If the food matched LAX it might legitimately make top 3 (or so).
Weatherboy likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Although I've only been to SFO and LAX, from what I hear SFO has the worst food of all the Polaris lounges.

The space is awfully nice. That alone does put it in the top rank of J lounges. If the food matched LAX it might legitimately make top 3 (or so).
I also have only been to LAX and SFO and I preferred LAX (but it was quiet rather than packed at SFO). I have been to SFO three times: on all occasions, I couldn't eat at the sit down as the wait was one hour +, which is ridiculous for an airline lounge. On the last occasion, there was barely anywhere to sit on the bar / buffet side.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
II have been to SFO three times: on all occasions, I couldn't eat at the sit down as the wait was one hour +, which is ridiculous for an airline lounge.
If the buffet were better, that would matter much less.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
On the last occasion, there was barely anywhere to sit on the bar / buffet side.
It's usually empty if you turn right. But I appreciate some may wish to be near the bar.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Connecting in SFO after a 6 hour flight from EWR before heading out on the AM SIN flight. Should arrive at the PL at around 9:15am (which will feel like after noon my time). Can I get lunch items in the restaurant at that hour?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Connecting in SFO after a 6 hour flight from EWR before heading out on the AM SIN flight. Should arrive at the PL at around 9:15am (which will feel like after noon my time). Can I get lunch items in the restaurant at that hour?
I've tried before, didn't work at SFO. Doesn't hurt to ask though?
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Breakfast only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.