Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
<Maybe Sodexo is just a lousy company.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by wco81
<Maybe Sodexo is just a lousy company.
There is no love for Compass either if you read the "thoughts" about the food and service in the AC lounges.
Both Sodexo and Compass are in the institutional food business.
This is what some airlines want and also not to have to deal with staffing and food supply etc.

At least ORD Polaris has some great food and service, at least SFO Polaris has a great space and facilities....and those caramel brownie things.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
That would not be even close to accurate. The dining room closes at approx 9 pm, whereas the lounge is open until midnight.
well then, post 11:00am to 9pm. I was there for lunch. I don’t know what time they close since there was NO SIGN.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Got switched to UA901 in April, departing at 12:20

not enough time to grab lunch from sit down dining?

Last edited by wco81; Nov 20, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milepig
I don’t know what time they close since there was NO SIGN.
I agree they ought to post the hours.

I get the sense though that they want flexibility unbound by posted hours. It's not a particularly well operated lounge.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's a shame, given what a beautiful space it is. I just came back through LAX though, and I think I still prefer the *A lounge in TBIT. I really like the food that NZ-managed lounges manage to put out and the huge atrium is just so pretty. I haven't gotten to try sit-down dining at SFO, but it doesn't sound like I'm missing out on all that much.
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
TLV-SFO-SAN

Flying C TLV-SFO-SAN
Can I access the Polaris lounge in SFO although I am leaving from T3?

I assume the shower in the Polaris lounge is better than the arrival lounge?

Thank all (i'm quite excited about this)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Houminer
Flying C TLV-SFO-SAN

I assume the shower in the Polaris lounge is better than the arrival lounge?

Thank all (i'm quite excited about this)
I just came back through SFO on Saturday. LHR-SFO-SAN and used the Polaris lounge.

I am confused by the T3 reference. SFO-SAN is either out of the 60s or 70s gates and it is a short walk from the Polaris lounge. I had a shower and they gave me one of the mini deodorants. I have never used the Arrivals lounge at SFO so unable to provide a comparison.

I did use the dining option and had the asparagus soup that was really good and the pasta and the sauce was really good. My glass of red wine never arrived, despite the waitress being the one to suggest i have the wine.

The quiet suites are still problematic. Sunshine streaming in, awkward angle to the bed/seat, and up can hear every single conversation as the pax and staff go to the shower suites. I still love the Polaris lounge but wish they would put the quiet suites somewhere quiet, with no sunlight and flat beds.
Houminer and narvik like this.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Nov 26, 2018 at 7:47 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My glass of red wine never arrived, despite the waitress being the one to suggest i have the wine.
That's ridiculous.
If I'd wait on someone and made the effort to suggest a particular dish or drink, and the patron ordered it, I would make darn sure they actually got it, and likely follow up with whether they liked it or not.
Sometimes I think UA hires their lounge waiters with the sole qualification of having NO EXPERIENCE as a waiter whatsoever.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Houminer
Flying C TLV-SFO-SAN
Yes. G Terminal and T3 are connected airside. Opinions differ whether Polaris showers are better than Arrivals lounge. They are certainly newer and more plush.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by narvik
That's ridiculous.
If I'd wait on someone and made the effort to suggest a particular dish or drink, and the patron ordered it, I would make darn sure they actually got it, and likely follow up with whether they liked it or not.
Sometimes I think UA hires their lounge waiters with the sole qualification of having NO EXPERIENCE as a waiter whatsoever.
UA doesn't hire them. The SFO Polaris Lounge is operated by Sodexo, and all staff are employed by that contractor.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
UA doesn't hire them. The SFO Polaris Lounge is operated by Sodexo, and all staff are employed by that contractor.
Fair enough. I still blame UA though; it doesn't say Sodexo Lounge on the entrance.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Fair enough. I still blame UA though; it doesn't say Sodexo Lounge on the entrance.
you know it is tough to hire good people at $15 per our in san francisco right?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
you know it is tough to hire good people at $15 per our in san francisco right?
So the reason why Aussienarelle didn't get wine is because the waitress wasn't paid more than $15/hour?

Originally Posted by wxguy
UA doesn't hire them.
At least I have to give United credit for outsourcing operating the lounge: there's always one great excuse for any shortcomings.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:17 am

Sodexo does a crappy job with the food, as well as the staff training.

Since this is all operated under the UA brand, they really ought to pay a little closer attention to how their contractor is performing.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.