Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I might be imagining this, or indulging in wishful thinking, but if you are on the waitlist for a Polarised flight, can you use the lounge? I wouldn't have thought so but I thought someone asked this question before and the answer was yes.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I might be imagining this, or indulging in wishful thinking, but if you are on the waitlist for a Polarised flight, can you use the lounge? I wouldn't have thought so but I thought someone asked this question before and the answer was yes.
You need a confirmed Polaris boarding pass in order to access the lounge. Until the upgrade clears, unfortunately, you can't get in.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gengar
It took 6 months anyway!

Evaluating the merits of the new Polaris Lounge on whether the current situation is better than the 6 months during which the UC/BR/SQ lounges were closed is beyond absurd. The PL could literally be a warehouse filled with couches and it would technically have been better than premium cabin long-haul business pax getting turned away from the ex-GFL temporary lounge due to capacity restrictions.

The appropriate metric is whether the current situation is sufficiently better than before the lounge closures to justify enduring 6 months of nonsense from UA. During (and before) those 6 months, every word out of every UA person's mouth was that it would be well worth it. Maybe for some UA pax it is a big improvement, but as a BR flier I think I would've been happier with the status quo. And to me, with a 6-month closure and opportunity for a ground-up design, I just don't find it excusable for UA to get so many things wrong.
No, the discussion centered on whether or not UA should have not opened the lounge for another month, not whether or not it was better than before the UC/SQ/BR was closed for renovation. Waiting/not waiting another month was the gist of my post. You're expanding into a larger discussion, which is fine but no need for the "absurd" comment in context of the discussion at the time. It is not "absurd" to say the lounge situation improved immediately in the SFO int'l terminal after the Polaris Lounge opened (relative to the day before). You can expand the discussion out to prior to renovation if you want to. That's a different, larger, discussion.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 16, 2018 at 11:01 am
Old May 16, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
I was there at breakfast on 2 May. I found it quite nice. The buffet carts had a nice selection as well as the table service had a nice omelet.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Do Star Alliance (such as SWISS) J pax get to use this lounge for international flights? Second is the staff the same surly, unhelpful crew that used to service this lounge when it was called the United Club.....never picking up dirty dishes, not cleaning lavs, not refilling food and snarling at the check in desk. In short all the UA trained behaviors.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Do Star Alliance (such as SWISS) J pax get to use this lounge for international flights? Second is the staff the same surly, unhelpful crew that used to service this lounge when it was called the United Club.....never picking up dirty dishes, not cleaning lavs, not refilling food and snarling at the check in desk. In short all the UA trained behaviors.
Per https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Yes, *A international F and J pax will get to use the Polaris lounge, though at point of departure only.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
From EVA forum seems the sit-down service will be closed around 9:15PM, is this true? If yes means almost no EVA and SQ early AM J PAX would enjoy this service. I'm flying BR17 SFO-TPE 1AM tonight, maybe another reason to eat at Centurion first and then skip BR meal.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by tomwhom
From EVA forum seems the sit-down service will be closed around 9:15PM, is this true? If yes means almost no EVA and SQ early AM J PAX would enjoy this service. I'm flying BR17 SFO-TPE 1AM tonight, maybe another reason to eat at Centurion first and then skip BR meal.
Anyone know if there's a contact email for the SFO PL?

Would be nice to get this confirmed.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Please let us know. I was looking forward to checking out the burger next week before boarding BR17, but perhaps that's not in the cards . . . .
Old May 16, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Please let us know. I was looking forward to checking out the burger next week before boarding BR17, but perhaps that's not in the cards . . . .
Sure I will report back. Nazdoom from Eva forum stated EVA opens SFO counter at least 5 hours before departure, so getting to SFO around 8pm may give you a shot. Not participating in TSA Pre✓ ® doesn't help either. Two month ago I have the same BR17 Friday AM flight and the * premium security line cost me at least 35 minutes while normal UA Pre✓ only takes about 10 minutes maximum:

" So I left the airport and returned in the evening. Per the signage that showed up later, the counter was supposed to open at 8:15pm (5 hours and 5 mimutes before departure, not 4 that is advertised). However they opened 10 minutes earlier (there were a half dozen J pax early). I actually got to the airport at 8 so this worked perfectly.

For those who want to checkin early for Polaris lounge access, note that their a la carte dining closes at 9:15pm. This means Eva pax in SFO can use the new Polaris Lounge but your time window to do a la carte dining is 1 hour less however long security and checkin takes (assuming youre checking in for your 1:20am flight at 8:15pm!). "

Last edited by tomwhom; May 16, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Old May 16, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Is it fair to say that the Polaris Lounge is significantly less busy than the Amex Centurion Lounge? I enjoy the food, especially the breakfast, w/ Amex...but the weekday crowds can be a bear.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
So a J pax traveling SFO to YVR on an AC operated flight gets access, but not a J pax traveling on a UA flight? Seems especially confusing for UA flights operated by ACand v.v.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
So a J pax traveling SFO to YVR on an AC operated flight gets access, but not a J pax traveling on a UA flight? Seems especially confusing for UA flights operated by ACand v.v.

I don't think so. It is "long haul" so the AC flight does not qualify. Same rule as ORD PL.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sure I will report back. Nazdoom from Eva forum stated EVA opens SFO counter at least 5 hours before departure, so getting to SFO around 8pm may give you a shot. Not participating in TSA Pre✓ ® doesn't help either. Two month ago I have the same BR17 Friday AM flight and the * premium security line cost me at least 35 minutes while normal UA Pre✓ only takes about 10 minutes maximum:
"
I don't think I'll be there before 10 or 10:30. Hoping Clear will help with security - should give cuts past the BP check. Right up there with GE as best $79 I ever spent.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think I'll be there before 10 or 10:30. Hoping Clear will help with security - should give cuts past the BP check. Right up there with GE as best $79 I ever spent.
BR opened around 8:10pm and I’m the first to CI, after 20+ minutes priority line now I’m in the dining area. The gentlemen waiter is super nice and even tailored my seafood order to only white fish since I don’t want to eat shell fish. I specifically asked the dining service close time and was told it’s closed at 11:15pm on Mon, Wed and Saturday while 9:15pm the rest of the week to cater some flight schedules. Odd or maybe some arrangment with other partners?
Kacee and oopl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.