Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
What was the food at the self-serve stations like
Two hot items, a breaded chicken cutlet and beef bulgogi. The beef looked good, but was really tough and chewy. The chicken was pretty bland. There was a salad bar that looked like it came from the UC. There were also some pasta salads and a small deconstructed cobb salad served in a highball glass. This was around 5 pm. In the dessert area, they had cannoli out when I arrived, but those were replaced with cookies and several custard based desserts.

Originally Posted by cricketer
Was it full at 5pm? I'd have expected it to be really empty at the start of your visit, moving to half full by the end of it.
It got a little more crowded as time passed, but all the suites were taken upstairs when I arrived at 5 pm and the entire upstairs area was pretty lively. Downstairs stayed about the same. They had the area to the far right upstairs, past customer service, roped off the entire time I was there.

They had a ridiculous process for taking a shower, which involved the attendant basically copying ALL the information from my BP down by hand. They were super nice about it though.

I also had trouble getting in with an LAX-SIN BP. That was annoying. Will be interesting to see how it works with an NRT-SFO BP on Monday.

Originally Posted by djsflynn
sadly the spread of food was like the buffet at a three-star hotel.)
lol it is exactly like a Marriott lounge breakfast, but I'm a sucker for the institutional breakfast sausages, which probably each take about a week off my life.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Two hot items, a breaded chicken cutlet and beef bulgogi. The beef looked good, but was really tough and chewy. The chicken was pretty bland. There was a salad bar that looked like it came from the UC. There were also some pasta salads and a small deconstructed cobb salad served in a highball glass. This was around 5 pm. In the dessert area, they had cannoli out when I arrived, but those were replaced with cookies and several custard based desserts.

It got a little more crowded as time passed, but all the suites were taken upstairs when I arrived at 5 pm and the entire upstairs area was pretty lively. Downstairs stayed about the same. They had the area to the far right upstairs, past customer service, roped off the entire time I was there.

They had a ridiculous process for taking a shower, which involved the attendant basically copying ALL the information from my BP down by hand. They were super nice about it though.

I also had trouble getting in with an LAX-SIN BP. That was annoying. Will be interesting to see how it works with an NRT-SFO BP on Monday.

lol it is exactly like a Marriott lounge breakfast, but I'm a sucker for the institutional breakfast sausages, which probably each take about a week off my life.
I don't know the reasoning, but it appears the shower attendants are just noting name and destination. I didn't have my BP handy the last time I went to take a shower in the ORD Lounge, but the attendant just asked for those two things. Agree it's a little weird, but my memory is that is also how they managed the showers when they still had them in the Clubs.

And I would imagine the LAX-SIN BP in SFO trouble is just start-up glitches? I had no trouble using SFO-NRT when at ORD, so hopefully it'll be worked out soon.

If those sausages each take a week off of life, I'm sure I've already lost about 50 years.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I guess they need a little more training. I had no problems entering the ORD Polaris Lounge when connecting to EWR from where the Polaris flight was leaving.

Are you continuing to another destination after arriving in SFO?

Do they have the minty dark chocolates at the entrance to the PL? In ORD, they had them in the entrance but now there's also a big bowl of them near the dining section.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
And I would imagine the LAX-SIN BP in SFO trouble is just start-up glitches?
Believe so. The agent was really struggling with the system interface and simply couldn't get my mobile BP to work. A supervisor was standing behind him but didn't offer any assistance, despite the line backing up behind me. What I found most annoying was the lack of any welcome or apologies for the delay.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Yes separate ticket.

Do they have the minty dark chocolates at the entrance to the PL?
Didn't see that, but I was pretty focused on getting into the lounge and the line backing up behind me.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If those sausages each take a week off of life, I'm sure I've already lost about 50 years.
I'm fond of pointing out that with anything that takes ___ off of your life, that gets taken from the end of your life, so it was probably going to be crap time anyway
wilp888 likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess they need a little more training. I had no problems entering the ORD Polaris Lounge when connecting to EWR from where the Polaris flight was leaving.

Do they have the minty dark chocolates at the entrance to the PL? In ORD, they had them in the entrance but now there's also a big bowl of them near the dining section.
Believe so. The agent was really struggling with the system interface and simply couldn't get my mobile BP to work. A supervisor was standing behind him but didn't offer any assistance, despite the line backing up behind me. What I found most annoying was the lack of any welcome or apologies for the delay.

Yes separate ticket.

Didn't see that, but I was pretty focused on getting into the lounge and the line backing up behind me.
I am pretty sure those are from Chicago-based Vosges, so I would be a little surprised if they stocked them in SFO. Perhaps they'd stock Ghirardelli to give a local feel, although that is a slight step downward in quality.

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm fond of pointing out that with anything that takes ___ off of your life, that gets taken from the end of your life, so it was probably going to be crap time anyway
(Eat the sausages,) "die young, and leave a beautiful corpse."
Old May 4, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
IF I can get going early enough on Monday I am looking forward to stopping in at the new P.L. prior to my SFO-MUC flight. Since the construction started I have gotten used to just arriving in time to board.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Based upon Kacee's report especially on food, I may change my plan before my upcoming mid May BR flight. Go to Centurion lounge for better meal or at least get my stomach half full (LOL) then PL for rest.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am pretty sure those are from Chicago-based Vosges, so I would be a little surprised if they stocked them in SFO. Perhaps they'd stock Ghirardelli to give a local feel, although that is a slight step downward in quality.
I have to confess that I have been eating them without reading the package. But a friend came for dinner two weeks ago and brought us a box of the exotic truffle collection from that company and I know that from now on I will have to stop at the store in the terminal every time I connect through ORD.

But, yes, the Polaris Lounge in SFO needs dark chocolates if they don't have them already.

Other question: what newspapers do they have?
Old May 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by wco81
I'd never seen congee or even heard of it in California. Only seen it overseas.
Obviously you walk into those Chinese restaurants that serve fried rice with soy sauce and fried egg rolls. 😂

The point of my post is... If you don't know what your doing, don't do it. If you want an international section, then do it correctly. Likewise, PF Chang just opened a new restaurant in China. Guess what? They are serving all American, becuase they know if they serve Chinese food in China they would go out of business. Sfo is a major hub for United to the path of Asia. Why do you think they renovated Polaris here and not elsewhere. And since many pax are from Asian countries the choice of Asian food is pretty bad. I prefer the old SKL lounge or even the EVA lounge in terms of food.

And as for my choice of Amex lounge. Yes it's more packed but I never had a problem finding a seat. Also the food there is much much better than this lounge, and UA has a gimmicky dining area. After all most people head to lounge to eat and drink.

Even priority pass lounges can do better.
Troopers likes this.

Last edited by twkidM3; May 4, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I thought so at first, but is it really? It would be strange to have put it in one of the large dutch oven things too.

Here's a close-up from the previously posted photo:
Yes it's oatmeal. See, they even mess up something that is natively American.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 4, 2018 at 8:27 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
Here now

My flight to HK is delayed 2 hours so I’ve had more than enough time here. I got here around 10:30 and had a freshly made omelette in the dining area - it was ok but served with nothing (ie toast or biscuit). I had to get up and leave as soon as I ate the omelette as so many people kept coming up and asking if the food was ok or if I needed anything (first world problems). I’ve been moving around to different seating areas and the little work station chair is my favorite. Just tried the sushi - not good. The little Cobb salad thing was ok. And now am enjoying a nice glass of Chardonnay. In the realm of business class lounges, I give this a B/B-.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Yes separate ticket.
I had no philosophical problem getting in with ICN-SFO on opening day, however, they couldn't get it to handle either my incoming boarding pass, or my separate ticket onward boarding pass. So the agent went in and printed out some sort of dummy boarding pass to let me in. Purely a system limitation. I suspect you'll see the same on your NRT-SFO return.

I have SFO-FRA in early June, and then SFO-LAX-SYD in late June, so we'll see how those ones go. Should be ironed out by then.

I am slightly to concerned to hear about the 5pm crowd - it doesn't really make sense given the flight schedules, but we'll see how it pans out
Old May 4, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

I love those, too! The combo of grease and pepper is awesome!
Old May 4, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
IMO, the physical space is excellent, the bar top-notch, and the staff pleasant and helpful. The food service leaves a bit to be desired, even as compared to the ORD PL, but I am willing to chalk that up to teething troubles. Aside from all that, a fantastic experience and among the best business class lounges in the world, when considering the total package.
tuolumne and narvik like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.