Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by twkidM3

What junk..
Who the heck eats congee with lemon and those condiments? The guy working there asked if I wanted congee. I said, "nope, that's not congee. have you had congee before?" he said, "no". Well, "we don't eat congee with those condiments ." Where did they hire this chef? And 10:45am til 11:45am is break time. No dining service during this time. Back to Amex for me.
Thank you for the pictures. As in ORD PL, the congee is just two dense. I would just say that condiments are just "americanized" although a few of them look acceptable to me.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Thank you for the pictures. As in ORD PL, the congee is just two dense. I would just say that condiments are just "americanized" although a few of them look acceptable to me.
The only thing good for now about this lounge is "big, spacious, and new". Wait a month or so and everything gets beated.. Food at Amex is much much better... They should at least visit Silver Kris or a few Hkg lounges if they want to serve anything remotely Asian/Chinese.

​​​​​
Old May 1, 2018, 3:04 pm

The only thing good for now about this lounge is "big, spacious, and new". Wait a month or so and everything gets beated.. Food at Amex is much much better... They should at least visit Silver Kris or a few Hkg lounges if they want to serve anything remotely Asian/Chinese.

​​​​​
You mean like the stuff UAL serves in their current RCCs/IFLs in Hong Kong and Tokyo? The SQ J lounges in Changi doesn’t serve a food in another league than those UAL clubs, IMO

Not sure what the other photos referencing the condiments proves... Maybe that you’re in America? Big deal...
BlueZebra, Kacee and SkiPremier like this.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The only thing good for now about this lounge is "big, spacious, and new". Wait a month or so and everything gets beated..
​​​​​
Actually, UA's new lounge designs hold up to wear quite well.

They should at least visit Silver Kris or a few Hkg lounges if they want to serve anything remotely Asian/Chinese.
I would hardly point to SKL or CX lounges as paragons of fine Asian dining. SKL has mediocre food. CX lounges at HKIA are gorgeous but the food is nothing special (though I do enjoy the dumplings at the noodle bar).
Old May 1, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by villox
I'm genuinely surprised that the Veuve has stuck around ORD for as long as it has. When you consider that pre-Dec 2016 a United business class ticket only got you whatever was free in the UCs, the Polaris upgrades have been rather remarkable.
In the early days they had the Veuve and also Moet & Chandon brut rose. They quickly dumped the Moet for a California sparkling rose (Chandon) at about 1/3 the price. Yet the Veuve remains. Go figure.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Not sure what the other photos referencing the condiments proves... Maybe that you’re in America? Big deal...
I think the point was that American condiments are incongruous with congee. Imagine if an Asian airline in their lounge said "try some authentic American chili!" but instead of cheese and onions or whatever on the side, they only had soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.

FWIW Las Vegas buffets are in America too but they manage to provide more appropriate condiments.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Isn’t traditional condiments things like pickled or floating garlic and shrimp/seafood? That might be odiferous or difficult to maintain/health code. ( and $$)

I would prefer the congee be replaced with lentil and/or that oddly decadent tomato soup they stock from time to time in the UC. That Campbell’s stuff is brilliant. American condiments for that too please!

or are soups a standing item already?
Old May 2, 2018, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Isn’t traditional condiments things like pickled or floating garlic and shrimp/seafood? That might be odiferous or difficult to maintain/health code. ( and $$)
Common condiments for congee can include pork floss, pickled cucumbers in soy sauce, chopped green onions, slices of a fried dough sort of thing, and peanuts.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Zorak
Common condiments for congee can include pork floss, pickled cucumbers in soy sauce, chopped green onions, slices of a fried dough sort of thing, and peanuts.
And some thousand year egg and fermented bean curd! At least for most Chinese congee. Then there's Thai congee, Indonesian, Vietnamese....
Old May 2, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hirohito888
And some thousand year egg and fermented bean curd! At least for most Chinese congee. Then there's Thai congee, Indonesian, Vietnamese....
UA doesn’t fly to those countries (just tossing a mini BKK/SGN canceled service rant in the mix )

i am curious though whether any of the usual UC food selections are repeated in the PL.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK

What junk..
Who the heck eats congee with lemon and those condiments? The guy working there asked if I wanted congee. I said, "nope, that's not congee. have you had congee before?" he said, "no". Well, "we don't eat congee with those condiments ." Where did they hire this chef? And 10:45am til 11:45am is break time. No dining service during this time. Back to Amex for me.
{M}aybe some asian countries like to eat congee that way, you don't represent the entire asian experience. back to your amex lounge, i hope they have congee to your liking, whatever that is.

​​​​​
as long as you don't beat it, im sure this lounge will be fine. this lounge is far Superior to any Singapore or Hong Kong business class lounge.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2018 at 1:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; removed unneeded comment
Old May 3, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
{M}aybe some asian countries like to eat congee that way, you don't represent the entire asian experience. back to your amex lounge, i hope they have congee to your liking, whatever that is.
If you are a congee expert, please tell us which country has the same condiments as served at the SFO PL. Even in China, condiments used in congree vary greatly from one region to another, but those in PL are not typically used in any region of China (or other Asian countries).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2018 at 1:08 pm Reason: Updated quote to reflect Moderator edit and removed response to removed content
Old May 3, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you are a congee expert, please tell us which country has the same condiments as served at the SFO PL. Even in China, condiments used in congree vary greatly from one region to another, but those in PL are not typically used in any region of China (or other Asian countries).
whatever the condiment is, apparently people like it otherwise the congee pot won't be empty as the picture shows.
uastarflyer and HNLbasedFlyer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2018 at 1:08 pm Reason: Updated quote to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 3, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
whatever the condiment is, apparently people like it otherwise the congee pot won't be empty as the picture shows.
Free food will get taken. Even however bad the food was prior to this renovation, people were still grabbing food. Doesn't mean it's actually good. Honestly I don't think it's too much to ask from UA at SFO, which is a very Asian-centric place to begin with that also happens to be the gateway to the Pacific to serve some half decent Asian food. It doesn't need to be NRT/HKG/SIN/TPE/PVG-level, but maybe at least a little better than Panda Express?
Miggles likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

img
img
img
img
What junk..
What is that in the first picture? Brown rice porridge? It does look unappealing.

Although I also don't recognise the congee ingredients from your other photo as matching any I have seen in Asia, I don't think it's so problematic. For example, in Taiwan I have had chickpeas served as 'British baked beans', which is weird, but it didn't taste bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.