Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Starwood, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hilton Honors, AAdvantage
Access after International arrival with xfer to domestic?

Will be arriving Polaris J from LHR and xfer domestic to LAX? Is the SFO Polaris Club accessible or will I have to exit arrival terminal and clear immigration?
​​​​​Thanks!

Last edited by jimmieg; Aug 7, 2022 at 10:40 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jimmieg
Will be arriving Polaris J from LHR and xfer domestic to LAX? Is the SFO Polaris Club accessible or will I have to exit arrival terminal and clear immigration?
​​​​​Thanks!
Everyone arriving on such a flight from LHR has to clear immigration at SFO
canadiancow and ARR72 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jimmieg
​​​​​Thanks!
Yes you will have to exit on arrival but then you will be re-clearing security for your domestic flight. Concourses E,F (domestic) and G (international and where the PL is) are connected airside. So once you clear security for the domestic flight you will have access to the G Concourse PL.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes you will have to exit on arrival but then you will be re-clearing security for your domestic flight. Concourses E,F (domestic) and G (international and where the PL is) are connected airside. So once you clear security for the domestic flight you will have access to the G Concourse PL.
And in LA you will have access as well.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:25 am

is it right that the australia flights leave late enough that we shouldn't plan to eat in the PL (for an 11pm departure, i'm probably getting to the airport at 8 or 830). Does the bar close the same time as sit down dining?

Last edited by desafino; Aug 14, 2022 at 6:31 am
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by desafino
is it right that the australia flights leave late enough that we shouldn't plan to eat in the PL (for an 11pm departure, i'm probably getting to the airport at 8 or 830).
Just trying to clarify what you intended to ask about.

Are you asking if you should/need to plan to eat in the SFO Polaris Lounge (PL) prior to boarding a late night flight to Australia? If you are willing to eat what UA serves on the plane as your meal, you don't have to eat in the PL. You can ultimately do what you want.

If you are asking that, since the flights to Australia leave so late at night, is it right for UA to require passengers to arrive at the airport early enough to plan to eat in the PL instead of on the aircraft? Per se, no, but that's the challenge that current United Polaris flyers have to deal with given lounge server/preparer/food sourcing challenges as well as UA's issues with catering for its on-board meals and snacks.

David
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OP is asking when they stop serving dinner in the PL, and whether he can still get a decent meal arriving at SFO in the 8-8:30 pm window.

I haven't been recently, but my sense is it would be touch and go whether sit down dining will still be available by the time you've reached the lounge (and that they'll start pulling the buffet shortly thereafter).

Others who have been in the past couple months may have more accurate information.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
OP is asking when they stop serving dinner in the PL, and whether he can still get a decent meal arriving at SFO in the 8-8:30 pm window.

I haven't been recently, but my sense is it would be touch and go whether sit down dining will still be available by the time you've reached the lounge (and that they'll start pulling the buffet shortly thereafter).
If Polaris Club sit down dining and buffet is closed - Napa Farms Market is open until 10pm, I'd grab something to go for the flight - it will certainly be better than what is served on board.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:58 pm

I'm on UA926 FRA 7:20pm, how early should I arrive to get a meal in the dining room? I'm not holding out for anything good inflight
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

Others who have been in the past couple months may have more accurate information.
I flew SFO-MEL recently and the buffet was open when I left the lounge shortly before 10.

Food on the flight was decent.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by erics2356
I'm on UA926 FRA 7:20pm, how early should I arrive to get a meal in the dining room? I'm not holding out for anything good inflight
Plan to arrive by 5-5:30pm, which should give you a 1-1.5 hour window (1.5-2 hours if you don't mind boarding towards the end of the boarding process).
erics2356 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I was in the SFO PL Sunday night from around 830-955pm. The dining room was still fairly full as I was leaving (I did not do ala carte, just buffet). I don’t know when those folks were seated, and if they were just finishing up?

I still think the SFO PL buffet is the weakest of all of them all.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by erics2356
I have been wanting to do this, and your post spurred me on. An ode for your journey…

Twas the night before Polaris, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;

The luggage was set by the front door with care,

In hopes that the Uber would on time be there;

The passenger was nestled all snug in their bed;

While visions of pre-departure beverages and warm breadbaskets danced in their head;

With the crew settled in too, and I in my cap,

Had just settled my brain for a long night’s nap,

When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from my nap to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Only to realize it was a dream - I was already at the bash.

The average cheeses, sandwiches, and store-bought cookies on display at the Polaris Lounge’s buffet show;

Gave something short of a lustre to the food that was in tow,

When what to my wondering eyes did appear,

But a dining room with a waiting list for a burger and a beer,

Then I looked at my watch and knew I needed to be quick,

I knew in that moment it was to the gate in a tick.
More rapid than eagles the gate lice they came,

And the PA system whistled, and shouted, and called out by name:

"Unaccompanied minors! now, Customers with disabilities! now Active military and Global Services!

“Now families traveling with kids 2 and under, now 1K! Then finally Group 1!”
It seemed like forever, I had waited a ton!

To the jetway! to the left turn after door 2L!

Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!

As I had hoped there were PDB’s offered before we fly,

But the “champagne,” it tasted like sprite and made me wry;

So back from the gate the ground crew made do

With the plane full of passengers, and some surly attendants too—

And then, in a twinkling, I heard from a member of the crew,

“Beef, chicken, or fish, and give me your order of preference, too.”

As I thought in my head, and wanted to know more,

They showed me a picture of what might be in store.

I ordered the chicken unsure of my choice,

At least it was real, albeit as dry as my voice,

A decent salad with a piece of bread wrapped in plastic,

Was all that accompanied this meal that was far from fantastic.

The crew members’ eyes—how they squinted! Their strange looks, how scary!

Their words were minimal, they returned to the galley in a hurry!

I was ready for dessert and wasn’t given a choice,
So I gambled on the sundae that was hard as a Rolls Royce;
At least I had a comfortable seat with a nice pillow and duvet,

But I could not the believe the price for Polaris some would pay;

As long as they can sell these seats, my hat to Scott Kirby,

But I won’t remember with fondness this experience that’s been more than topsy-turvy.

Shortly before landing I was awakened, “would you like some horchata or frittata with bacon?”

I had to say yes, given the fare they had taken;

A glare that was given and a twist of their head

Soon gave me to know I may have something to dread;

But actually, it wasn’t so bad.
Although that cold poor croissant and tiny fruit bowl made me kinda mad.
And pushing my tray table up to a close,

Our widebody aircraft would soon land to pose;

The captain sprang to his mic, to his team gave a whistle,

And away they all gabbed and talked as fast as a missile.

Just seconds later I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight—

“Welcome to Frankfurt to all, and to all a good flight!”

Last edited by COA777; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:50 pm
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:49 pm

Where are all the SFO PL pictures?

I recall there being some pictures posted of the PL at SFO... have those posts been removed?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Was in there just after 9 pm last week. Dining room wasn't accepting any new guests, although there were a few groups still in there finishing up. Buffet was still available.

Lounge was packed on the bar/buffet side of the escalators (with a line of 5-10 people waiting for a drink at the bar each time I passed to/from the buffet). On the other side of the escalator, it was less than 50% full.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.