Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Buffet selection is abysmal compared to ORD.

That's my big issue. I've also found the front desk staff rude my past several visits, one gentleman in particular.

While the area near the bar and buffet is often packed, I've never had a problem finding a quiet area to sit, either at the eastern end of the upper level or on the lower level.
My server has the usual “I wish I wasn’t here” UA demeanor.
They're not UA employees. Sodexo.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's my big issue. I've also found the front desk staff rude my past several visits, one gentleman in particular.

While the area near the bar and buffet is often packed, I've never had a problem finding a quiet area to sit, either at the eastern end of the upper level or on the lower level.

At my company anyone we contract is held to the same standards as our employees.

Also it’s only 10:15 but some lunch type food has come up to the buffet and it’s a better selection than breakfast.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At my company anyone we contract is held to the same standards as our employees.
SFO is a poorly managed station. The Polaris lounge particularly so.
cesco.g and nexusCFX like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by chavala
Here now. Overcrowded, disgusting buffet food, people watching videos without headphones and screaming children everywhere. What has happened to this place? It didn’t used to be like this.
What is with the disrespect evidenced by the behaviors you mention here? Whenever I make/receive a call, I get up and go to a private area or outside the club to preserve the quiet ambiance for fellow travelers, and I can't believe the proliferation of people playing media through speakers in the lounge-it's become an epidemic-and don't get me started on wild children!

Pathological narcissism will be the destruction of our society-that along with unbridled consumerism.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chemengin
I've always found the area on the opposite end of the buffet on the 2nd floor to be nearly empty as well.
That is usually my go-to place, but the sofa area had a large family sitting in it and they somehow convinced the staff to put the cartoon channel on the TV above it!

And what is with that buffet? Are there warmers under each pan and that’s why they can’t move them?
I can’t think of any other reason they would have them displayed so far apart as if they were museum pieces.
Why not have a few more dishes? It really was pathetic.

But the biggest mystery to me is, has something changed? Or has it always been like this and now I’m just jaded?
I thought the place was heaven on earth when it first opened.
ORD is so much better.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Finding good employees at the salaries these sorts of position pay is a pervasive problem in the Bay Area.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Finding good employees at the salaries these sorts of position pay is a pervasive problem in the Bay Area.
Absolutely true. But I've spoken with some of the staff who care, and they express frustration with station management as out of touch and unresponsive. There's certainly little evidence of active management in the Polaris lounge.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
The SFO Polaris lounge is contracted to/managed by Sodexo. A recent job posting shows $22/hr for a lounge food supervisor.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
The SFO Polaris lounge is contracted to/managed by Sodexo.
As already noted:
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by chavala
Originally Posted by chemengin
I've always found the area on the opposite end of the buffet on the 2nd floor to be nearly empty as well.
That is usually my go-to place, but the sofa area had a large family sitting in it and they somehow convinced the staff to put the cartoon channel on the TV above it!
They also tend to start cleaning this area (and basically shutting it down) pretty early, making it less useful for the late departures.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by wxguy
A recent job posting shows $22/hr for a lounge food supervisor.
$22 an hour is like high school student wages, hopefully folks are leaving tips.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
$22 an hour is like high school student wages, hopefully folks are leaving tips.
I know it has been awhile since high school. If a high school student in 2019 can make $22 an hour while in school, I think that is pretty good, especially California minimum wage is $12 an hour. https://www.minimum-wage.org/california

I totally agree with you that even at $22 is hard to find someone to be a lounge food supervisor, especially in Northern California.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The number $22 sounds quite good.

The problem is it's the SF Bay Area, and it's hard to live on $22/hr, $25/hr, even $30/hr. That means you will be commuting from far away — Gilroy, etc. — or relying on family support, or maybe both. Then when you get to the nice Polaris lounge, you won't be very happy to see the patrons.

UA should just pay more. Relative to their net system costs, it wouldn't be that much, but it would make a large difference for the passenger — and employee — experience.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
The problem is it's the SF Bay Area, and it's hard to live on $22/hr, $25/hr, even $30/hr. That means you will be commuting from far away — Gilroy, etc. — or relying on family support, or maybe both.
Daly City or South City. That's where many airport employees live.

I find most of the employees pretty enthusiastic (excepting the front desk, who I believe are UA). They're just not managed well.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
HUD considers a family of 4 making $117,000 in San Francisco as low income.

You are considered low income if single at $82,000

It doesn't change that much as you move away from SF

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/fami...francisco.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.