Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:34 pm

Hello, we run an airline with world-wide service spanning basically all timezones, but we think any flight leaving after 8pm should not serve dinner and no one will want lunch at in our west coast lounge at 10am.

It makes no sense.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
Hello, we run an airline with world-wide service spanning basically all timezones, but we think any flight leaving after 8pm should not serve dinner and no one will want lunch at in our west coast lounge at 10am.
My apologies, but I can't tell who you are quoting, exactly: is that a Kirby or Smisek quote?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
It makes no sense.
It does to an airline that only serves breakfast on West-East flights that arrive at 6:30pm.

United is Denny's with wings: all-breakfast all the time.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Flew out on UA 58 a few days ago.

I got to the sit-in dining and had to make a reservation and they gave me a pager.

Wait was about 45-50 minutes around noon. It was getting close to boarding time of 1 PM and I didn't get seated until 12:35-12:40. Then another 5 minutes to take an order.

Ordered the bruschetta and the plank salmon. I didn't mind the small portion of the plank salmon but the taste was bland without the sun dried tomato.

Best salmon I ever had from an airline was on VA on a flight from SYD to AKL. This offering at the lounge paled by far in comparison.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Anyone know what time the restaurant starts serving lunch/dinner options?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP

It makes no sense.
Or serving breakfast when arriving in Asia at 7pm.

Originally Posted by chemengin
Anyone know what time the restaurant starts serving lunch/dinner options?
I think it is 11:30. Can confirm on Tuesday.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Or serving breakfast when arriving in Asia at 7pm.

I think it is 11:30. Can confirm on Tuesday.
I have a 1:30pm SFO to FRA sometime next month. Would it be excessive to sit down for breakfast and lunch separately?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by chemengin
I have a 1:30pm SFO to FRA sometime next month. Would it be excessive to sit down for breakfast and lunch separately?
Hell no!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj

Hell no!
I would say that's the response to getting a beer at any hour in a Polaris lounge. No one knows where you came from.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
It does to an airline that only serves breakfast on West-East flights that arrive at 6:30pm.

United is Denny's with wings: all-breakfast all the time.
Not being a big breakfast eater, and then being forced to eat it on the airplane, it sure would big nice to at least make it close to home. And that to me is hot sauce - tabasco on eggs, hot sauce generally on everything.

So what is everyone's experience along these lines? I recall this coming up a ways back, and I tried it, and the FA was very grumpy but dug up a few from the unused bloody marys. Is there more of us that wish they had it, and would you consider it bad manners to push to get it?

I'd bring on a bottle of death sauce for some flights if it would stay good and get past TSA.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by katan
I'd bring on a bottle of death sauce for some flights if it would stay good and get past TSA.
Your answer:

Tabasco Original Pepper Sauce Miniature Size 1/8 Oz. Ea.
mstraveler, In2ishn and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
A FA once clued me into these little packets. I now carry 20 of these in my backpack when flying. Has materially improved the quality of meals on flights! Available at World Market.

kirkwoodj, katan, cuthroat and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
A FA once clued me into these little packets. I now carry 20 of these in my backpack when flying. Has materially improved the quality of meals on flights! Available at World Market.
United's food needs a lot of help if you have to apply 20 packets of this stuff to mask the original taste.
iluv2fly, Xyzzy and narvik like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Had a few items off the buffet a few days ago and nothing was good. Indeed, the banana pudding was abysmal.

The Cioppino, which I liked in the past, was gone from the menu.
porciuscato and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So my past couple of trips to the Polaris lounge at SFO the dining room options and the buffet options have had no appeal that I nipped across to the Centurion Club for a meal and then came back to the Polaris lounge to work quietly downstairs. I like the SFO Polaris lounge for the showers and the quiet working area downstairs. Food options are abysmal.

I certainly understand why the food on the plane may be unappealing but in a place like SFO why they cannot do a brunch menu to cater for people wanting either breakfast or lunch is beyond me.

It is worth flying through ORD for the small dining area in the Polaris lounge. The food menu options were wonderful.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I like the SFO Polaris lounge for the showers and the quiet working area downstairs. Food options are abysmal.
IMO they've been abysmal since the day the lounge opened. While UA has done well with the cap-ex, the penny-pinching on the operations side has really cheapened the Polaris experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.