Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sodexo does a crappy job with the food, as well as the staff training.

Since this is all operated under the UA brand, they really ought to pay a little closer attention to how their contractor is performing.
Exactly.
Surely UA can specify their requirements and follow-up and inspect the services provided and make sure they meet their specifications.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sodexo does a crappy job with the food....
Extrapolating: I take it then, that the ORD Polaris Lounge is NOT operated by Sodexo?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
you know it is tough to hire good people at $15 per our in san francisco right?
SFO operates under the city's "Minimum Compensation Ordinance" for public facilities. The minimum wage for for-profit tenants under MCO is currently $17 per hour.

See: SFO Minimum Compensation Ordinance
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by narvik
Extrapolating: I take it then, that the ORD Polaris Lounge is NOT operated by Sodexo?
It definitely is operated by Sodexo.
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
It definitely is operated by Sodexo.
Interesting.
It appears then, that at ORD someone at UA applies stricter Sodexo enforcement regarding food quality!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
...I did use the dining option and had the asparagus soup that was really good and the pasta and the sauce was really good. My glass of red wine never arrived, despite the waitress being the one to suggest i have the wine...
In my experience the last three times I've visited, getting wine or anything other than coffee requires the server to go to the bar to get the item. I think they input it on a terminal in the back, an order pops out at the bar and the server has to go and retrieve the drink. It's a bit awkward given the distance and at times I think the Dining Room servers get distracted by other duties and forget to go to the bar. Not making an excuse, but I think the logistical design of this service element is lacking overall thought. Rather than blame the server, I'd attribute this to Sodexo design.

With regard to UA inspecting what they expect, I have on all but one occasion seen UA management on site at SFO trying to ensure all service elements are being done correctly. I think the criticism here is a bit much.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
After reading the last few pages I had very low expectations for my first visit to the SFO Polaris Lounge (visited ORD before).
I was there around 12pm last Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) and had to wait for a table for maybe 5 minutes.
I had my drink and meal order placed within 2 minutes of sitting down - my glass of champagne arrived within a minute,

5 minutes later my wedge salad was served and another 5 minutes later the bento box arrived. By then traffic in the dining
area had died down considerably.

After lunch I sat near the bar and servers constantly roamed and offered drinks. I was actually pleasantly surprised. My glass was never empty.
My only regret is that I should have gone for the burger....

All in all not a bad visit. Looking forward to a few more in 2019.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
Originally Posted by narvik
Interesting.
It appears then, that at ORD someone at UA applies stricter Sodexo enforcement regarding food quality!
Maybe United's budget is the same for ORD and SFO, but SFO uses up most of it for salaries vs. food?
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by roesner
After reading the last few pages I had very low expectations for my first visit to the SFO Polaris Lounge (visited ORD before).
I think everyone agrees the space is pretty nice. The food is subpar compared to top business class lounges elsewhere. The dining room option somewhat mitigates the what I feel is a very weak buffet, but it's only available limited hours (closed on 3 of my 5 visits).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Maybe United's budget is the same for ORD and SFO, but SFO uses up most of it for salaries vs. food?
@:-) Winner @:-) Winner @:-)

Sodexo is not paying $17 an hour to staff in the ORD Polaris Lounge.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof

From what I can tell Sodexo is subject to the airport contractor minimum of $13.45 + inflation.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:48 pm

Getting a cappuccino now requires walking up to the bar and requesting them to make it ... why not use the illy machines as before?

After all, it's just the bartender pushing a button vs a barista
porciuscato likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Having visited this lounge prior to Thanksgiving, I was actually really disappointed by some of the offerings, and can't seem to understand some of the decisions that were made when constructing the space.

The space in the lounge is so variable when it comes to crowds. The bar, self-serve food, and dining area are all in one area, leaving this area incredibly dense with passengers. The far end of the 2nd floor remained ridiculously empty during my 4 hour stay while the food area was jam-packed.

Also, getting a table at the dining room during peak time was absolutely atrocious. There was approximately a 20 minute wait when I first arrived, and no clear queuing order or system to be added to the waitlist. The "host" had to be tracked down to add your name to the pad of paper. She would then yell out names quite loudly when your table was ready. Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't a dedicated hostess and pagers be better to manage peak demand?

Also, the service at the dining area, like others have mentioned, definitely is on the low-side. I can't think of a nice way to say this, but there seems to be no incentive to go out of the way to serve customers. Not sure if it's the pay or lack of tips, but trying to get a server's attention appeared close to impossible.

The other Polaris lounges imo blow SFO out of the water.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by malgudi
Getting a cappuccino now requires walking up to the bar and requesting them to make it ... why not use the illy machines as before?
The absence of self-serve coffee machines is one of the more annoyingly inexplicable flaws at this lounge.
findark and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by transportprof

Seems like it'd still be on UA for allocating the same budget to each location then. They're hardly the only enterprise operating multiple locations in different jurisdictions with different operating costs and others manage to deliver a consistent experience so it's certainly possible.
roesner and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the primary issue at SFO is not the pay — although given cost of living in the Bay, higher pay surely would help — but headcount. At ORD there is one main server for essentially eight two-tops. SFO apparently has one server for essentially double that (depending on how the centre-island booths are accounted).

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I just came back through SFO on Saturday. LHR-SFO-SAN and used the Polaris lounge.

I am confused by the T3 reference. SFO-SAN is either out of the 60s or 70s gates and it is a short walk from the Polaris lounge. I had a shower and they gave me one of the mini deodorants. I have never used the Arrivals lounge at SFO so unable to provide a comparison.

I did use the dining option and had the asparagus soup that was really good and the pasta and the sauce was really good.
My glass of red wine never arrived, despite the waitress being the one to suggest i have the wine.

The quiet suites are still problematic. Sunshine streaming in, awkward angle to the bed/seat, and up can hear every single conversation as the pax and staff go to the shower suites. I still love the Polaris lounge but wish they would put the quiet suites somewhere quiet, with no sunlight and flat beds.
Same experience! It was my first time there. I eventually just went and got it myself. The server never apparently realised I served myself. Now I have learned to BYO.
narvik and Aussienarelle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.