Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
SFO Polaris Lounge Reopened - 4 January 2022

United Airlines Unveils United Polaris Lounge at San Francisco International Airport
Lounge is first of four United Polaris lounges expected to open this year

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2018
-- Beginning April 30, customers traveling in United Polaris, the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, will be able to relax and dine prior to their travels or refresh upon arrival in the new United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) conveniently located in the International Terminal near Gate G92.
United Polaris Lounge at SFO Facts & Highlights
  • Two levels across more than 28,000 square feet
  • 440 seats
  • 19 different types of seating
  • 492 power outlets and 492 USB ports
  • 8 pieces of art by prominent Bay Area artists, all San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Society for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA) Art Award honorees
  • 5 private daybeds outfitted with Saks Fifth Avenue bedding
  • 8 luxurious shower suites, featuring rainfall showers and Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Personal valet services, including steaming garments
  • "The Dining Room" – a private restaurant style dining area with a menu designed by Chef Tritia Gestuvo, a California native, that blends international comfort foods — such as a traditional Chinese congee breakfast and hand-cut pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragout — with staples like the United Polaris Burger
  • A bistro-like buffet that includes a ramen noodle bar in the afternoon and additional unique-to-San Francisco treats that align with the flight schedule and destinations of United and Star Alliance partners
  • Cocktails inspired by the Bay Area, including the Mai Tai, invented in Oakland in 1944, and the Pisco Punch, featuring pisco which became all the rage during the California Gold Rush of 1849
For more photos of the United Polaris lounge at SFO, visit the United Newsroom
Originally Posted by djsflynn
... Also and for those interested, here's a link to download a PDF (10.5MB) copy of the Polaris SFO menus, as provided to media in the press pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjv4i9s97g...0Menu.pdf?dl=0
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. SFO-TPE
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. LAX-SFO-NRT or NRT-SFO-LAX
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. NRT-SFO

Hours - 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily
reportedly a la carte dining closes at 9PM

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr, old GFL is intl prem cabin lounge
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best SFO United Club?
Print Wikipost

SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does anyone know the current status of the G concourse regular UA Club that was closed due to a water leak - has it re-opened, or specific to this Polaris thread, are Air Canada *G and business class passengers departing from the G concourse permitted to use the Polaris Lounge by the special agreement between AC/UA for G concourse lounge access?

For those unaware, before you answer, Air Canada negotiated an agreement with United that granted their *G/Business customers access to the interim international UC on G while Polaris was under construction, which at that time was an issue due to overcrowding in that lounge. After the Polaris Lounge opened, all non-Polaris eligible customers were directed to that former interim lounge - however when it closed due to a water leak, everyone except Air Canada customers were sent to the domestic terminal UCs and AC customers were to be admitted to Polaris due to that agreement about having an available lounge on the G concourse.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Not sure I agree the GFL had better food than the new lounge. Overcooked teriyaki chicken and soba noodle salad? The sushi is the same as I recall. I think the Polaris lounge has much better food options than the GFL did and a more diverse array of beverages. I hope they get service right.
Showing my age, back in the day when the GFL was catered by Max's Cafe, that food was better than the Polaris buffet. I think the food in the Polaris dining room is better than the GFL ever was.

Service really is a problem, though - I'm guessing it's because (a) the average person dining in the Polaris dining room @ SFO has an expectation of excellent service when they eat at a restaurant, and (b) Sodexo isn't paying servers enough (especially without tips) to get people who have experience providing that level of service.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does anyone know the current status of the G concourse regular UA Club that was closed due to a water leak, has it re-opened , ...
Was just closed for a few days, it is presently open
Originally Posted by bocastephen
are Air Canada *G and business class passengers departing from the G concourse permitted to use the Polaris Lounge by the special agreement between AC/UA for G concourse lounge access? ...
No, *A partner passengers will be directed to the G98 UC.

Unless their SFO departing flight is
Long-haul international flights include those from the U.S. to Asia, Australia, Europe and select South American countries, including Argentina, Brazil and Chile.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2018 at 3:20 pm Reason: Polaris admission rules for partner flights link
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by greg99
...and (b) Sodexo isn't paying servers enough (especially without tips) to get people who have experience providing that level of service.
Have a question on 'tips': how many here are actually tipping at the Polaris lounges? I do, but not so sure that is generally the case.
Is it not expected?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Have a question on 'tips': how many here are actually tipping at the Polaris lounges? I do, but not so sure that is generally the case.
Is it not expected?
I typically will tip the bar tender at SFO provided the service is good. Nothing huge but I always throw them a few bucks.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Third visit yesterday, arriving around 4:30 p.m. Really like the space downstairs and upstairs opposite direction from the food. Very serene, great tarmac views, and the cubes are luxurious and convenient. Interestingly, the most popular/crowded area (around the bar) is IMO the least appealing, by a fairly large margin.

Food remains consistently disappointing in my view. Same weak buffet as my first visit in April. Four months in, you'd hope they change it up a little bit. There is literally nothing in this buffet that I want to eat (except for the desserts).

I had a burger in the private dining area. The service was excellent, the burger itself a little disappointing . . . not much flavor.

Still, it was a pleasant place to kill a couple hours and catch up on work calls. I do wonder how long before they figure out a way to start monetizing all the empty space.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Completely share your experience, Kacee, re food, esp the buffet.
Have not been lately to ORD nor EWR, but reports on food from those PL lounges sound much more appealing.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I do wonder how long before they figure out a way to start monetizing all the empty space.
Yeah, was thinking the same thing.
Pretty sure this won't last too long. On my visit from a few days ago (~7pm) I was surprised how empty it was.
Can imagine they will offer a new premium CHASE CC with added Polaris entry for an annual fee of USD900 sometime in the near future.

BTW, also had the burger, and thought it was pretty decent. At least better than expected. Could have benefited from a slice of beetroot, or something vinegary, but not bad at all, IMO.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I had a burger in the private dining area. The service was excellent, the burger itself a little disappointing . . . not much flavor.
Managed to fit in a visit to the sit down dining on a recent connection at SFO. My experience re burger were exactly the same. It looked nice but didn’t appear to be seasoned. I added quite a bit of pepper to it.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ID checking at SFO PL

Entering this week the SFO PL agent asked for ID beside BP. Thinking it might be travel related I ask: PP ?
No any ID, she goes. "Hmm, new policy?" I go. She says yes, because there have been folks bringing in additional "family members"
by switching BPs.
Wondering, if this is SFO only or new PL-wide policy ?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Entering this week the SFO PL agent asked for ID beside BP. Thinking it might be travel related I ask: PP ?
No any ID, she goes. "Hmm, new policy?" I go. She says yes, because there have been folks bringing in additional "family members"
by switching BPs.
Got asked for my ID upon entering the lounge today. Was a bit taken aback.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"Hmm, new policy?" I go. She says yes, because there have been folks bringing in additional "family members"
by switching BPs.
I wish I could say I'm surprised people are trying to pull that kind of bs. I wonder if they've actually caught anyone.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
FWIW, at the ORD PL, whenever I'm flying out on an international flight I'm asked for my passport so that they can put the DOCs OK stamp on my boarding pass. On the return, when I go to the PL waiting for my flight home, I have been asked for my ID about 30% of the time. I thought it was depending on who was working the desk at the time. This happened too in 2017.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA MP
by switching BPs.
I've been asked for ID at the PL lounge as well, and it was the first one where I entered using that particular ticket. I wonder if they could see if the same BP was been scanned before as I assume some pax with longer layovers may be re-entering the lounge more than once, could raise some unnecessary red flags.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:40 pm

i say this is unique to SFO because I have experienced request for ID too before entering. never experienced this request at EWR or IAH Polaris Lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.