Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel with no status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Presumably you received a boatload of miles from the bug bounty program, why not look for saver awards for first or business class? You'll get Premier Access, group 1 lane, 2 checked bags for free with priority tag, United Club access if traveling internationally, and guaranteed seating in first/business class without dealing with the upgrade lottery.
I suspect the OP is / will. However, I also suspect the OP is trying to 'make' something out of these trips; hence the status question. After all, what happens when the miles dry up? Always gotta keep one eye on the horizon
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You realize that you dont actually have to fly United, right?
If heading overseas, you can fly AC or LH out of DTW.
If you fly AC to YYZ, you will then have a choice of some of the world's best airlines for your longhauls like EVA, but also Austrian, LOT, Turkish, with much better product than United or Air Canada. Ethiopian, Brussels, Lufthansa, Copa, Avianca, EgyptAir, as well as UA partner AerLingus all fly out of YYZ.
So a short hop on AC, and the world is wide open. Availability is much better out of YYZ than EWR/ORD for international flights because of the amount of foreign carriers.

If you are redeeming your miles for domestic travels, yes, you will need to pay for bags, E+, etc
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Given the OP's post, i believe it is yes to both questions (and in premium class) in case he didn't give that hint out enough
That's all well and good but not really answering my question. The hints the OP gave indicate that it could be several medium security bugs or loads of low security bugs. So, to rephrase it. I was interested to know if the OP had found any that gives the 1,000,000 award miles for one event.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by prometa
Not with flight miles, only with credit card miles. This is a Chase benefit, not a UA airlines provided benefit

Do award seats count as BIS for the million miler program? ...
No
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
That's all well and good but not really answering my question. The hints the OP gave indicate that it could be several medium security bugs or loads of low security bugs. So, to rephrase it. I was interested to know if the OP had found any that gives the 1,000,000 award miles for one event.
First, let's kept this thread focused on the OP's query.

Second, discussion of the Bug Bounty programs is covered in another thread , United Airlines Bug Bounty Program - Up to 1,000,000 points
To get the miles, participants sign NDA, The programT&Cs stats
Bugs or potential Bugs you discover may not at any time be disclosed publicly or to a third-party. Doing so will disqualify you from receiving award miles.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First, let's kept this thread focused on the OP's query.

Second, discussion of the Bug Bounty programs is covered in another thread , United Airlines Bug Bounty Program - Up to 1,000,000 points
To get the miles, participants sign NDA, The programT&Cs stats
Thank you. Some posts on that thread answered the question I had.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can't you pay for UA tickets purchased on a UA Explorer card with UA Miles? It's 1 CPM, so a pretty bad redemption rate, but, on the other hand, if OP is earning > 1MM miles, he/she could nearly get to 1K that way.
The answer is apparently no, but it's also worth bearing in mind that UA will file a 1099 valuing the miles at 2c per mile which means poor value redemptions may actually end up costing OP money after taking the tax hit into account.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Most passengers on a given flight have no status, and they survive their trips just fine.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:48 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by unitedmiles
One issue is that I cannot achieve any status at all via award travel. Is there a potential "workaround" here? Can I use some miles to make award travel suck less? Excluding doing first/business fares, which I certainly intend to.
Congrats on the miles!
I’m surprised no one else has suggested this, but what you need to do is book a couple of award tickets on some busy routes and volunteer to get bumped as many times as possible (don’t worry, they’ll put you up in a hotel and feed you as well if you get stuck somewhere). You can then use those e-certificates to book travel on any UA operated flight (can’t do codeshares) and earn all the PQD/PQS/PQDs required to earn status as well as lifetime miles.

There are a couple of threads on this board regarding voluntary bumps. There was recently a thread about UA offering $7,000 to get bumped from a flight: UA 665 over sold by 50. IAH - EWR
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
I’m surprised no one else has suggested this, but what you need to do is book a couple of award tickets on some busy routes and volunteer to get bumped as many times as possible
This is a lot less lucrative than it once was -- UA isn't overselling its flights nearly as much as they did prior to last April. There'd be a lot of luck involved in getting bumped even once... especially if you're trying to do it on a saver award, as those won't open up on flights that UA believes will be able to fill.

A passenger with last-seat everyday award availability (i.e., an eligible United credit card or elite status) might be able to target flights that are showing F0 Y1, but risks being out 32,500 miles each way if the gambit fails. And if UA catches on, they may decide this is abuse and close your account, forfeiting the miles in the process.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by mjg59
... it's also worth bearing in mind that UA will file a 1099 valuing the miles at 2c per mile which means poor value redemptions may actually end up costing OP money after taking the tax hit into account.
2cpm is high, most reports are closer to 1 cpm and even that can be easily challenged. And if one is in a lower tax bracket, the actual "costs" are modest.

Originally Posted by mr8
I’m surprised no one else has suggested this, but what you need to do is book a couple of award tickets on some busy routes and volunteer to get bumped as many times as possible (don’t worry, they’ll put you up in a hotel and feed you as well if you get stuck somewhere). You can then use those e-certificates to book travel on any UA operated flight (can’t do codeshares) and earn all the PQD/PQS/PQDs required to earn status as well as lifetime miles.

There are a couple of threads on this board regarding voluntary bumps. There was recently a thread about UA offering $7,000 to get bumped from a flight: UA 665 over sold by 50. IAH - EWR
Those are Unicron events and you have better odds with the lottery than hope for a multi-thousand dollar VDB.

And as mentioned successful scheduling for a planned VDB is a risky strategy at best and given the award ticket cancellation fees (for a non-elite) more likely a money loser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.