Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Signs you'll have a good service experience with UA

Signs you'll have a good service experience with UA

Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsl42
FA wearing a hat
Just the opposite here. Never had good luck with any of The Hat People.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:20 am

When the PA announcements are made with a clear speaking voice at normal pace and good articulation so as to be intelligible, rather than in an annoyed reading voice and as quickly as possible as if to make a new speed record.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Offer of a PDB refill when boarding is taking unusually long or there's a ground delay
100% Green and Acastus like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
when Oscar passes you an umbrella
a330300 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
When you booked the flight on LH or BR........

On a more serious note, I like when they take food and drink orders prior to take off, it generally helps the meal go faster
east_west likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jm0933
Offer of a PDB refill when boarding is taking unusually long or there's a ground delay
Offer of a PDB refill when flight is on time.
Acastus likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
The crew says “welcome back” with a smile
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
In response to when this thread first came out, I wrote a letter to Business Travel magazine. They published it as their star letter:

Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zrs70
In response to when this thread first came out, I wrote a letter to Business Travel magazine. They published it as their star letter:
^ I love your letter, and the attitude it encourages.

Having said that I also think there's room for that attitude and the main idea of this thread to coexist.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by zrs70
OP here. By misrepresenting the topic of my post (“good service experience on UA” as “good flight”) the rabbi creates excellent fodder for a “star letter.”
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
My encounters with good FA service have been varied, but overall positive. Many FAs tend to be frazzled too easily in things such as getting the door shut, so the PDB, FC overhead bin, coat taking, etc details sometimes go ignored..

But I've gained some perspective on an FA's job by noticing that complimenting them on what they do right goes a long way... Usually their expression is like it made their day! ^ But my MOST notable experience was on one recent flight which had a semi-rocky start and operations smoothed out after takeoff, and the crew seemed tired but still put on their best faces. After the meal service was over, I went to the galley and casually said to the purser "I just wanted to let you know what a great job you guys have been doing". She grabbed my hands in hers and said "you have no idea what it means for us to hear that. We had such rough flights prior, so we really needed to hear that. Thank you." You should have seen her face, she was genuinely overwhelmed with joy just hearing that..!

Have you complimented a FA today?? It seems to be a rather thankless job where the small details (as discussed on this thread) often go unnoticed, from what I've personally been hearing
Silver Fox and wavid like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Zorak
^ I love your letter, and the attitude it encourages.

Having said that I also think there's room for that attitude and the main idea of this thread to coexist.
you are very correct. The two are not mutually exclusive. The op is 100% spot on. The topic just made me think about another perspective on this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AC E50, UA 1K 108,678 miles 2014
Originally Posted by Ditka
I agree, but they're not kneeling out of subservience, but out of an attempt to be literally at your level to come across as more relatable and warm/friendly.
Exactly👍
That’s what they do at every class of service when serving on SQ.
I think the above poster would be horrified.😉
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by grapegrower
When there is a predominantly matured aged crew on board.
I’ve only found that requirement to work for wine, cheese and 1930/40s movies.
Originally Posted by Slurve30
When the FA offers to take my coat/blazer very shortly after being seated instead of me not so sublty leaving it out on my lap during the 30-40 min for boarding.
I keep the jacket when flying LAX/SFO. When flight attendants seem disappointed that I don’t want to hang my jacket, it’s always a good sign of things to come.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:11 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Based on a sample of N=1 (a recent UA2), the purser introducing herself to every J passenger and proactively offering pajamas and a mattress pad was a good sign. However, based on another N=1 sample (a recent UA28), the purser didn't introduce herself, but I still experienced great service in the A zone of the 789 (F/As actually walked through the aisles in between the two meal services and checked on passengers, refilled drinks, and offered hot bites).

Last edited by aindfan; Feb 6, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.