Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Signs you'll have a good service experience with UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signs you'll have a good service experience with UA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
When the FA’s don’t look like life has been sucked out of them and they’re not too lazy for the pdb
Silver Fox and MrGood like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig

This. The magic words are “London based crew”.
I experienced this last month and there was a noticeable difference in crew attitude. Reminded me why I like to fly LH.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:53 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by milepig

This. The magic words are “London based crew”.
I wanted to start an alternate thread on signs you'll have a bad experience.....and my first entry would have been the opposite of this one.

In my experience, the words "London based flight crew" nearly always translate into bad or at least indifferent service. Even though I'm an Englishman, I much prefer the US-based flight crews.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
When the Gate Agent says to some kettle, "That emotional support 5 year old you dressed in a military uniform does NOT allow you to get on before Boarding Group One!!!".
ContinentalFan and brp1264 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
When the FAs are actively managing the F cabin overhead bin space.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Any one or more of the following:
  • FA (on long-haul flight) recognizes you from the inbound flight
  • The door closes and the seat next to you is unoccupied
  • The plane starts to push back and it's T-10.
  • The PDE new release movies are actually from 2018 (73x typically)
Silver Fox and FyodorSukhov like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
When calling in...anytime you get an actual US based agent who speaks English instead of "Mike" from India or the Philippines.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
- The PDB is served swiftly, they acknowledge and / or repeat your selection (rather than wandering off without saying a thing), and it's brought back without disdain for Economy passengers in the aisle.
- The FA's are organized, without showing signs of major stress, and you depart ahead of schedule
- The FA's have made an attempt at a great, professional appearance (and not a 1980's John Hughes film character).
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:05 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
  • When the FA and/or purser not only comes to greet you in your seat and recognize your status but actually introduce themselves (even in Y)
  • When they keep you updated about the flight schedule through the flights (e.g. "We know some passengers will be connecting...")
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
When they announce that your TPAC flight is crewed by Tokyo and Hong Kong based flight attendants.

Same for LHR flights when the welcome announcement is in an English accent.
edit - MBS just beat me to it.
This! They alway seem to enjoy their job more which makes the whole flight a better experience!

I was sad to see UA discontinue many of the 5th freedom flights out of NRT and HKG because of this. Does anyone know what happened/will happen to those HKG/NRT based crews with the reduced flights? I hope at least some of them still got to keep their NRT/HKG flights.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
We are not 1K, just a couple who are Gold and Silver but when I called the Premier line last week the nice lady actually listened to what I was asking about, double checked with her supervisor and got everything done that I wanted done. Bought up to J from E on a LHR to EWR flight with no change fee, canceled our MUA for that segment and got use full refunds on the co-pay, the Queen's taxes on the upgrade and the miles and it all posted back within a few days. I am still in shock....
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
When the FA offers to take my coat/blazer very shortly after being seated instead of me not so sublty leaving it out on my lap during the 30-40 min for boarding.
brp1264, Kannai and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:32 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'd just settled into my seat and heard over my shoulder "is that a FlyerTalk tag?" Turned around and recognized @fezzington from the FFG IAD mini DO last summer
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I can't beat that, but I did board to pairs of napkins set out on the center console in anticipation of PDB, plus wrapped earbuds and blankets on every seat. Sure enough, it was a good crew.
CruiserCLE likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I can't beat that, but I did board to pairs of napkins set out on the center console in anticipation of PDB, plus wrapped earbuds and blankets on every seat. Sure enough, it was a good crew.
+1 - I encountered the same thing twice in 2019. As you said, both flights were fantastic/way above average from a service perspective.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
A welcome as you board the aircraft.

Coats hung up without asking.

Smiles.

Interaction rather than robotic service.

Please and thank you.

Pleasant, normal speaking tone PA announcements.

Gently closing overheads rather than slamming them shut.

Classic pmUA details (and these could have come from the Pan Am flight attendants that came to UA with the Pacific Division purchase):

When the FA would artfully wrap the soap dispenser in the 1st class lav in a white cloth napkin.

When the napkin under your drink/ramekin/sundae dish was folded into a triangle.

Small details that are hints of FAs who love their jobs and you are likely in for a good flight.

Silver Fox and FyodorSukhov like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.