Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALsnipe
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.

2) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
pmUA 777-200ERs
pmCO 777-200ERs
pmUA 777-300ERs
pmUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
pmUA 767-300ERs
pmCO 767-400ERs
pmUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)
pmCO 757-200 (16 p.s.) -- To be retrofitted with cabin refresh per Oct 2019 announcement

[pmUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor pre-2019/2020 refresh pmCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or pmCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
UA 1105 IAH > ORD 772 12/17/21

Asked FA to ask up front if Ch9 would be on. He had no clue what I was talking about, but I said, just ask up front, they’ll know. He asked where I was sitting then went off to ask. He returned and said this aircraft doesn’t have it. Then the capt came around the corner and asked how I knew about Ch9 and said sorry this AC does not have it, that they are waiting for the other 772’s to start flying again, and those have it. I hadn’t looked but then just thought this must have been a PmCO bird. Anyways as I got settled in, I noticed on the entertainment system, it indeed did have From the Flight Deck, but was not on. So either they didn’t realize it had it, or it’s been added to the new system as this plane had the Polaris First.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nnn
This used to be one of the best things about flying UA. :sigh:
Indeed. Another casualty of the merger and our litigious society, I suppose.
cruisr, nnn, UAL250 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
12/3 UA 1991 EWR-SFO 767-300: Not on

That made me 0/3 this year.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by halls120
Indeed. Another casualty of the merger and our litigious society, I suppose.
I can't even remember the last time I had channel 9. I think it was an IAD-NRT flight like four years ago. Sad.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Thumbs up Ua22 dub - ewr

On Flight #22 on 6 Feb 2022, a 767-400ER from Dublin to Newark:

The captain came through the Polaris cabin to greet each passenger. I asked her if she would turn on Channel 9. She replied that she did not think the aircraft was equipped with it. I politely asked her to check. About 15 minutes later, she came to tell me that she had turned it on, but that we would obviously be going oceanic very quickly. I thanked her.

Because of very high head winds, our routing took us well south of Ireland before turning to the west. Channel 9 was on for about 50 minutes. What a joy! This was my first flight with Channel 9 in years. Unfortunately, she did not turn it on for the landing in the USA.

I'll take it! Thanks, captain!
SPN Lifer and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Anyone know if this system is activated on the MAX 8s? I know they have the feature on the IFE system, but is it actually set up? Do 737 pilots even know what this is considering they're for the most part sCO.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by itripreport
Anyone know if this system is activated on the MAX 8s? I know they have the feature on the IFE system, but is it actually set up? Do 737 pilots even know what this is considering they're for the most part sCO.
The system is there but it is currently not approved for use due to an issue that can lead to all cockpit communication being sent over the system instead of just the radio.
ExplorerWannabe and nexus7556 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The system is there but it is currently not approved for use due to an issue that can lead to all cockpit communication being sent over the system instead of just the radio.
Sounds like somewhere somehow that Ch9 may eventually return with the new IFE?? Anyone have insight?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA310 08-Apr-22 EWR-SFO 777-300ER ON without asking!! ^
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
April 7, UA14 EWR to LHR. On.

And fascinating to listen during our tarmac delay and complete ground stop.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold
6/1 UA 988 FRA-IAD 777-300ER - ON! (after asking)
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
7/20 UA 1234 SFO-EWR 773 - on after asking

Asked the Purser after taking my breakfast order to ask the captain to turn it on. She came back saying “not sure this aircraft has it but the captain will try”. Worked great - haven’t listened during taxi in so long.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:57 pm

7/26 UA 1257 EWR-SFO 773 - on after asking

Flight boarded late and I'm getting settled into 1A. Purser and Captain are right at 1L and I ask if they can turn on channel 9. Both immediately knew what I was talking about and the Captain immediately agreed. It's on at the gate as I type this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:48 pm

8/3 UA 1509 SFO-HNL 772 - on before asking but forgot to check first and asked anyways when I went up to talk to the pilots. "Oh it's already on, you're all good!"

8/7 UA 724 HNL-SFO 772 - on after asking! A teenager was already in the cockpit with the pilots taking photos so I met with them shortly after. "We've got another one!" the Purser yelled over so I was a little worried they didn't want to chat. Exchange was quick and easy - I asked if they could turn on Channel 9 and the pilot smiled at me and happily flipped the switch! Can't get easier than that!

I also told the teenager who was visiting the cockpit before me and her family about Channel 9 and they were all super excited. She and her family were visiting Hawaii from Switzerland and were the happiest group of 4 people I've ever seen sit 4 across in the 772 HD. They even asked me if I was a pilot had me take their picture lol. Always fun when I get to tell new people about Channel 9.

Last edited by JALsnipe; Aug 9, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:45 pm

UA1175 SFO to HNL on October 22, 2022 on a 77W, N2748U, had Channel 9 From The Flight Deck on gate to gate. It was already switched on and didn't even need to ask the crew! Made my day.

A week later on October 29, I'm flying UA396 HNL to SFO on the same exact aircraft, N2748U. Channel 9 was not switched on. I asked one of the pursers and they asked the pilot, but the pilot ultimately decided to not turn it on stating that there isn't much communication to listen to over the Pacific. The purser also had an excuse saying it hasn't been available for a few years after a "bad experience" whatever that means.

On another 77W flight I had earlier in the year the purser did ask the pilot to turn it on which he confirmed it was turned on, but I never heard any audio the entire flight.
Say Vandelay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.