Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

are overhead bin sizes harmonized / consistent across mainline aircraft?

Old Apr 22, 18, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something

I know UA has been changing around overhead bins for quite a while as well as adding tons of new aircraft into the mix... is there any chance that as of Q2-2018 the bins on all the mainline aircraft are consistent? Or is it still hit-and-miss? I picked up a travelpro bag that I'd consider a "large" rollaboard, but it fits into at least the new A319 bins and the 739 bins ... I'm just trying to find out whether I can reliably expect this to fit on the rest of the mainline fleet or if there are still AC types I might be stuck gate-checking on...
Old Apr 22, 18, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They are not all the same. If nothing else, Airbus and Boeing bins are different. But on the 737 fleet some are the Boeing Sky Interior and some are not.

All that said, are the dimensions within the published allowance? That's what really matters.
Old Apr 22, 18, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They are not the same.

But, it is irrelevant.

The smallest OH's on mainline aircraft are capable of accepting the largest bag permitted by UA's rules. It is the dimensions (and thus the sizers) which matter. Whether the bag fits in the OH because you happen to board early enough to find space is irrelevant.

Don't forget when purchasing, to look at the dimensions including wheels, handles, and anything else that sticks out.
Old Apr 22, 18, 11:37 am

There is a discussion and list of bags that do and do not fit here:
Carry-on Items That Meets United's Sizer Box? Enforcement?
It may not be comprehensive, but it does list several TravelPro bags, so you can check for yours. As others note, you can just measure the dimensions to compare to the UA specification.

By visual estimation, I think the 757 bins, which you do not say you've tried, are the most size-restrictive, but it is really not that different. If it fits in the new 319 & 739 bins it will probably fit in all mainline aircraft bins.
Old Apr 22, 18, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
They are not the same.

But, it is irrelevant.

The smallest OH's on mainline aircraft are capable of accepting the largest bag permitted by UA's rules. It is the dimensions (and thus the sizers) which matter. Whether the bag fits in the OH because you happen to board early enough to find space is irrelevant.
Given the lack of sizer enforcement, it's quite relevant.
Old Apr 22, 18, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
They are not all the same. If nothing else, Airbus and Boeing bins are different. But on the 737 fleet some are the Boeing Sky Interior and some are not.

All that said, are the dimensions within the published allowance? That's what really matters.
Not only that, but different bins on the same aircraft are different sizes - the most extreme example that comes to my mind is frequently the bins over Row 1 will not fit a standard rollaboard lengthwise.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 22, 18, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
And also today's sizers do not represent the size of the overhead bin. The larger sizer's dimensions, 9"x14"x22", are an exact representation of United's maximum size rule, 9"x14"x22." If OP's bag exceeds those dimensions there's always a chance of being required to check it (but not likely as a 1K, unless in BE).

Courtesy: united.com
Old Apr 22, 18, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
They are pretty inconsistent unfortunately. Here's how I've experienced them. Note, I haven't flown on every aircraft type

Airbus 319/320: Consistent size, the bins at the very very front of F may be a bit shorter due to the curvature of the front of the plane
738 and 739: There are multiple bin sizes. Some aircraft have the new sky pivot bins, others have the large sky pivot bins, but most have the old style bins and the old style bins are inconsistent. Some have a piece at the bottom of the door that reduces the depth of the bin, others don't. The bins at the front of F are a little shorter due to the curvature of the plane
753: All aircraft are consistent. The bins at the front of F are a little shorter due to the curvature of the plane
763: All 2 class bins have the same pivot bins. The old 3 class bins are a challenge. First and Business have the same pivot bins as the 2 class birds. Y has the original bins from when the birds were designed in the 80s
777s (200s and 300s): All have consistent pivot bins
787s: All have consistent sky interior pivot bins
phltraveler likes this.
Old Apr 22, 18, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by onthesam View Post
And also today's sizers do not represent the size of the overhead bin. The larger sizer's dimensions, 9"x14"x22", are an exact representation of United's maximum size rule, 9"x14"x22."
My recollection was that the sizers were an inch generous. Did that change?
Old Apr 22, 18, 6:46 pm

I too have a “large” 22” Travel pro Flightcrew model. Half the time it fits correctly, half the time I have to turn it sideways.

I am pretty big, so it never seems big when I am boarding, and have never been asked to check it.

still, I hate to be “that guy”.
Old Apr 22, 18, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by pretzlaff View Post
I too have a “large” 22” Travel pro Flightcrew model. Half the time it fits correctly, half the time I have to turn it sideways.

still, I hate to be “that guy”.
I have the same bag here is my experience.
737 pivot bins: lengthwise all rows
737/757 non pivot: lengthwise only after row 3
A319/20: lengthwise after row 2
E175/CRJ7: lengthwise only in first...sideways in Y.
767: only fit on ouboard bins....no middle bins
787 and 777 lenghthwise ouboard bins...sideways in middle bins.

I avoid being "that guy" by trying to sit in row 3 or behind.
Old Apr 22, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
LJ, I can't answer your question, but I have to thank you for teaching me the correct spelling/pronunciation of "rollaboard." Believe it or not, all these years I thought it was "roller-board" (which didn't make much sense to me) but it must have just been the accents around me saying it that way.
You're not only a brilliant camera flyer but also useful in other ways! Haha, imagine my surprise when I saw your post show up on trending topics on flyertalk! You've been here since 2003?! That's very impressive. xo
onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 22, 18, 10:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I cannot remember the plane type or the city, but I was on a domestic flight earlier this year where the FA said the plane had the "new" overhead bins.

The suitcases still went in lengthwise but on their side rather than on their back. It significantly increased the number of suitcases per bin.

I've not seen those bins on any flight since.
Old Apr 22, 18, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant View Post
I cannot remember the plane type or the city, but I was on a domestic flight earlier this year where the FA said the plane had the "new" overhead bins.

The suitcases still went in lengthwise but on their side rather than on their back. It significantly increased the number of suitcases per bin.

I've not seen those bins on any flight since.
That sounds like the 737 space bins. They're available on a few 737-900ERs with the Sky Interior -- looks like about 6 of 148 current frames, according to the fleet website -- and I believe they will be standard equipment on United's 737 MAX birds.
Old Apr 22, 18, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, the brand new 739s have them. They're pretty cool and I hope they might solve overhead bin angst one and for all, but time will tell.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: