Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

any reason to not book TPAC P-fare on 016 ticket stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat

The past few years, I've booked my TPAC premium cabin trips mostly on BR/CX/NH/JL. I suppose someone in Chicago decided to retain me as a customer and offered me bonus miles for spend on UA.

Hence, I'm contemplating booking TPAC P-fare on 016 ticket stock with outbound on UA and inbound on NH. Other than the risk of UA booking me into Y during IRROPs, does anyone see a compelling reason to not jump on a discounted price? With the customer service I've come to expect from NH, I have a difficult time seeing NH re-booking me into Y even with a P-fare.

This would be my first flight in the new Polaris seats (flight is actually on 777-300ER), so I do feel curious to try it out. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Totoro
Other than the risk of UA booking me into Y during IRROPs
Not sure why you think that would be a risk. A TPAC P fare is a business class fare.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you seeking UA status? Do you need PQDs?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure why you think that would be a risk. A TPAC P fare is a business class fare.
Unfortunately, the search function doesn't accept "P fare" as a search term, but I recall reading other flyers' experiences with UA treating P fares as an economy fare with an upgrade. I am certainly open to the possibility that I recall incorrectly.

I would definitely feel happier if P fares are true business fares that allow re-accommodation in business if it were necessary to move to another carrier.

I no longer actively seek PQM/PQD but rather am working on the last stretch to million miler status. I've made little progress the past few years as the competition entices me with better seats and service. In this particular instance, I had the option to book UA or NH for the same price, and I chose NH for the better experience despite losing out on BIS million miler miles.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
The search function certainly does work with P. Just make sure to select business class cabin.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, the search function doesn't accept "P fare" as a search term, but I recall reading other flyers' experiences with UA treating P fares as an economy fare with an upgrade. I am certainly open to the possibility that I recall incorrectly.
Increasingly rarely, that can be an issue (for any fare class, not just P) with short-haul first/business class tickets -- agents are getting much better at treating them correctly, but there's still an occasional mixup. On longhaul flights, it's never been an issue, as they're all true business class fares.

The only reason that you would be re-accommodated in Y during IRROPS is if J is full and you elect not to wait for another flight with available J seats.

Originally Posted by ryman554
The search function certainly does work with P. Just make sure to select business class cabin.
Pretty sure OP meant the FlyerTalk search function. It, too, works for "P fare", but the query has to be in quotation marks. If you search for P fare, without the quotation marks, it'll omit the P because it's "too short."

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 19, 2018 at 9:35 pm Reason: Reply to new message
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It should be ok purchasing P on 016 stocks.
One caution is where you are buying the P fare ticket? I purchased P fare transpacific ticket from a travel agent a couple of years ago (016 stock) and it was treated by UA as “bulk”. I did not earn PQD and RDM bonus. RDM was based on BIS. I was really upset for not knowing the difference and was surprised to learn certain P fare is considered bulk fare. IIRC, the code in my bulk fare receipt showed “P2”. My other P fare showed “P1”. Not sure these codes meant anything.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It should be ok purchasing P on 016 stocks.
One caution is where you are buying the P fare ticket? I purchased P fare transpacific ticket from a travel agent a couple of years ago (016 stock) and it was treated by UA as “bulk”. I did not earn PQD and RDM bonus. RDM was based on BIS. I was really upset for not knowing the difference and was surprised to learn certain P fare is considered bulk fare. IIRC, the code in my bulk fare receipt showed “P2”. My other P fare showed “P1”. Not sure these codes meant anything.
I will purchase directly off united.com, so I don't have to worry about the bulk fare issue. After I reach million miler, these concerns will all fade away so that I can fly based on schedule and price!

Thanks to all for the reassurance. Definitely very nice to see several familiar FTers replying!

Yes, I referred to the FT search function. I did forget to put quotation marks around "P fare," so the search engine rejected my query.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, I referred to the FT search function. I did forget to put quotation marks around "P fare," so the search engine rejected my query.
google is much more user friendly (and effective) than the FT search engine.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:06 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
google is much more user friendly (and effective) than the FT search engine.
To drill down a little further, /advanced_search where you can select FT.com as the only domain to search.

Works like a charm for me. FT search, not so much.

Didn't see it in this thread, but FT search function has on occasion offered Google search right from the toolbar.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by EmailKid
To drill down a little further, /advanced_search where you can select FT.com as the only domain to search.
You can also just add site:flyertalk.com to the search query to avoid the extra click.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
You can also just add site:flyertalk.com to the search query to avoid the extra click.
I just type 'flyertalk' at the beginning or end of the query term, and that usually is good enough.
BThumme and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.