Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by airzim
The DBV flight is connecting to the exploding Med cruise market. Also why BCN and VCE can sustain the massive increase in summer demand. I would also surmise the traditional IST/Turkey travel is shifting further West toward places like DBV/SPU to avoid Turkey.
As others have noted, DBV is a stop, not an initiation point for cruses. That said the demand for holidays on the Dalmatian coast is huge. It is the new hot thing. Especially on the east coast. Not sure about what fares they can charge vs. connecting, but they can fill a plane.

Originally Posted by drewsnav
Not a rumor, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for SFO-FCO, at least seasonally.
Norwegian started that route OAK-FCO, which in any event will be more of a leisure flight. I recall several years ago there was SFO-Milan service, and if UA was going to do anything, that would be more likely as there is a lot more business travel.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DA201
AA & DL have released their summer 2019 European schedules, when does UA release theirs?
IIRC, last year's announcement of new EU destination was on/around 12 September.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
I recall several years ago there was SFO-Milan service
I flew that many years ago. There was also SFO-AMS for a while.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA wouldn't launch ZAG flights to connect with the OU hub... that operation is almost entirely redundant to what's already offered from JV hubs (FRA/MUC/ZRH/VIE) and UA wouldn't be able to share revenue. There would be the advantage of some feed, but not enough to justify starting service. ZAG also attracts a dramatically different clientele from SPU/DBV.

DBV has experienced strong yoy growth for almost a decade and coastal Croatia in general has become a popular destination for young travelers with disposable income. SPU has grown even more explosively but is facility-constrained. Its 8300' runway is tricky for summertime westbound NA ETOPS flights on a 3800nm+ sector. Dubrovnik isn't quite as popular a tourist destination as Split for American travelers, but has a 10,000' runway and captures some of the same regional market.

It falls in the same bucket as VCE, ATH, PRG, BUD, etc. Major inbound vacation markets for the US point of sale.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
With AA/HA ending ORD-PEK/PVG and HNL-PEK, there will now be some open slots for US carriers to fly USA-PEK/PVG. Will UA use this as an opportunity to start more PVG/PEK routes? PEK-LAX/IAH/DEN and PVG-IAD/IAH/DEN are the only true "holes" (UA already has the best China network of any US carrier). DEN has been vying for a China flight, so I could see them attempting PEK-DEN and capitalizing on the incentives being offered. Wouldn't be surprised with IAH-PVG either because CA already flies IAH-PEK.
Flying to China often, I would be very happy to see UA try to pick-up some of the AA slots, but AA has also stated that they intend to request the government allow them to keep these slots in dormancy. The HA move is not really a real loss for UA/*A flyers since CA still flies HNL-PEK.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
As others have noted, DBV is a stop, not an initiation point for cruses. That said the demand for holidays on the Dalmatian coast is huge. It is the new hot thing. Especially on the east coast. Not sure about what fares they can charge vs. connecting, but they can fill a plane.
Originally Posted by Mike2K
As someone who works in the cruise industry, I don’t fully understand the idea that AA is targeting cruise passengers on the new route. Dubrovnik isn’t a departure port for the major cruise lines, only a day long port of call. Looking at the port schedule, I can only see one small European marketed ship sailing occasionally. I can’t imagine cruise pax are the main target for this route.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/19/w...ype=collection

Two things:

1) I'm confident next summer will be very different from this year (NY Times article attached) The City has confirmed that they need to limit the amount of day trippers and hence the amount of 1 day drop off crusies flooding of 1000 passengers in the narrow streets. I would suspect more origin and destination traffic with hotel stays on either end

2) I think more smaller sailing just within the Dalmatian Coast for a week might be popular. Similar to the Bodrum gullet sailing in Turkey. As I stated, Turkey tourism is going to dry up, and Croatia is a natural spillover.

3) Of course increase in GOT and Star Wars tours.

I spent the summer in Croatia and spent 2 days in DBV during the World Cup. Wonderful city, but 2 days maximum. It's not very big, expensive compared with the rest of Croatia, and super crowded. But the islands between Split and Dubrovnik are superb.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I would really like to see EWR-ARN up-gauged to a widebody during the summer and Christmas seasons.
EWR-ARN doesn’t even fly during the winter - it’s only a seasonal route as of now.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Per the UA Instagram, sounds like there’ll be at least one new route announced tomorrow!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I just saw that on Twitter. UA responded 'good guess!' to "Guayaquil, Ecuador??".

I'd like to see ORD-MAD or EWR-GIG/ORD-GIG.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
If the video is any indication it looks like they’ll be introducing new routes from SFO, DEN, ORD, and EWR.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by freeagent
If the video is any indication it looks like they’ll be introducing new routes from SFO, DEN, ORD, and EWR.
Hopefully the SFO addition is something 5,000+ miles in stage length...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
It’d be nice if they did anagrams again, but those weren’t too difficult to figure out

ETA: In the comments, UA suggests that the video is indicative of hints - so someone who has the time to freeze-frame it can identify each location
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It’d be nice if they did anagrams again, but those weren’t too difficult to figure out

ETA: In the comments, UA suggests that the video is indicative of hints - so someone who has the time to freeze-frame it can identify each location
They have confirmed on Twitter that the routes are originating in EWR, ORD, SFO and DEN
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

One or two of these candidate cities with stage length well over 5000 miles: BKK, SGN, MNL, CAN, SZX, KUL, CGK, DEL, BOM and BNE.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Here's post:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.