Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by UAL250
Agree. I don't see this American route working out. It's a pretty place but AA will have to market this up to make it work, and that likely still won't be enough IMO. I don't see this lasting more than one summer.
Well, UA started EWR-OPO, which I didn’t think was all that smart of a seasonal choice...but at least as of now, there haven’t been many reports of it being a slam-dunk upgrade or of loads being light. It’s possible, though, they being able to use a 757 helps substantially, whereas getting to DBV requires at least a 767/A330 to get there.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Houston
My source isn’t very knowledgeable but I am hearing IAH-PVG and IAH-ZRH will be started. I suppose it makes sense because the aircraft could do a Pacific-Atlantic pattern.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Not sure why ZRH makes sense.
Connections to UAs extensive network in Latin America out of IAH might be a reason.

Meanwhile, the new SFO-ZRH does well and is expected to come back next year.

Originally Posted by marcusf
I recently had a conversation with a long time UA employee who indicated that management is intending to return to BKK maybe in the next year. There is a lot of demand from measure travelers and very little direct service from mainland USA.
ME carriers are taking a huge market share in BKK, siphoning traffic from East Coast and central US.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Good point about the cruise connections. I didn't think about that either.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by steveo
It would be awesome if UA responded with ORD-DBV or ORD-Zag and take advantage of the star alliance hub. Zabreb has a pretty nice, remodeled airport now that I'de actually connect in.
Yes, it will responded. It will happen. You'll see. I am pretty sure about this.

AA is starting flights to DBV...would be great if EWR-DBV got added at some point in the future!
Nice! I doubt that. It will happens. I am pretty sure about this. If they ever consider it.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steveo
It would be awesome if UA responded with ORD-DBV or ORD-Zag and take advantage of the star alliance hub. Zabreb has a pretty nice, remodeled airport now that I'de actually connect in.
Have they upgraded ZAG that much since I was last there (about 4 years ago)? It was a bit of a dump then, very eastern European. DBV seemed a good bit nicer, albeit of limited pax capacity.

I'd welcome UA service to Croatia, but honestly, see it far down the list (behind BKK, honestly) of new destinations.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Just don't see that much demand to former Yugoslavia. Not as well known as Prague or Budapest. Kind of like flying to Bratislava ...
Maybe we run in different circles but literally 75% or my friends 25-40 years old go to Croatia each summer. In fact lots of them combine that type of trip with Prague or BP.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:19 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Maybe we run in different circles but literally 75% or my friends 25-40 years old go to Croatia each summer. In fact lots of them combine that type of trip with Prague or BP.
Apparently.

Though I have not been there since Yugoslavia broke up, it is a nice place, but I'm guessing AA service mentioned is more aimed at the cruise crowd.

On a side note, don't ever recall Budapest referred to as BP. Suppose it makes sense given Buda and Pest.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
As someone who works in the cruise industry, I don’t fully understand the idea that AA is targeting cruise passengers on the new route. Dubrovnik isn’t a departure port for the major cruise lines, only a day long port of call. Looking at the port schedule, I can only see one small European marketed ship sailing occasionally. I can’t imagine cruise pax are the main target for this route.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Mike2K
As someone who works in the cruise industry, I don’t fully understand the idea that AA is targeting cruise passengers on the new route. Dubrovnik isn’t a departure port for the major cruise lines, only a day long port of call. Looking at the port schedule, I can only see one small European marketed ship sailing occasionally. I can’t imagine cruise pax are the main target for this route.
As someone who ignores cruises in general, I was merely speculating WRT what someone posted.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Originally Posted by EmailKid
As someone who ignores cruises in general, I was merely speculating WRT what someone posted.
Apologies for my wording, wasn't directed towards you. Just adding my thoughts to this route. I've seen the cruise passenger speculation across a few boards now, and am interested in the thinking behind it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
AA is starting flights to DBV...would be great if EWR-DBV got added at some point in the future!
I think EWR-ZAG would be more likely, given its status as a (small) *A hub with OU.

So now that AA & DL have released their summer 2019 European schedules, when does UA release theirs? AA made a bigger splash than DL, but that was mostly adding destinations UA already serves with the exception of BLQ & DBV. OPO kind of came out of nowhere this past year, but it is a *A mini-hub with TAP and there isn't any LCC flying OPO-USA. With that in mind, I do think Croatia is a possibility, but I think VIE-EWR, ATH-IAD, MXP-IAD, and WAW-EWR are also strong candidates.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DA201
I think EWR-ZAG would be more likely, given its status as a (small) *A hub with OU.

So now that AA & DL have released their summer 2019 European schedules, when does UA release theirs? AA made a bigger splash than DL, but that was mostly adding destinations UA already serves with the exception of BLQ & DBV. OPO kind of came out of nowhere this past year, but it is a *A mini-hub with TAP and there isn't any LCC flying OPO-USA. With that in mind, I do think Croatia is a possibility, but I think VIE-EWR, ATH-IAD, MXP-IAD, and WAW-EWR are also strong candidates.
Have to think the IAD routes seem more likely. OS already has 2x daily NYC-VIE in the summer. Same with LO to WAW as well.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
With AA/HA ending ORD-PEK/PVG and HNL-PEK, there will now be some open slots for US carriers to fly USA-PEK/PVG. Will UA use this as an opportunity to start more PVG/PEK routes? PEK-LAX/IAH/DEN and PVG-IAD/IAH/DEN are the only true "holes" (UA already has the best China network of any US carrier). DEN has been vying for a China flight, so I could see them attempting PEK-DEN and capitalizing on the incentives being offered. Wouldn't be surprised with IAH-PVG either because CA already flies IAH-PEK.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:17 am

Location: I have resided many places, but only ever lived in San Francisco.
Programs: UA, AA
Not a rumor, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for SFO-FCO, at least seasonally.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Mike2K
Dubrovnik isn’t a departure port for the major cruise lines, only a day long port of call. ... I can’t imagine cruise pax are the main target for this route.
That is what I also thought was the case. AA's DBV route really doesn't make much sense unless they think there is enough demand from GoT fans.

I would really like to see EWR-ARN up-gauged to a widebody during the summer and Christmas seasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.