New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DA201
A good comparison is PR, which operates YVR-JFK with abysmal load factors because it has little name recognition.
Wow literally just learned that and a few weeks ago I was bored looking up 5ths still around.

Originally Posted by 5khours
By that theory, it would be impossible to ever start a new business or launch a new product.
Well 5th freedoms aren’t new and are a winding down aspect of aviation. But I think they meant is that if you live in Vancouver and are looking to fly to NYC you probably aren’t going to think “ah! Let me check on Philipine Airlines!”
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Wow literally just learned that and a few weeks ago I was bored looking up 5ths still around.

Well 5th freedoms aren’t new and are a winding down aspect of aviation. But I think they meant is that if you live in Vancouver and are looking to fly to NYC you probably aren’t going to think “ah! Let me check on Philipine Airlines!”
The Philippine Airlines flight to JFK ends Oct 27 2018. I was actually looking to fly that later in the year.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by spin88
The Koreans are the ones who have invested heavily in Vietnam, less so US companies.
True. There is still quite a lot of US-based C traffic in & out of VN. But in my experience talking with fellow American passengers they typically work for US companies invested in Malaysia, Vietnam, China, & such. Typically a UA flier my fly out to SIN & return from HKG, PVG or TPE, visiting many facilities on the trip.

I do wish they'd re-enter the market though. It'd make my last couple of years doing this a bit more convenient. I really dislike the NRT-SGN NH flight so I fly to SIN & get a connection on SQ.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
The Philippine Airlines flight to JFK ends Oct 27 2018. I was actually looking to fly that later in the year.
Correct.

I don't know what PR's load factors on YVR-JFK were, but I do know that it was never heavily marketed as a standalone flight. For one thing, it was ineligible for preclearance at YVR. Also, the timing is bad westbound -- a midnight departure at NYC with a 3 AM arrival at YVR. Furthermore, PR's target markets were the Filipino community in NYC and YVR (and, via connections, the rest of Canada -- there are plenty of Canadian residents with Filipino passports who would not be able to transit the US without getting a visa). I doubt they had a ton of interest in selling seats from YVR to JFK and vv unless they were sure they couldn't sell the seat to a through passenger instead.

However, I don't think that example really applies to TG or VN. I don't think either of those airlines would be particularly successful selling JFK-YVR flights either. I just don't think it's a huge market -- for example, tomorrow there are three flights. The PR flight, the CX flight, and an AC flight to EWR. Even in the summer, it only goes to 5 flights -- UA adds an EWR flight and DL adds a JFK flight, both on narrowbodies.

The better question is whether or not there's a market for a new Asian carrier to enter the market for the US west coast to Asia. Specifically looking at fifth freedom flights, I don't know why you would fly TG or VN between, say, SFO-NRT or LAX-ICN or whatever. There are already plenty of options there, and while TG is nice (I haven't flown VN), it's not really that much nicer than NH, SQ, CX, OZ, BR, etc.

If TG or VN enters the US market, I think it will specifically be for flights from BKK or SGN/HAN to the US west coast, with the intent of being the only nonstop in the market. Could UA beat them to the punch? Absolutely, but there's an asymmetry there. Access to the US market seems to be treated as a point of pride for a foreign carrier -- like being able to sell seats into LHR as opposed to LGW, for example. Either TG or VN might be willing to operate the route as a loss due to the prestige involved. I don't think access to BKK or SGN is treated the same way for a US carrier, at least for their domestic customers. I don't see UA running the BKK operation at a loss in order to be able to market themselves as "the only US carrier with nonstop flights to Bangkok."
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
By that theory, it would be impossible to ever start a new business or launch a new product.
There's a reason the vast majority of new businesses fail.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If TG or VN enters the US market, I think it will specifically be for flights from BKK or SGN/HAN to the US west coast, with the intent of being the only nonstop in the market. Could UA beat them to the punch? Absolutely, but there's an asymmetry there. Access to the US market seems to be treated as a point of pride for a foreign carrier -- like being able to sell seats into LHR as opposed to LGW, for example. Either TG or VN might be willing to operate the route as a loss due to the prestige involved. I don't think access to BKK or SGN is treated the same way for a US carrier, at least for their domestic customers. I don't see UA running the BKK operation at a loss in order to be able to market themselves as "the only US carrier with nonstop flights to Bangkok."
I agree. I don't think TG or VN are going to start fifth freedom flights to the US anytime soon, but rather they will start nonstops sometime in the future. UA wouldn't fly SFO-BKK to be the only carrier with nonstop to BKK, they would do it to make money. The question is whether or not they can make money on the route. I personally do think it has money making potential, but I could be wrong.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan

I think that this is an important issue, and counsels against UA adding a BKK or SGN flight. Both local carriers want/need USA access, and a p/l calculation short/mid-term is not the key consideration. No doubt both - which have lower cost structures to begin with - and are both getting A359s, are not going to be seeking the 15+% margins that the analysts are demanding of UA for new routes. I would actually think that KUL would be a less risky bet re competition, it is not like MH is going to be a hot-shot carrier anytime soon, if ever.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I would be very happy with a TG non-stop to SFO or LAX . . . . .
as long as I could buy at a competitive price on 016 plating and earn PQD.

But I'd really love to see UA fly BKK-SFO - as long as TG would honor my status and give me access to the Royal Orchid lounge when I'm flying with a UA boarding pass.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tvhead
I would be very happy with a TG non-stop to SFO or LAX . . . . .
as long as I could buy at a competitive price on 016 plating and earn PQD.

But I'd really love to see UA fly BKK-SFO - as long as TG would honor my status and give me access to the Royal Orchid lounge when I'm flying with a UA boarding pass.
I am doubtful getting competitive pricing on 016 ticket for a TG non stop ex-USA is going to happen.

United flights ex BKK would certainly get access to any *A lounge for *G or greater, or business class....just like any other *A carrier. Not that the Royal Orchid lounge is all that great. No access to the Royal Spa, BTW. Spa is reserved for TG Metal only.

I would bet that United's ground costs would be lower than they had before, as they would just contract out all the necessary services at BKK, instead of re-opening a ground station there...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am doubtful getting competitive pricing on 016 ticket for a TG non stop ex-USA is going to happen.
I would be shocked if it did.

Given that PQD are here to stay, I really hope UA will follow DL and AA's lead and allow PQD on non-016 tickets.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by halls120

The 747 was used in many instances for charters. I wonder if United is going to set aside a frame or two for DOD needs?
From a national security standpoint I sure hope DOD doesn't subject our troops to Y in a 77W - they'll hardly be in fighting shape upon landing.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by drewguy
From a national security standpoint I sure hope DOD doesn't subject our troops to Y in a 77W - they'll hardly be in fighting shape upon landing.
will be way better than the 744 that was being used.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
You'd probably not see competitive pricing on TG stock, either. TG's fares tend to be irrational/uncompetitive. It's one of the reasons they consistently bleed cash.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS
Selfishly, as someone who flies DEN-SGN a few times a year (usually connecting through NRT onto the ANA 767 torture devices -- bad in J, horrific in Y) I would be thrilled to see a better option especially in J. LAX/SFO-SGN would mak eme very, very happy.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

You'd probably not see competitive pricing on TG stock, either. TG's fares tend to be irrational/uncompetitive. It's one of the reasons they consistently bleed cash.
And yet, every time I fly with them, the planes are full. OK, in coach, with very few seats open.

Methinks that they fill their planes with Chinese tourists flying on bulk rates, so ya, they are asking for money from Thai government every year.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
OO dba UAX is starting IAD-PBG on a CRJ2 (announced today)...probably not the route or plane type people are thinking about

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.