Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
With so many flights targeting the east coast, I’d love to see someone try Perth. I don’t think a B787 would work. It would have to be the new A350 or a long range version of the B772.
Perth is a tiny market.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by 5khours
I think you need to count the seats. I can't remember the numbers, but l think last year was the only exception with something like a 1% increase in
Asian capacity (which they somehow turned into an 5% decrease in traffic.) It's not just the number of routes but there has been significant downguaging and big cuts in frequencies on all the Japan routes.
Outside of GUM there have been no Japan frequency cuts. The only downgauge are SFO-KIX from 772 to 788 and SFO-HND from 772 to 789. (I think those changes happened 2 years ago). And from a seating capacity that's offset with EWR-NRT going from 772 to 77W.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by EWR764

Capacity in the industry is measured by ASM, which obviously is impacted on an outsize basis by longhauls with large airplanes. UA has added a number of these, but they are capacity increases nonetheless.

What are the Japan frequency cuts? GUM is really its own entity, affected by exogenous factors, and the intra-Asia flying has mostly been replaced by nonstops.
Not to put too fine an point on it but while ASMs have been going up by 1 or 2% a year stage length has been going up probably double that so you're getting a 1 or 2% annual decrease in seats. Not trying to argue about how to measure capacity but any way you cut it UA is getting killed in Asia. Flattish (for the sake or argument) capacity in a rapidly growing market, declining traffic, declining revenue. IMHO, they can only succeed in an opportunistic manner (early delivery of a lot of long range aircraft, certification delays for TG, VN, GA, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see non-stops to SGN and BKK, I just think it will be a challenge for UA to stay competitive in these markets.

As for Japan, yes GUM is a separate deal.... in fact I think UA just announced a bunch of new flights from JPN to GUM. I was really referring to elimination/frequency reduction from ORD, JFK, SEA, IAH etc.

Also UA used to be pretty competitive in Japan<>Asia O&D (and NW was super-competitive) in both the leisure and business markets. The provincial hicks who took over in ORD (and ATL) just threw that away. Still a great market there but it would take years to rebuild.

Last edited by 5khours; Apr 18, 2018 at 8:18 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:12 am

It's all low yield traffic. Emirates flods the market with cheap capacity. There's a reason most of their A380s used to Bangkok are the variants without a First class cabin but with over 600 seats (most of them Y). When you are selling $600 roundtrips from Europe to Bangkok via Dubai, it's a volume game. Most of the European carriers do fly to Bangkok, but several only seasonally. It's a low yield, high volume market. Cheap fares. Not something United really needs to be in.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I know common wisdom in this forum is that BKK is low yield, but virtually all the major European carriers fly to BKK nonstop, and EK has five daily nonstops (four 380s).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:16 am

United and Delta both were only in the Japan - Southeast Asia market as a remnant of long-ago route networks that were created way before the advent of airplanes that could profitably fly USA - China (passing Japan) nonstop, let alone USA - points in Southeast Asia nonstop. Those flights all bled money from day 1, and the airlines couldnt wait to get rid of them. They mostly filled them up with transfer traffic from the US, along with consolidator traffic at dirt cheap prices from Japan. In the markets that had viable fares and the right airplane for nonstop US services (China, Hong Kong, Singapore), they kept. IN the markets such as BKK with low yields and limited paid business demand, they worked with their partners to feed the traffic over Japan or other Asian hubs. NOt a dumb hick move.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Not to put too fine an point on it but while ASMs have been going up by 1 or 2% a year stage length has been going up probably double that so you're getting a 1 or 2% annual decrease in seats. Not trying to argue about how to measure capacity but any way you cut it UA is getting killed in Asia. Flattish (for the sake or argument) capacity in a rapidly growing market, declining traffic, declining revenue. IMHO, they can only succeed in an opportunistic manner (early delivery of a lot of long range aircraft, certification delays for TG, VN, GA, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see non-stops to SGN and BKK, I just think it will be a challenge for UA to stay competitive in these markets.

As for Japan, yes GUM is a separate deal.... in fact I think UA just announced a bunch of new flights from JPN to GUM. I was really referring to elimination/frequency reduction from ORD, JFK, SEA etc.

Also UA used to be pretty competitive in Japan<>Asia O&D (and NW was super-competitive) in both the leisure and business markets. The provincial hicks who took over in ORD (and ATL) just threw that away. Still a great market there but it would take years to rebuild.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:20 am

What on earth are you talking about? United flies LAX/SFO - SIN. They compete with Singapore Airlines. They fly LAX/SFO-SYD, where they compete with Qantas. They fly LAX/SFO-LHR, where they compete vigorously with BA, AA, VS. They fly SFO- CDG, where they compete with AF. So your assertion really is baseless and makes no sense.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Not going to happen. For all the complaints here, UA management isn't stupid. They stick to routes where they don't have to compete -- preferably where they're shielded from competition by the U.S. govt.

No way they're going to start routes where they have to compete with airlines (Singapore, Cathay, Thai, et al) that actually offer great service (vs. lame service from crusty union hacks). That's why they dropped service from HKG and NRT to BKK, SGN, and SIN.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jasondc
It's all low yield traffic. Emirates flods the market with cheap capacity. There's a reason most of their A380s used to Bangkok are the variants without a First class cabin but with over 600 seats (most of them Y). When you are selling $600 roundtrips from Europe to Bangkok via Dubai, it's a volume game. Most of the European carriers do fly to Bangkok, but several only seasonally. It's a low yield, high volume market. Cheap fares. Not something United really needs to be in.
Right. Because UA knows better than virtually every other major carrier in the world that can reach BKK from its hub.

These continued assertions about "low yield" lack any back-up whatsoever. So color me skeptical

And $600 Y fares tell us nothing about yields. You can buy SFO-HKG on UA right now for under $600. Does that make Hong Kong a low yield market?
goodeats21 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:39 pm Reason: overly personal comments removed
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
United and Delta both were only in the Japan - Southeast Asia market as a remnant of long-ago route networks that were created way before the advent of airplanes that could profitably fly USA - China (passing Japan) nonstop, let alone USA - points in Southeast Asia nonstop. Those flights all bled money from day 1, and the airlines couldnt wait to get rid of them. They mostly filled them up with transfer traffic from the US, along with consolidator traffic at dirt cheap prices from Japan. In the markets that had viable fares and the right airplane for nonstop US services (China, Hong Kong, Singapore), they kept. IN the markets such as BKK with low yields and limited paid business demand, they worked with their partners to feed the traffic over Japan or other Asian hubs. NOt a dumb hick move.
Beg to differ, UA and NW did a great job marketing to consolidators and travel agents, but they were also the airline of choice for a lot Japanese business people (except a few JL snobs) because they had a competitive product and did a great job of sales and marketing. And BTW - if you think BKK has limited paid business demand from Tokyo try booking a J or F ticket close in on any of 15 some daily flights. (I've seen JL sold out for two weeks straight.)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
nothing in the slides for today’s earnings call. i wouldn’t expect a route announcement in the call itself (as these have become important for the social media teams to roll out), but no mention of “new routes TBA” is disappointing.

we’ve had many rumor threads like this before; i’d still pick LAX-SGN, LAX-TLV and SFO-BLR.

SFO-BLR would be technically challenging because of the himalayas, but UA has shown a willingness to push the envelope with the 789.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:10 am

Hong kong gets a lot of paid J traffic from the US. BKK not so much.

I've worked in network planning and pricing for a few airlines that have a presence in Bangkok and have intimate knowledge of the pricing in those markets.
{T}ake a look in detail at the European carriers in the market. Most have drastically reduced their service to Bangkok over the years. Sure, they keep a presence, but most such as AF dont even fly year round. SK has left the market entirely. Emirates flies with 615 seat 380s that do not have a first class product - it's all Y transfer traffic from Europe.

United and Delta both were in the market and have experienced it as US operators. The fact is, to operate from the US to Bangkok you either have to stop in Asia, dedicating a lot of aircraft time, or have a plane such as the 787 that can do it nonstop. The same reality is NOT there for the European carriers as they can fly nonstop. Both options require high average fares and a lot of paid J traffic to make it successful. There's a reason United ditched BKK but keeps SIN, there's a reason that Delta, despite not flying SIN nonstop - keeps it. There's a reason that both, as US carriers, ditched BKK. Will it return? Who knows. But that doesnt change the fact that it's a market that, served from the US, requires a lot of aircraft time, which requires high fares to support it. TBD.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Right. Because UA knows better than virtually every other major carrier in the world that can reach BKK from its hub.

These continued assertions about "low yield" lack any back-up whatsoever. So color me skeptical

And $600 Y fares tell us nothing about yields. You can buy SFO-HKG on UA right now for under $600. Does that make Hong Kong a low yield market?
laxmillenial likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:39 pm Reason: overly personal comments deleted
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by katan
How about SFO-MNL? I am always amazed at the number of people that I see on my US->NRT flights that continue on to MNL on ANA.
I really miss the late-night HND-SFO as then I could take the ~2pm MNL-HND instead of the 9am MNL-NRT. But, I have noticed that there is a fairly decent codesharing agreement between PR and NH, as .bomb would routinely kick out LAX-NRT-MNL (UA/PR), LAX-NRT-CEB (UA/PR) and even LAX-NRT-MNL-CEB (UA/PR/PR). Then again, .bomb would also kick out LAX-SFO-HKG-CEB (UA/UA/PR), LAX-SIN-CEB (UA/UA/SQ), LAX-SFO-SIN-CEB (UA/SQ/MI), as well as LAX-SFO-SIN-MNL (UA/SQ/SQ).

I prefer the HKG-CEB on CX over the NRT-MNL on NH as CX has a lie-flat C A332 on the route.

ETA: For C prices, SQ is nearly on par with UA...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Very true that Emirates runs a lot of capacity on DXB-BKK. Last January, I had an econ ticket that was only $300 USD. At check-in, they offered an upgrade to biz for only $300, being oversold in econ. I took the upgrade. Biz was only half full. And it was the configuration mentioned here: small biz cabin and the rest was all Y.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Hong kong gets a lot of paid J traffic from the US. BKK not so much.

And I'm not some anonymous dude, I've worked in network planning and pricing for a few airlines that have a presence in Bangkok and have intimate knowledge of the pricing in those markets.
{T}ake a look in detail at the European carriers in the market. Most have drastically reduced their service to Bangkok over the years. Sure, they keep a presence, but most such as AF dont even fly year round. SK has left the market entirely. Emirates flies with 615 seat 380s that do not have a first class product - it's all Y transfer traffic from Europe.

United and Delta both were in the market and have experienced it as US operators. The fact is, to operate from the US to Bangkok you either have to stop in Asia, dedicating a lot of aircraft time, or have a plane such as the 787 that can do it nonstop. The same reality is NOT there for the European carriers as they can fly nonstop. Both options require high average fares and a lot of paid J traffic to make it successful. There's a reason United ditched BKK but keeps SIN, there's a reason that Delta, despite not flying SIN nonstop - keeps it. There's a reason that both, as US carriers, ditched BKK. Will it return? Who knows. But that doesnt change the fact that it's a market that, served from the US, requires a lot of aircraft time, which requires high fares to support it. TBD.
I’m going to venture a guess that Kacee was asking for actual hard data vs. what is just people saying “trust me I know things” and the collective consciousness here that BKK = no $.

chavala, Kacee and truncated like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:47 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
United needs to get a little creative. I don’t think that even they realized how wildly successful SFO-SIN would be. And I think SFO-BOM or SFO-DEL could prove just as popular.

While there are already many ways to get to India from the Bay Area right now, they are still a slog. I know so many people in Silicon Valley who fly paid J to India several times a year for work.

Most people on corporate contracts will end up flying LH via FRA which is a pain or on UA via EWR (also a pain). Sometimes, when that flight is full, we’ll do Swiss which has a terrible 7 hour connection on the way back.

The SFO-DEL AI flight is apparently doing very well, but I haven’t met a single person from the Bay Area who has flown it. It seems to be more popular with India-based flyers visiting the Bay Area. Moreover, while the ME3 are popular with Indian flyers coming to the west coast (especially those flying Y or F), I know very few SF-based paid J travelers who would consider them because of their poor mileage earnings compared to MileagePlus. (One trip to India in J usually means 40k PQM and 40,000+ award miles for a 1K.)

Its really time that United consider a SFO to India flight. It would save a lot of time and I’m sure they could time it well to maximize sleep (similar to their Singapore flights). Also, I’d take a 787 any day over the terribly outdated 777-200 CO and 757-200 you get when flying through Newark.
If AC can sustain flights to India from both Vancouver and Toronto, UA should be able too.
mrt88 and usbusinesstraveller like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hong kong gets a lot of paid J traffic from the US.
Yes, exactly. The existence of sub-$600 Y fares says nothing about either paid J cabin demand or overall yields on a given route.

The fact is, to operate from the US to Bangkok you either have to stop in Asia, dedicating a lot of aircraft time, or have a plane such as the 787 that can do it nonstop.
And UA now has an aircraft with the range to handle SFO-BKK.

I really don't see any of the other options frequently mentioned here (SGN, KUL, MNL, or LAX-HKG) as any more likely or appealing. To the contrary, Bangkok is a growing commercial center and the biggest tourist draw in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.