Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 5khours
The only plane that can fly SFO to either BKK or SGN without weight restrictions is the A350 ULR. VN has them on order. Neither TG nor UA has them order. Betting is on TG to SEA and VN to LAX. My guess for UA would probably be SGN.
BKK and SGN are both a few hundred nm shorter than the respective SIN flights from LAX/SFO and within a range that the 789 can carry a healthy load of passengers and cargo.

The NH/UA joint venture is instructive to identify major markets which UA does not serve nonstop from the US. These include BKK, CGK, MNL and SGN. The others are HKG, TPE, SIN. Of these, BKK-SFO and SGN-LAX make the most sense, to me.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by EWR764; Apr 18, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
When UA ended NRT-BKK-NRT some years ago, it was reported that the route made a $40M+ yearly profit for UA. But it required the equivalent of a dedicated wide-body for the NRT tag, and UA determined it could make more money by deploying it elsewhere and entering into the JV with NH. This from a good friend who talked directly to the BKK station manager at the time.

At that time, UA did not have aircraft that could make US-BKK non-stop (i.e. 787-9). And now they do. As the 787-10s come on-line (that have shorter range), it will free some 787-9s for new ULH missions.

As has been noted elsewhere frequently, J pax avoid the NH NRT-BKK, because of the crappy "domestic" J seat they run on the route. After flying 15+ hours from the US on a nice lie-flat, switching to a lounger for six more is unacceptable given the fares. Those of us in the know try to take UA to HKG then connect to TG, but the J fares are usually much higher than NH from NRT and tough to justify. Plus, at some times of the year the northbound early TG to HKG does not connect to the bank of UA departures from HKG.

I would not be surprised at all if UA is at least looking at SFO-BKK. #FingersCrossed
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by EWR764
BKK and SGN are both a few hundred nm shorter than the respective SIN flights from LAX/SFO and within a range that the 789 can carry a healthy load of passenger and cargo.
And like SIN, both BKK and SGN would be weight restricted westbound in the winter on a 789.

One more data point, VN labor cost is something like 6 to 8 cents a passenger mile versus 20 to 25 for UA.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
And like SIN, both BKK and SGN would be weight restricted westbound in the winter on a 789.

One more data point, VN labor cost is something like 6 to 8 cents a passenger mile versus 20 to 25 for UA.
Could you explain VN labor cost and how it's related to UA / new routes? #newbalert
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:21 am

Technically, every long haul flight is “weight restricted” as it is limited to a particular payload after trip fuel plus reserves are calculated.

As far as actually blocking seats from sale, as a rule, I am only aware of IAH-SYD at the moment due to routing restrictions associated with UA not yet having ETOPS 330 certification.

If there is a business case for the route, the westbound winter performance of the 789 won’t be a limiting factor for the routes we are discussing.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
As has been noted elsewhere frequently, J pax avoid the NH NRT-BKK, because of the crappy "domestic" J seat they run on the route. After flying 15+ hours from the US on a nice lie-flat, switching to a lounger for six more is unacceptable given the fares.
It's only the 6:30 flight that still has the torture chairs. The 5pm and both of the HND flights are 789s with full flat now.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Could you explain VN labor cost and how it's related to UA / new routes? #newbalert
IMHO, UA has an increasingly difficult time competing on the TPAC routes and has been decreasing capacity steadily in a rapidly expanding market. I am a skeptic with regard to their long term ability to compete on the TPAC routes given their much higher costs and much lower quality product and service.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:37 am

IMHO, UA has an increasingly difficult time competing on the TPAC routes and has been decreasing capacity steadily in a rapidly expanding market. I am a skeptic with regard to their long term ability to compete on the TPAC routes given their much higher costs and much lower quality product and service.
United hasn’t been decreasing TPAC capacity.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
UA has only cancelled SFO-HGH (because they received their second PVG slot) and SFO-XIY (which was always a long shot) while opening SIN-LAX/SFO and IAH-SYD. All of the NRT-Asia routes are gone, but that’s because it’s more efficient to have ANA fly them. Not really sure where you are coming from with this...

I think ORD-TLV is possible, as it is technically an Asian route. Maybe the badly needed EWR/ORD-ICN? Of the SE Asian destinations, I would say the likelihood of each happening is BKK, SGN, and then MNL. A route to a secondary city in India would also be exciting such as EWR-BLR/MAA/CCU/HYD, but I don’t think it’s likely due to the ME3.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Would love to see any of those routes x-SFO. I wonder if SFO/LAX-GUM is in the mix with the military build-up moving forward. There will be a lot more demand there. I've also wondered if they do SFO-GUM-KUL/SGN. I think that's more of a dream than reality but one can hope.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by EWR764

United hasn’t been decreasing TPAC capacity.
I think you need to count the seats. I can't remember the numbers, but l think last year was the only exception with something like a 1% increase in
Asian capacity (which they somehow turned into an 5% decrease in traffic.) It's not just the number of routes but there has been significant downguaging and big cuts in frequencies on all the Japan routes.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
Those of us in the know try to take UA to HKG then connect to TG, but the J fares are usually much higher than NH from NRT and tough to justify. Plus, at some times of the year the northbound early TG to HKG does not connect to the bank of UA departures from HKG.
Spot on. UA never fixed the commercial issue with TG where the UA website quotes with TG as the connection are not discounted - it's like buying a R/T to HKG and a separate round trip on TG to BKK from HKG. This is also true for any other combination - it's why you're very unlikely to connect through NRT on TG's nice A380 - you'll always get that crappy NH lounger! The end to end pricing results in outrageously high fares for UA/TG combos. And yes, the HKG route is always preferred as you note - especially so for GS as we get more dollars credit on the longer UA leg than if you break at NRT.

I used to email back and forth with Brian Znotkins, UA's old VP of Network before he bolted to WestJet, mostly to lobby about putting BKK back on the schedule. Right after the announcement of SFO-SIN route he told me SFO-BKK would probably be two to three years away, but it was planned. UA suspected TG would drop its one stop service through Korea, which it later did, and hoped this and some other factors would reduce pricing pressure. Then he left, Smisek got shot and then Oscar/Kirby arrived with a more domestic focus. By then I thought any BKK plan probably went by the wayside. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe they are looking at it again. It sure would be nice.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:05 am

BLR is secondary city?

Originally Posted by DA201
A route to a secondary city in India would also be exciting such as EWR-BLR/MAA/CCU/HYD, but I don’t think it’s likely due to the ME3.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:12 am

I think you need to count the seats. I can't remember the numbers, but l think last year was the only exception with something like a 1% increase in
Asian capacity (which they somehow turned into an 5% decrease in traffic.) It's not just the number of routes but there has been significant downguaging and big cuts in frequencies on all the Japan routes.
Capacity in the industry is measured by ASM, which obviously is impacted on an outsize basis by longhauls with large airplanes. UA has added a number of these, but they are capacity increases nonetheless.

What are the Japan frequency cuts? GUM is really its own entity, affected by exogenous factors, and the intra-Asia flying has mostly been replaced by nonstops.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Would love all three. Hopefully we get at least one or two of these. SFO-BKK I think would make the most sense. SFO-KUL might be a little too close to SIN, but hasn't Malaysian Airlines pretty much collapsed for intl routes? Maybe UA thinks they can take over the US-Malaysia market nicely. SFO-SGN is interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.