Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This rumor has been floating basically since UA left nearly five years ago.

Will believe it when it's formally announced.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Agree with Kacee.

I know there are some that want to believe that BKK was higher yielding than many others suspect, but there is a reason that when UA started new ULH flights to South Asia last year, it was to SIN and not BKK, and two flights to boot. When LA to SIN didn't work out, rather then use that aircraft to do BKK, they simply kept the second SIN frequency to SFO.

And UA wasn't the only US carrier that decided BKK wasn't worth it with their own metal - DL followed UA out not too long after. UA still has JV operations via NH at NRT at least, and I'd bet for UA, it's a more efficient way to serve BKK.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by marcusf
I recently had a conversation with a long time UA employee who indicated that management is intending to return to BKK maybe in the next year. There is a lot of demand from measure travelers and very little direct service from mainland USA.
There is no direct (non stop) service from anywhere in the USA to Thailand. The only non stop in recent times was Thai (LAX-BKK) on the gas guzzling A340-500, and that was ended in 2014 IIRC.

Presumably “measure travelers” means leisure travelers. And leisure travelers don’t make money for full service airlines. I was 100% successful on GPUs to BKK when United flew there on W fares; that doesn’t point to good paid J yields.

I woukd love to have UA return to BKK but I just don’t see it happening. So like others I look for W or P fares to close by countries (HKG) or cheap interline P fares with partners (SFO-ICN-BKK connecting to OZ). There are more lucrative routes out there to pursue, as the new IAD-TLV shows.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
.... And leisure travelers don’t make money for full service airlines. ....
And BKK is popular partially as a low-cost leisure destination, so many of those travelers are looking for low-cost travel.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
This rumor has been floating basically since UA left nearly five years ago.

Will believe it when it's formally announced.
A number of reasons, even if fuel stays cheap, why this is unlikely:

(1) TG will start US service, likely to LAX (but SEA has also been discussed) once the FAA upgrades their safety status. See https://skift.com/2017/10/18/thai-ai...r-withdrawing/ TG has the A/C for the route, and will do it for prestige factor IMHO once FAA approval comes.
(2) UA canned it's staff and the traffic it had has gone elsewhere. Opening a new station takes time and $$$. UA can't just pick up where it left off.
(3) not that much premium traffic, mostly leisure. Much of the leisure traffic will not pay the extra costs of a ULR flight (7933 sm) vs connecting on multiple lower CASM flights in Asia, and absent paid premium traffic the enconomics are bad.
(4) flying from SEA/YVR would make a lot more sense ( its 7459 sm, and the 500 less flight time at those ranges matter) but UA does not have a hub there, and DL does not have the traffic to feed a flight like this ex-SEA). This said, I would think a flight by DL on the A359 is more likely than UA doing ex-SFO on the 789.
(5) some of the premium traffic is - due to Thailand's very sharp division in income - not business J but F traffic. UA is not set up to attract this slice of traffic.
(6) were UA to run the route from SFO, travel from some of the US would actually be quicker - with better options (overseas customs, no "domestic" F flights), via Europe/ME3.

I could go on, but just don't see UA committing the resources, or taking the losses needed to build up a route like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not going to get caught up in the debate whether yields justify UA to BKK. I'd love to see it, primarily because it's such a pain to get there on a GPU'ed ticket without either (a) overnighting at a connection point in at least one direction, (b) risking an expensive misconnect on separate tix, or (c) spending an unpleasantly long time in Y.

In the meantime, I've become pretty good at finding discount TPAC J fares and figuring out how to advantage various FFP currencies (including KF, BA, DL, KE, and AP).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
In the meantime, I've become pretty good at finding discount TPAC J fares
After 2 transpacs in 10-across 773 Y, this is my speed learning course of study
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: None anymore
I'm not going to get caught up in the debate whether yields justify UA to BKK. I'd love to see it, primarily because it's such a pain to get there on a GPU'ed ticket without either (a) overnighting at a connection point in at least one direction, (b) risking an expensive misconnect on separate tix, or (c) spending an unpleasantly long time in Y.

In the meantime, I've become pretty good at finding discount TPAC J fares and figuring out how to advantage various FFP currencies (including KF, BA, DL, KE, and AP).
Don't forget BR, I've found D fares for as low as $2,600 to LAX.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
You have the advantage of starting from Asia. International fares are highly asymmetrical, and the fares ex-USA have been particularly high over the past couple of years. Currently, LAX-BKK RT on BR starts at $5100 base fare (plus taxes, fees, and surcharges); BKK-LAX RT starts at $3300.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Me too. Though so far I’ve managed to find discount J fares all the way to BKK. I live in Portland OR so have the benefit of getting much cheaper ex-Canada fares, and separate tixing to YVR on AC. Last year I got YVR-SFO-NRT-BKK//:BKK-NRT-SEA-YVR (UA and NH) for $3200 vs $7800 ex-PDX. Add on a $280 AC ticket round trip and a hotel and I’m quids in.

In 2015 I did PDX-SFO-PEK-BKK (connect to CA), and BKK-PVG-SFO-PDX (originate TG) which was painful. And 2016 I did PDX-SFO-ICN-BKK round trip connect with OZ. That was somewhat better, but both had stupid o’clock departure times (1am) from BKK. At least I got to spend a few hours in Seoul on the 2016 trip.

If I’m guaranteed to make PQD for the year I’ll take BR . By far the most convenient times, and a Premium Economy/J combi works out great.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
You have the advantage of starting from Asia. International fares are highly asymmetrical, and the fares ex-USA have been particularly high over the past couple of years. Currently, LAX-BKK RT on BR starts at $5100 base fare (plus taxes, fees, and surcharges); BKK-LAX RT starts at $3300.
You are not wrong. I thank my lucky stars for that. That plus ICN is a destination that many carriers are competing in, so that adds in as well. NH won't touch ICN with a 10 foot pole though and for the life of me I can't get a NH fare to price going to the US and back via Japan. Anyway but that's besides the point, at least for now I've been able to get amazing fares to and from the US and Europe originating in ICN. My boss just paid $6,800 from SNA to ICN and back where I paid $2,200 for that last February.

I didn't realize BR was quite that high though. I just snagged a flight to LHR on BR for $2,400 in November...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:53 am

lol, I'm flying BR back from BKK in two weeks . . . they have a $3400 RT BKK-SFO fare right now. Best flight times (for me at least), best service.

I also got the $3600 SFO-SIN fare on SQ ($3200 through IAP) for November. I'll have considerably more spend off UA this year than on it (but will clear 1K tomorrow night SFO-EWR).

Originally Posted by jsloan
International fares are highly asymmetrical, and the fares ex-USA have been particularly high over the past couple of years.
The Premium Fares forum is largely an exercise in frustration if you're west coast based.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 16, 2018 at 1:07 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:09 am

I also got the $3600 SFO-SIN fare on SQ ($3200 through IAP) for November. I'll have considerably more spend off UA this year than on it (but will clear 1K tomorrow night SFO-EWR).
just curious, do you credit everything to your United account or do you have mileage accounts with NH, SQ, etc?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:23 am

just curious, do you credit everything to your United account or do you have mileage accounts with NH, SQ, etc?
I'll credit BR to UA at 125%, don't see any better option. SQ I'll probably credit to AS at 325%, but haven't decided for sure. (I do have a KF account and use the miles but the D only accrues at 125% there.)

Purchasing with Amex Plat at 5x takes some of the sting out of the UA point loss. The MR usually go to either KF or DL.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
The MR usually go to either KF or DL.
i didn’t know MR can transfer to Blue1 of Finland (IATA=KF). Learn something new on this forum everyday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.