New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I find it interesting that all these international airlines have non-stop flights from SAN: AC, BA, WK (Edelweiss), JL and LH. I do fly these airlines as a non-stop is very attractive and they do not seem to have an issue filling up the planes. So if SEA is being considered for new routes, then hopefully UA will also consider SAN (speaking as someone who flies from SAN)
I think SAN perfectly encapsulates the issue the US3 have. BA or LH or JL can sell you a one stop trip to anyplace in their system. And if you are a premium traveler, they can sell it to you all in J (or PE). That flight is not being run for SAN-LHR, SAN-NRT, or SAN-FRA, there is not enough traffic for that.

UA (or DL or AA) can't add say SAN-LHR, as they can't connect at either end, and they can't count on partner feed either. Nor do the JVs particularly help here. Lets say I want to go SAN-Sapporo or SAN-Harbin. Well UA will want me to go SAN-SFO-NRT-xxx. JAL can offer SAN-NRT-xxx.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
How about setting up a poll, so that we all get to vote on the route?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
How about setting up a poll, so that we all get to vote on the route?
I am all for some meaningless affirmation or meaningless humility.

The thread has seemingly broken out of Asia into a flight to anywhere. That would make this poll much more interesting.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
Nor do the JVs particularly help here. Lets say I want to go SAN-Sapporo or SAN-Harbin. Well UA will want me to go SAN-SFO-NRT-xxx. JAL can offer SAN-NRT-xxx.
That specific example - TPAC ex-SAN - doesn't have a JV partner but TATL does. From SJC the ANA flight gives options that AA/JL ot DL do not have one-stop.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Does this actually matter? I thought all airlines except AA hedged their oil bets.
Not necessarily, and jut because it is hedged doesn't mean it is cheap. It just means that the cost is known in advance. In recent years most hedges have been losing bets for the airlines, not winners.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Does this actually matter? I thought all airlines except AA hedged their oil bets. Therefore, oil rising in prices dont affect them till at least a year or more later since theyve already pre-bought / hedged.
Not to delve too deep into finance, but even though spot oil / prompt oil futures contracts are trading near $70, the futures curve is backwardated...depending on how far out UA and others hedged, they may not have any exposure to anything north of $60/bbl right now.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA is not hedged at all. Neither is DL nor AA nor B6. AS and WN have some hedge positions but aren't paying less than AA/UA/DL in Q1 '18. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-fuel-prices
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
UA is not hedged at all. Neither is DL nor AA nor B6. AS and WN have some hedge positions but aren't paying less than AA/UA/DL in Q1 '18. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-fuel-prices
Not a terribly informative article, in typical Bloomberg style.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by katan
... The thread has seemingly broken out of Asia into a flight to anywhere. ...
Yes, perhaps best for the discussion to return what we "speculate" what United will do.

For those personal favorites routes, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...16-onward.html is probaby a better fit.

... That would make this poll much more interesting.
FT polls don't allow more than 10 options, there have been far more than that mentioned in the thread, so without a narrow list of opportunities, a poll will not work.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I might further add, that the US3 are at a real disadvantage in most asia markets as the US airports are not really set up for transit. For example, there is a lot of Asia to SA traffic, and visa versa, but a lot of it goes via Europe/ME and some via Australia and NZ. For those with a US visa, its not an issue, but you can't simply transit the US airports in the same way you can most overseas. I would think that UA would be interested in something like SFO-GRU (6472 miles) or SFO-SCL (5918 miles) over these ULR flights to Asia.
I agree that the US3 are at a real disadvantage with transit traffic. However, I don't think SFO-GRU/SCL would operate even without any visa issues because the routes just have such low demand (especially SCL). There need to be some O&D passengers.

Re IAD unlike SFO/LAX/SEA - all of which get substantal traffic to both Asia and Europe and also to TLV, IAD has few flights to Asia. The US flag carriers certainly don't fly those routes. Same with MIA. Its a huge base for AA, but only for SA. MCO is just a tourist spot,and it does not support even a flight to NRT.
I agree with your points regarding SFO/LAX, but I do think IAD is ahead of SEA. Outside of Europe (IAD's largest intercontinental market) and ME3, IAD has PEK, NRT, ICN, HKG, JED, RUH, and DEL in Asia, ADD, CMN, JNB, DSS, and ACC in Africa, GRU, LBP, and BOG in South America. Plus, UA only has a monopoly on GRU and either doesn't serve or fights for passengers on every other route. Outside of Asia (SEA's largest intercontinental market) and ME3, SEA has DUB, CDG, LHR, LGW, AMS, FRA, KEF, and MAN in Europe and that's it. MIA/MCO lack flights to Asia due in large part to their geography, but the demand is there. BR, JL, and NH have all been in discussions with MIA for a nonstop flight in a few years. MCO probably won't get one in the near future because it doesn't have enough premium passengers even though it could fill an all Y aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by sbm12
Houston is UA's hedge. if you know what i mean.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Does this actually matter? I thought all airlines except AA hedged their oil bets. Therefore, oil rising in prices dont affect them till at least a year or more later since theyve already pre-bought / hedged.
Even if hedged, it matters long-run. Say United has locked in jet fuel for a year at current prices. It still has to consider year 2, 3, etc., and those prices are going to trend upward (typically) as the current price goes up. United can't opportunistically start a route based on its currently hedged prices if it has a sense that prices will be higher in a year or two.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
Houston is UA's hedge. if you know what i mean.
I think that's what is called a "natural hedge" lols.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
FT polls don't allow more than 10 options, there have been far more than that mentioned in the thread, so without a narrow list of opportunities, a poll will not work.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
How about two polls: one for the selection of the hub, the second for the favored destination. Clunky but creates more options.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
How about two polls: one for the selection of the hub, the second for the favored destination. Clunky but creates more options.
Only one poll per thread -- and two separate polls will provide a number of meaningless combinations. Having trouble see the object but if there is a consensus list we can create a poll. It is likely UA has made the decision long ago, so folks should not expect this to have an influence. But that does not mean there can not be a poll, but for now, I can not see a useful set of poll options. Can you?

Too many parameters/unknowns and too many thinking about what they want versus what a business should do. We already have an "I want thread" - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...16-onward.html -- thought this thread was more about what UA would do and why.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Soundman76
I am hearing (from reliable sources from the inside) that there maybe more SFO to Asia Flights coming soon? Has anyone else hear about this?

SFO-BKK or HKG-BKK
SFO-SGN or HKG-SGN
SFO-KUL or HKG-KUL
Hey OP, any update from your source? Since you posted this, the following has happened:

1. SFO-SIN has gone from 1 non-stop/day to 3 non-stops/day, so forget abou KUL.
2. Bamboo is buying 20 789s. SGN-SFO/LAX likely, UA wont want to complete, so forget about SGN.
3. UA upgraded EWR-BOM capacity by switching to a 77W. So SFO may draw less connection traffic to India
4. Remember, UA getting a shiny new 77W in Q4 that needs to fly somewhere...

That leaves BKK! OP, buy your buddy a drink and lets get some closure!
goodeats21 and chavala like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.