Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

There's a timer coming to United.com for ticket purchases

Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

It appears United.com has rolled out a few changes overnight. Here are the two I immediately spot:

1. "Non Stop Only" on the home page when booking a flight is now just the "tag" they probably use in the code. The checkmark simply has "NonStopOnly" with no formatting to it.
2. There's now a timer on the booking page that starts at 2min30secs (2:30) from when you select a flight and are reviewing your trip itinerary. The timer is located in the upper-right beneath the price summary. There's no wording or anything other than the timer at this time. This started late last night as I was booking a multitude of flights. For grins I let it time out to see what would happen and a pop-up window appears asking if you want to purchase the current itinerary, start a new search or go to the home page. Clicking Purchase Itinerary brings you to the next logical page in the booking process and I no longer see a timer on this page. My guess is the timer is a behind-the-scenes thing United added to bring the new pop-up. I don't think they are supposed to be displaying it on the page.

-RM
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I don't see either of these....? (Using Chrome on Windows & MAC; Cookies NOT cleared from last week).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I don't see either of these....? (Using Chrome on Windows & MAC; Cookies NOT cleared from last week).
Neither do I on my iMac using both safari and firefox both logged in and not logged in and with my adblocker turned on and off
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I did not see it either this morning when I booked two tickets. It's good because 2 minutes 30 seconds is way too short. Would be added stress. I remember on another airline (or was it a ferry booking?), I once saw a time clock that was 10 minutes. Nearly did not make it and made the process more stressful than what it needed to be.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like United.com cleaned these up already. Both are now gone. BTW, I am using Chrome on Windows 10 and Windows 7 and both showed these "features".

I suspect someone pushed the wrong build of United.com to the GA release. The timer, as I suspected above, was simply the amount of time that would pass before the new pop-up saying "hey, you buyin' or what?" would appear. It did NOT appear to be a "book it or lose it" timer. Now the timer is hidden but the pop-up still appears 2.5 minutes after getting to the Review Itinerary page.

-RM
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Both of these have re-appeared this morning. I'm using Windows 10 and Chrome (latest version).

This one shows the timer down around 50 seconds under the price in the upper-right corner with no description of what the timer is for.

This one shows the "Nonstop" bug. Yesterday it showed "NonStopOnly" and today it only shows "Nonstop".

-RM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.