Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Brenda and her lies (1k phone agent not being forthcoming)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brenda and her lies (1k phone agent not being forthcoming)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Global321
Really? Non-revs only? All 21 passengers looking to upgrade were non-revs ?!?!

Not one revenue passenger was looking to upgrade?

That seems to be the most unbelievable part of your rant.
Combined with the fact that he's 1K and he stated "We were waitlisted for the upgrade since 2+ months and the chance of it clearing was very slim as First had checked in full and we were #3 and #4 on the waitlist.".
So who are #1 and #2 if they're all non-revs.....
Global321 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:38 am

I believe I had the same 1K agent - the dreaded Brenda. I was flying from FLL to IAH and the plane had mechanical issues. I was fine being delayed as IAH is home, but many passengers jumped to get rebooked on the later flights. As it became evident that the plane would not get fixed and would not leave that day I began to scramble to get to IAH. All of the flights out of FLL were now booked and I had to go to MIA. I saw there was one seat left in first on a flight out of MIA that I could make. I called the 1K line and got - BRENDA. (Although there could be multiple Brendas) Brenda said she booked me on the MIA flight - essentially "protecting me on the flight' while keeping me on my original flight. I had a little time left to give the maintenance crew before I had to go to MIA. Another FC passenger standing next to me heard my phone call and went up to the gate agent at FLL, and walks away with a FC boarding pass for the MIA flight that I was supposedly "protected" on. I went up to the gate agent and asked about my status and he said that I was not not the MIA flight at all and that now all of the FC seats were gone. I called back to 1K line and spoke with a supervisor venting that I felt I had been lied to and led on by BRENDA. I ended up having to transfer to MIA and United placed me on an American flight home in First Class, but only after I got very angry at them.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Really? Non-revs only? All 21 passengers looking to upgrade were non-revs ?!?!

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Combined with the fact that he's 1K and he stated "We were waitlisted for the upgrade since 2+ months and the chance of it clearing was very slim as First had checked in full and we were #3 and #4 on the waitlist.".
FT Rule #62 : Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant
Global321 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
My other take-away from all this is confusion over the use of the 1K line. I has always assumed that it was there for two purposes - to allow faster access for 1Ks and also to reflect the fact that most 1Ks (clearly not all) are experienced in using the website and will likely have more complicated problems to solve. I have certainly come across 1K agents who were less competent, but I have never come across one who was not willing to spend enough time to solve my particular issue. But then I would never dream of trying to get an agent to break company policy and feed me load management data.
So true. Except for a GPU with confirmed availability here and there I rarely use or count on upgrades. I pay for J for long-haul flights with $ or miles.

Having a phone number available where I'm pretty sure it won't be an annoying experience if I have to call is a huge perk for me (and works pretty consistently).

Some months ago I ended up on the regular United CS number. Oh boy, that was a quick HUCA (and sure made me appreciate the much better service we get on the 1k line).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:11 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have read this entire thread and am just shaking my head!

the most shocking comment to me was from the OP who says he ad never heard the term “HUCA” and what it means? On Flyertalk for over 15 years and never heard that term?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the basis for allegations of abuse and intimidation here? The OP was just trying to ask some questions.
Re-read OP’s first statement about reporting Brenda to “higher ups” for “appropriate action.” That’s intimidation. And calling Brenda a repeat liar with no basis in fact constitutes abuse — I certainly would resent being called a repeat liar if I know that I have simply followed policy as my duty.

If OP could overcome their own confirmation bias (Martie said that Brenda should be able to see the list; therefore Brenda was lying when she said she couldn’t see the list), OP should learn from this experience that Brenda was not lying but was dutifully doing her job. And for the sake of us who know how to pry information from agents but prefer to keep hush about it, I would advise OP not to report Brenda to the “higher ups.” Not only would it create the opposite effect of making Brenda a star employee and putting an egg on OP’s face, but it might also get Martie in trouble and keep agents like that from dispensing information to us when we need it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:04 am

I know a way for you to get upgraded that can't miss: pay for it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:20 am

Has anyone considered the information in the app was not accurate? I suspect Brenda may have had access to more real time data than what the disgruntled user was seeing.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Non-reving in business or first class costs more. On many flights, most non-revs will not list for higher classes due to the cost. Domestically you don't see very many non-revs listed for first class.

This was a HNL-ORD flight, however. On a flights such as that you'll often see the majority of the non-revs listed for all cabins due to the long length of the flight.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AA/Plat, DL/Gold, SPG/Plat, HHonors/Gold, FoundersCard, Eagles Fan
OP makes an excellent point. IMO observing UA1Ks it's best to point out Who I Am, as all UA staff -- from ticket agents to FAs -- respond effectively to same.

But seriously folks, if you want to maintain your status and not be tagged as a problem pax, the best route might be to follow the rules and not publicly call out agents one dislikes. One even considers the best way to handle these situations going forward would be to befriend a UA employee or non-employee passrider who has access to the nonrev travel portal. (It's surprisingly easy as UA grants portal access to spouses/children/etc). One just has to be polite, patient... and perhaps not announce quite so loudly Who One Is.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:55 am

So, you switched to the DEN flight and then changed your mind on the way to airport? Or were you on the phone the whole time with the agent? If you wanted to change because you mentioned DEN flight was about to leave in 5 minutes, that is not their fault. And you called back and got the same agent? Did you want to change back to ORD since you were not getting the upgrade you wanted?

I thought about same thing. I have friend who is pilot for another airline and he has told me that what is open to the public does not always tell the story. It may say 10 seats open when actually only 2 seats are

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2018 at 10:13 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Being #3 and #4 referred to the first flight (non-stop)

Beleive the 21 Non-rev comment referred to the flight option connecting vis DEN
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

A number of posts are getting rather "personal" -- remember the rules
12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming
FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.
Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.
Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Or the shorthand -- Discuss the issue, not the poster

Remember the familiarity with policies and rules can vary even among frequent flyers -- that is why many of us are active on FT to gain that understanding.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:49 am

paranoid much? "everyone is lying to me, they're all out to get me" LOL!

if you want the upgrade so much, BUY IT!! ..

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2018 at 10:55 am Reason: per moderator note
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
You people who keep chanting "if you want an upgrade, just buy it!" are apparently unfamiliar with frequent flyer programs (easily half the reason why FlyerTalk exists in the first place). Read the various wiki threads and see how people upgrade instead of spending thou$ands of dollars on the same tickets.
BThumme likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.