Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Going back and forth between terminal c and b at ewr

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going back and forth between terminal c and b at ewr

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Is there any chance my LO flight will depart from a gate inaccessible to the shuttle, forcing me to trudge back through security a second time? Or does EWR always group its *A int’l flights near one another?
No. LO will always depart from concourse B3. The airside bus will drop you off there but you need to confirm with driver. As UA has no departure flights at Terminal B, bus may skip the stop at B unless requested.
RandomBaritone and perkele like this.

Last edited by Repooc17; May 21, 2019 at 6:45 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I’m flying EWR>WAW in LO J in three weeks on a UA award. I was planning on clearing security at Terminal C so I can visit the Polaris lounge, and I had thought it’d be easy to hop over to my gate in Terminal B using the airside shuttle, but I’ve just learned that Terminal B is cordoned off into separate airside concourses the way Terminal A is.

Is there any chance my LO flight will depart from a gate inaccessible to the shuttle, forcing me to trudge back through security a second time? Or does EWR always group its *A int’l flights near one another?
The shuttle bus from Terminal C drops passengers in Terminal B but not pick up, so you would be fine and you wouldn't need to clear security after you are in Terminal C and you have enjoyed the Polaris lounge. So, United would bus you to Terminal B Module 3 ( please correct if I'm wrong about the module ) for your LOT flight. The bus departs from somewhere near gate C71, however, I don't have information about the operating hours of the bus.
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Thanks to you all for the speedy replies!

Originally Posted by entropy
Why would you bother? none of those lounges are anything special, and all would be a pain in the butt.
My LO flight departs from Terminal B.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
My LO flight departs from Terminal B.
entropy asked the question for the OP of the thread as he was planning to use a PP lounge in his C to C transfer.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
entropy asked the question for the OP of the thread as he was planning to use a PP lounge in his C to C transfer.
The info is also now outdated. There are no more PP accessible lounges at Terminal A.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
It was probably a couple of years ago, but I was a Delta Sky-Club member, and would use the "B" EWR terminal SC frequently when connecting on UA at EWR. During one of said connections, I was using the temporary SC, where the only available washrooms were in the concourse, and noted UA running a couple of domestic flights out of some gates near the circular portion of the same "B" terminal pier. (This part of "B" terminal is not connected directly to the LH gates.) Sure enough, UA was running a shuttle from these "B" gates to the "C" terminal. Passengers were infrequent enough that shuttle people would call the driver on the radio for pickup of lone pax. This would not be that useful for accessing the "attractive" things at terminal "B", but UA can and has provided shuttle buses, albeit sporadically terminals B>C.
I have also noticed United aircraft ( mostly wide-bodies ) in one of the B concourses ( don't remember which one ) during my visit in October 2018. It was early morning where there were almost no foreign carriers at the airport. They might operate several flights from Terminal B when Terminal C and United gates at Terminal A is at capacity.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have also noticed United aircraft ( mostly wide-bodies ) in one of the B concourses ( don't remember which one ) during my visit in October 2018. It was early morning where there were almost no foreign carriers at the airport. They might operate several flights from Terminal B when Terminal C and United gates at Terminal A is at capacity.
UA uses Term B for international arrivals but not departures.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K & Marriott Titanium
so you would be fine and you wouldn't need to clear security after you are in Terminal C and you have enjoyed the Polaris lounge
plus security in C is generally MUCH faster than in B
Old May 22, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Pics or it didn't happen. It is certainly not the way it is pitched.
Huh? You really want me to go take pictures for a visit I made in the past in an airport I don't traverse more than once a year?

FWIW, the LH lounge was super crowded, but still better than any other UnitedClub, the bus "gate agent" was crabby, and they wouldn't let me back down the stairs at B. All as described elsewhere in this thread.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA uses Term B for international arrivals but not departures.
Some domestic arrivals as well... I forget where my original was but I was dumped off on B-something last year (IIRC it was a Delta branded gate with a United COW in front of it)... Shuttle definitely picked me up and brought me to C for my onward connection all airside. Have also been on a C-A shuttle that has stopped at B as well. I would assume if a domestic aircraft lands at B due to gate avability, especially with a COW at the gate, it will eventually depart as a domestic from the same gate, as rare as it may be.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:12 am

I am flying on SAS tomorrow from terminal B and I want to go to the Swatch store in that is past security in terminal C beforehand. Can I go back and forth from B to C after I check my luggage? Does it matter that it's an international flight?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by bjaws
Can I go back and forth from B to C after I check my luggage?
Yes. Either landside using the AirTrain or airside using the UA Shuttle Bus, or using a combination of both. Note: no bus before 10A and after 10P.

The fastest option would generally be checking your bags at B, taking the landside AirTrain to C, going through security there, do your shopping (and visit PL if J/F), take the airside bus to B.

Even though they may courtesy "inform" you that you are entering the wrong terminal, TSA won't stop you from doing so.

Originally Posted by bjaws
Does it matter that it's an international flight?
No, except that your watch should not be charged sales tax. For the bus, what matters is that it is a Star Alliance flight, so you're good. They'll ask to see your *A BP.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
Yes. Either landside using the AirTrain or airside using the UA Shuttle Bus, or using a combination of both. Note: no bus before 10A and after 10P.
Just to clarify, you can and should take the UA airside shuttle after you are done shopping at C to go to B. The shuttle won't let you get on at B to go to C, for that you should take the airtrain and clear security at C.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by qisu
Just to clarify, you can and should take the UA airside shuttle after you are done shopping at C to go to B. The shuttle won't let you get on at B to go to C, for that you should take the airtrain and clear security at C.
Yes, although the PANYNJ and the wiki of the "Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR" topic still say otherwise.

Last edited by mozilla; Aug 29, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
Yes, although the PANYNJ and the wiki of the "Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR" topic still say otherwise.

My only experience is with the C-A connection. I did some browsing and each testimony that I could find of having to reclear security for the B-C trip was related to an international arrival and not the connection itself. AFAIK there is no TSA requirement that would prohibit airside bussing of screened pax from B to C. Is it just plain UA policy to not bus screened pax from B to C, or is there another reason that the PANYNJ's advice is incorrect?
I think it's a UA thing. Once or twice each year, while flying UA domestic connecting through EWR, I would make the hop on the shuttle from C to B to eat at the LH lounge. Then exit security and take the airtrain to C to re-clear security. In the B concourse for LH/SAS, there is no shuttle signage at the closed door that leads to the stairs down to the shuttle stop. If I remember correctly, once I asked the person working the B shuttle stop whether I can get on the shuttle at B and was told no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.