Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

For over a week I cannot use my GPUs, and now RPU is wrong (resolved) others impacted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For over a week I cannot use my GPUs, and now RPU is wrong (resolved) others impacted

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

Last week I started having problem in applying GPUs. I have 8 GPU in my account but whenever I want to upgrade online the number became 0. I have called GS desk multiple times and countless hours and they have called M+ desk multiple times. Eventually a M+ representative determined that it was a system problem and told me they will fix it in the next 24 hours. When I called back the next day no one could help me so I went over with another person and was told to call back 24 hours later. Then the next day I was told they have send a "spreadsheet" to the IT people and there is nothing more they can do. She said maybe in 24 to 48 hours it will be fixed by the IT guys. Well, it has been another 3 days my online account remain showing the same problem, only this time a new problem emerged. I did not have problem with RPU before but after applying 2 our of 8 RPUs a new problem occurred. I should have 6 RPU left but the upgrade pages showed only three. Calling M+ desk again but no use whatsoever. Any idea what is my next step?

I have 8 GPUs and 6 RPUs in my account, but when I trid to apply them online my GPUs all disappeared since a week ago, and now half of my RPUs also disappeared

Last edited by PanAmWT; Apr 14, 2018 at 7:40 pm
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I used to have a similar -but not exactly same- problem many years ago.
Have you tried calling the GS desk and asking them to make the booking for you and have them apply the GPU or RPU?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
I have talked to half dozen GS agents, many hours, they can't do anything because they said they can see my upgrades in account, but the handles (probably a button) to pull the each of the upgrades are all missing. That is why everyone eventually turned to M+. And the last two M+ agents all went to their supervisors.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I see.
My issue was that I could apply the GPU to the flight, but it never pulled, so at the airport I was downgraded several times back to Y after having a confirmed seat in J.
UA also told me they saw the error but couldn't fix it, and that they sent the request to IT after "flagging" my account for monitoring to see what triggered the fault.
Eventually, after about 9 months (!) the problem went away, although I believe not through direct intervention by UA but rather through a general software update on their end.
I did get several expired GPUs re-credited, as they had expired without me able to use them.

Hope they find out what's wrong with your situation faster than they did with mine! Good luck.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing the experience, although it sounds very gloomy..
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

UPDATES

On April 15 I called M+ again and was told that they are waiting for the IT to fix the problem. But they will be able to "lend" the upgrades to me based on the fact that I have 8 GPUs and 6 RPUs in my account. That relieved my anxiety as I need to travel very soon.

Yesterday (April 16) I went online to book my reservation. The first thing shown on the Welcome Back page was a big surprise. It shows that now I have no GPU and only 3 RPUs. My account is now consistent with the Upgrade page! When I look at the details of my account, Two transactions on April 8 and April 9 result in a net of 8 GPU "redemption". And on April 13 when I applied two RPUs, it showed I used 5 RPUs..

I then called M+ and a different agent look at my account and said, we see you have no more GPUs and 3 RPUs. After much conversation she advised me to check back "7 to 10 days". Now I may not even able to borrow.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
UPDATES

On April 15 I called M+ again and was told that they are waiting for the IT to fix the problem. But they will be able to "lend" the upgrades to me based on the fact that I have 8 GPUs and 6 RPUs in my account. That relieved my anxiety as I need to travel very soon.

Yesterday (April 16) I went online to book my reservation. The first thing shown on the Welcome Back page was a big surprise. It shows that now I have no GPU and only 3 RPUs. My account is now consistent with the Upgrade page! When I look at the details of my account, Two transactions on April 8 and April 9 result in a net of 8 GPU "redemption". And on April 13 when I applied two RPUs, it showed I used 5 RPUs..

I then called M+ and a different agent look at my account and said, we see you have no more GPUs and 3 RPUs. After much conversation she advised me to check back "7 to 10 days". Now I may not even able to borrow.
Hope you kept the original of the screenshot above! A dedicated agent should be able to track the redemptions to determine that, for instance, three of your April 13 redemptions aren't tied to any flight and redeposit the certificates.

This sounds like a flabbergasting mess, and I am glad to have never needed to suffer through similar.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Yes I do have all the screen shots. Here is the new Welcome Page that now matches the upgrade page:
and this is the new Activity page. The only activities should be the redemption of 1 GPU then redeposited due to ticket cancellation, and the redemption of 2 RPUs.

Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Yikes! Could someone else have acess to your account and used the GPUs?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This is my thought. I've never seen GPU/RPUs redeemed without corresponding activity.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
This is my thought. I've never seen GPU/RPUs redeemed without corresponding activity.
That occurred to me also as possible, but coinciding with the extra three pulled when two redeemed and the original phantom display is too weird.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by fumje
That occurred to me also as possible, but coinciding with the extra three pulled when two redeemed and the original phantom display is too weird.
But this bug seems too... "good" to be just affecting one user (or maybe just one on Flyertalk). If it was systematic pulling the wrong number of upgrades redeemed, don't you think many of us would be experiencing at least similar results? *Shrugs. I'm baffled.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
But this bug seems too... "good" to be just affecting one user (or maybe just one on Flyertalk). If it was systematic pulling the wrong number of upgrades redeemed, don't you think many of us would be experiencing at least similar results? *Shrugs. I'm baffled.
I did not save the activity page when I made the original post. At that time (April 14) the activity page showed correctly (cannot remember the exact April dates listed then):

RPU Redemption (2)
GPU Redemption (1)
GPU Deposit 1

At that time the welcome page was correct, but the upgrade page was already wrong.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
A very probable explanation.
I have recently received redeposit of RPUs for no reason (perhaps, from OP's account. ) since April 1. I did not bother to call UA for RPUs that were not automatically returned because I would not be able to use them. But, it is nice to see those returns without my intervention..
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
A very probable explanation.
I have recently received redeposit of RPUs for no reason (perhaps, from OP's account. ) since April 1. I did not bother to call UA for RPUs that were not automatically returned because I would not be able to use them. But, it is nice to see those returns without my intervention..
LOL! The culprit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.