How to check flight load?

Old Apr 14, 18, 4:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Is it really that valuable? They implicitly publish their J/F loads.
J/F seat maps provide most of the info already. The correlation between load and setmaps as far reliable for economy.
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The for sale numbers don't match actual loads, due to overbooking both into premium cabin (if any) as well as in general (expecting no-shows/misconnects/etc).
I thought UA doesn't overbook premium cabin??
Old Apr 14, 18, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
I think they overbook J in planes where there is F. Like in the 3 class 772 which is the plane I have taken most often on international flights since I started flying UA in 2016.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
AFAIK they don't, and I didn't say otherwise.

But with no seats left in coach, they'll still sell coach seats if they have premium cabin open.
Old Apr 14, 18, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver

But with no seats left in coach, they'll still sell coach seats if they have premium cabin open.

and with no seats left in coach, theyíll still sell seats in coach even if no premium cabin on the plane or no premium cabin available. Itís all a matter of how much they will overbook - they have a history of no-shows, know that a certain amount are likely to mid-connect, etc. thatís why there is VDB/IDB - when they miscalculate how many to overbook.

Old Apr 15, 18, 6:17 pm

I interpreted (I think pretty reasonably) "due to overbooking both into premium cabin (if any) as well as in general (expecting no-shows/misconnects/etc)" as a reference to overbooking the premium cabin.
Old Apr 15, 18, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I interpreted (I think pretty reasonably) "due to overbooking both into premium cabin (if any) as well as in general (expecting no-shows/misconnects/etc)" as a reference to overbooking the premium cabin.
"overbooking into the premium cabin" means selling Y tickets while Y is overbooked on the basis of existing premium inventory (which is then blocked for each additional seat in Y sold). The expectation is for op-ups to resolve the overbook, rather than no-shows and/or DBs.
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:53 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
Beside overbooking, they'll also "underbook". For example SFO-SIN and LAX-SIN in winter.
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
"overbooking into the premium cabin" means selling Y tickets while Y is overbooked on the basis of existing premium inventory (which is then blocked for each additional seat in Y sold). The expectation is for op-ups to resolve the overbook, rather than no-shows and/or DBs.
Thanks for explaining!! Now I get it!!
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
Beside overbooking, they'll also "underbook". For example SFO-SIN and LAX-SIN in winter.
Married segment logic is often also used to disfavor booking nonstop O/D itineraries on certain flights. The intra-Asia routes serviced by 737s used to be a reliable example of this where, for example, NRT-ICN would often show Y0 if you searched for that segment alone (which might lead you to believe that it's sold out), but would have plenty of availability if searched as, ORD-NRT-ICN.

Search this Thread