FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How to check flight load? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1903875-how-check-flight-load.html)

WineCountryUA Apr 14, 18 4:35 pm


Originally Posted by fumje (Post 29640574)
Is it really that valuable? They implicitly publish their J/F loads.

J/F seat maps provide most of the info already. The correlation between load and setmaps as far reliable for economy.

physioprof Apr 14, 18 5:03 pm


Originally Posted by mduell (Post 29639473)
The for sale numbers don't match actual loads, due to overbooking both into premium cabin (if any) as well as in general (expecting no-shows/misconnects/etc).

I thought UA doesn't overbook premium cabin??

StuckinITH Apr 14, 18 6:35 pm


Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 29640712)
I thought UA doesn't overbook premium cabin??

I think they overbook J in planes where there is F. Like in the 3 class 772 which is the plane I have taken most often on international flights since I started flying UA in 2016.

mduell Apr 14, 18 7:19 pm


Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 29640712)
I thought UA doesn't overbook premium cabin??

AFAIK they don't, and I didn't say otherwise.

But with no seats left in coach, they'll still sell coach seats if they have premium cabin open.

emcampbe Apr 14, 18 8:06 pm


Originally Posted by mduell (Post 29641032)
AFAIK they don't, and I didn't say otherwise.

But with no seats left in coach, they'll still sell coach seats if they have premium cabin open.



and with no seats left in coach, theyíll still sell seats in coach even if no premium cabin on the plane or no premium cabin available. Itís all a matter of how much they will overbook - they have a history of no-shows, know that a certain amount are likely to mid-connect, etc. thatís why there is VDB/IDB - when they miscalculate how many to overbook.



physioprof Apr 15, 18 6:17 pm


Originally Posted by mduell (Post 29641032)
AFAIK they don't, and I didn't say otherwise.

But with no seats left in coach, they'll still sell coach seats if they have premium cabin open.

I interpreted (I think pretty reasonably) "due to overbooking both into premium cabin (if any) as well as in general (expecting no-shows/misconnects/etc)" as a reference to overbooking the premium cabin.

findark Apr 15, 18 8:31 pm


Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 29644081)
I interpreted (I think pretty reasonably) "due to overbooking both into premium cabin (if any) as well as in general (expecting no-shows/misconnects/etc)" as a reference to overbooking the premium cabin.

"overbooking into the premium cabin" means selling Y tickets while Y is overbooked on the basis of existing premium inventory (which is then blocked for each additional seat in Y sold). The expectation is for op-ups to resolve the overbook, rather than no-shows and/or DBs.

HkCaGu Apr 16, 18 12:53 am

Beside overbooking, they'll also "underbook". For example SFO-SIN and LAX-SIN in winter.

physioprof Apr 16, 18 6:10 pm


Originally Posted by findark (Post 29644446)
"overbooking into the premium cabin" means selling Y tickets while Y is overbooked on the basis of existing premium inventory (which is then blocked for each additional seat in Y sold). The expectation is for op-ups to resolve the overbook, rather than no-shows and/or DBs.

Thanks for explaining!! Now I get it!!

Sykes Apr 16, 18 6:50 pm


Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 29644960)
Beside overbooking, they'll also "underbook". For example SFO-SIN and LAX-SIN in winter.

Married segment logic is often also used to disfavor booking nonstop O/D itineraries on certain flights. The intra-Asia routes serviced by 737s used to be a reliable example of this where, for example, NRT-ICN would often show Y0 if you searched for that segment alone (which might lead you to believe that it's sold out), but would have plenty of availability if searched as, ORD-NRT-ICN.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.