Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-Revs and their Shenanigans (asking customer to move/change seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Revs and their Shenanigans (asking customer to move/change seats)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I basically agree with most of the people's comments about booking to guarantee assignments and seating strategys, My only problems with the whole situation is that I don't believe non-revs or anyone but particularly non-res should be lying to secure better seats, wethers they are assigned or not.

Now if the working FA agrees to a passenger's seat change wouldn't that be considered assigned, not as in a system assigned but as in the flight is about to push back and the GA cannot get involved. Is there a way to change seats on the app once check in has closed? we tried doing it but could not get it done as the option was no longer available.

Nonetheless the problem also started once United kicked us out of the crew rest seats that were available to passengers for weeks and booted minutes before the flight boarded. But that's a different problem that has little to do with this situation.

I guess lesson learned and the answer to all questions regarding seats is no from now on.

Thanks for the feedback
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
NRSA are not allowed to ask customers to change / move assigned seats.

However, since the seat was not formally assigned, the NRSA would be allowed to request and be assigned that seat.

" called dibs on a seat " is not a valid concept for air travel. And the "pressure" seems unclear if it was a polite request (all be it, perhasp inappropriate request).

Best to make a formal seat change -- with GA or with app.
That may be, but a non rev on one of few flights where there were seats in Biz for them after paying pax got their seats / upgrades asked me to change seats so she could sit next to another nonrev.

On a different note, a somewhat rude nonrev who got a battlefield u/g to Biz was motioning for me to move out of the way so he could walk to the other aisle via row 5 on 789, apparently too lazy to walk the extra six feet to cross over via the galley
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
A non-rev can also be flying FOR WORK and not paying. It could be a positioning flight the same day or next day so that FA could perform his/her duties. Yes they aren't paying. But how is that different from you/me taking a business work trip. We're not paying, our company is. Same thing. The non-rev isn't paying for his/her positioning flight, United is.
Positioning flights, like deadheading, should be treated differently by the airlines.

The point is that when they are receiving a free travel benefit, they should be the least important people on that plane.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Love the more and more classist these non-rev threads get.

Maybe those of us who pay for flights out of our own pocket with no employer reimbursement should be fanned with palm fronds by the people traveling on tickets paid for by their job.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pmlflyer
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice. so Myself (Plat) and my GF (Gold) flew two nights ago on UA51 to Madrid. We were seated on 18E and 18F. Close to departure we realized that 18D was a no show. Mentioned to the FA that my GF would like to move to such seat and the FA said that would be fine once the door closed.
Your mistake was asking the FA. It's not like you were asking to move to a seat 5 rows away from your seat. If you have felt uncomfortable sitting in a seat that was not yours, you could just stand in that space until the door closed. Passenger behind you would not have realized that the aisle seat was indeed empty until it was too late.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Positioning flights, like deadheading, should be treated differently by the airlines.

The point is that when they are receiving a free travel benefit, they should be the least important people on that plane.
actually, they’re a passenger just like you and me...they should be a model passenger, but they’re still a passenger, and they have earned the flight-just in a different way.

Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What is kind of ridiculous - unless the passenger screamed out, I'm a non-rev, you don't really know.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Maybe those of us who pay for flights out of our own pocket with no employer reimbursement should be fanned with palm fronds by the people traveling on tickets paid for by their job.
I could go for that...
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendsOnly

actually, they’re a passenger just like you and me...they should be a model passenger, but they’re still a passenger, and they have earned the flight-just in a different way.

i could see being upset if it was an assigned seat-but it wasn’t. Yeah it’s a jerk move, but c’mon.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What is kind of ridiculous - unless the passenger screamed out, I'm a non-rev, you don't really know.
As discussed in another thread, there are ways to tell. Including some very obvious clues @:-)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
As discussed in another thread, there are ways to tell. Including some very obvious clues @:-)
whats obvious?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I have a simple answer: because they aren't paying.

Whatever the worst experience on the plane is, it should be borne by the nonrevs rather than any paying customer. Again, it isn't as though they can't pay. They can and choose not to.
Would you advocate then that award travelers are getting the same treatment? Because, you know, they didn’t pay (with money). Non revs get their travel privileges as part of their overall work compensation. In other words, they pay for their “free” tickets with prior work, similar to how I pay for “free” award travel with prior revenue travel.

Come to think of it, the lowest on the totem pole should perhaps be OPM travelers who use the miles earned with their business travel for free personal travel.
JVPhoto likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GS
This is nearly identical to a plot point of Curb your Enthusiasm Season 9 episode 6.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
So what - my name has appeared on both upgrade lists and I wasn't flying non-rev - so, unless they screamed it out, it doesn't mean anything.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Did not read all the posts.
OP, 1) You and GF were pushovers. 2) If the 3 non revs were together you should have askloper to switch the seat with his buddy ! After all what are friend for ! 3) I generally switch on my own as soon as the door begins to close. If a rightful occupant of that seat somehow shows up, I will give it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.