Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flights going from E+ to middle seats.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Happened 3 times now. I have E+ seats booked. When they reschedule you automatically, all 3 times this has happened to me I've been given a middle seat in B or E and never in an E+ area, including flights that are 6+ hours away and not in the affected flight disrpution area. The last time their were only 125+/- flights cancelled across the country that day. So we aren't talking major disruptions here. Twice my 3 year old son has been given a middle seat by himself.

It seems they have the computers programmed this way. Anyone else notice this? Anything we can do about it? I end up with a $150-$200 voucher each time but I don't want that garbage (I'm very tall).

Now that they are selling fares with no seat assignments it's especially bizarre that you don't get whatever seats they're holding for them.

Man I hate UA. I wish someone else flew their routes.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:51 pm

UA has pulled this disappearing seat assignment trick for "aircraft changes" also.

It happened to us twice summer of 2012 and 3rd time few months later, in those cases due to "aircraft change" but same "computer re-assignment" excuse given. Even though each time new aircraft was exactly the same size (same # rows), GA said computer had reassigned all seats "by status". So basically computer re-assigned all of our E+ seats - that we'd carefully purchased months in advance - to random Elite flyers who could have just bought their ticket. We were not seated together, every one of us got a middle seat and In one case our then-5-year old was assigned a seat ten rows behind me. I know policy says "seat assignments are not guaranteed". But this just seems wrong unless the new aircraft really is a different size. No we are not Elite flyers but we fly frequently enough.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10

Man I hate UA. I wish someone else flew their routes.
I don't have too much experience with AA IRROPS. When AA reschedules you, do you keep your seat assignment (aisle/window/Main Cabin Extra) or is it random as well?

And I'm assuming you're elite so you get E+ for free?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Happened 3 times now.
You have been extraordinarily unfortunate to get 3 cancellations -- with the typical cancellation rate of 1% or so.

I have E+ seats booked. When they reschedule you automatically, all 3 times this has happened to me I've been given a middle seat in B or E and never in an E+ area, including flights that are 6+ hours away and not in the affected flight disrpution area. The last time their were only 125+/- flights cancelled across the country that day. So we aren't talking major disruptions here. Twice my 3 year old son has been given a middle seat by himself. ...
Are these on common or separate PNRs?
Have these been changes to smaller planes or flights that have been long booked full?

It seems they have the computers programmed this way. ...
Very much doubt that. If your canceled lights are lead for you to be booked on other flights that were already nearly full, there may not have been much to chose between.
getagb likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It seems they have the computers programmed this way.
I think you're right from my own experiences. The reaccommodation program seems to pay no regard for existing seat assignments, and assigns based on other factors (not sure if front to back, or what), and makes no attempt to keep reservations together.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You have been extraordinarily unfortunate to get 3 cancellations -- with the typical cancellation rate of 1% or so.

Are these on common or separate PNRs?
Have these been changes to smaller planes or flights that have been long booked full?

Very much doubt that. If your canceled lights are lead for you to be booked on other flights that were already nearly full, there may not have been much to chose between.
We are a family of 4, so either 1 or at most 2 PNR's.
I don't remember the two previous. Just the most recent was this: Flight was 6 hours or so out, was a 3 & 3 configuration. When we got there the plane was full.
Our home airport is Jackson, WY (in Grand Teton NP) so our cancellation rate is higher than the national average. Although this flight was cancelled - I guess I should have added "or significantly delayed to cause us to miss connections." We fly a lot to, probably 50k+ miles/year, we have no direct flights so most times it is 2 flights of a 1,000 miles so it isn't uncommon to fly 50 segments a year.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Isis possible the there were no available aisle/ window seats in E+ left?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zrs70
Isis possible the there were no available aisle/ window seats in E+ left?
The OP was also moved to E-, so it was a double whammy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.