1K, United and Status

Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
1K, United and Status

Today United reassured me once again in my choice of airlines. My wife let me know not to bother coming home about an hour before boarding my flight back and that she's been seeing another person and wants a divorce. My first call was to 1K line and even through my incoherent voice, emotions and everything, they managed to fix all my reservations for the week, waive all change fees and put me on the first flight out and force an upgrade. I wasn't expecting any of this and was ready to pay all the change fees and the upgrade. I guess I just needed to vent, but what I've noticed all years of my flying is that UA may not be the best in many aspects but they are easy to work with and they know when they don't deliver, and will go all the way to fix it.

p.s. would highly appreciate suggestions for fun bars in SFO
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am so glad United could help you in what sounds an absolutely horrible no good day. You will recover but the process is not fun. Good luck!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdbe
Today United reassured me once again in my choice of airlines. My wife let me know not to bother coming home about an hour before boarding my flight back and that she's been seeing another person and wants a divorce. My first call was to 1K line and even through my incoherent voice, emotions and everything, they managed to fix all my reservations for the week, waive all change fees and put me on the first flight out and force an upgrade. I wasn't expecting any of this and was ready to pay all the change fees and the upgrade. I guess I just needed to vent, but what I've noticed all years of my flying is that UA may not be the best in many aspects but they are easy to work with and they know when they don't deliver, and will go all the way to fix it.

Wow, tough time, happy to hear someone at UA with compassion helped you out. The week can only get better from here, right?

If you like beer, a couple of my preferred bars in SF city are Mikeller (sort of weird and hipster) and Toronado (cash only).
chaotix likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

My condolences on the surprise gut punch you just got. I've had friends who went through stuff like this who became suicidal. I remember going to see one of my friends almost everyday for a couple of weeks because I was so worried about him, so I highly recommend that you reach out to your family and friends for something familiar and stable in your life.

I am glad that United, through their very considerate actions, granted you a small quantum of solace in your time of despair. I've heard many such stories in my 25+ year flying career with UA, and it gives me comfort to know that there are still those within UA who are not only empowered to provide relief but who are inclined to do so.

Good luck and safe travels.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 8, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I'm really sorry to hear that but you do need to get back home. Just to establish that you did not abandon your home. And also it happened to a friend of mine and when she got home her husband that wanted the divorce had emptied the house of all his belongings and whatever was valuable that belonged to her.
Dublin_rfk and Counsellor like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I'm glad United helped you out at this time. I've had friends undergo this. I hope you will take the long-range perspective and realize that as long as you're kind to others and generally a good person it is more your ex-wife's loss than yours.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I'm really sorry to hear that but you do need to get back home. Just to establish that you did not abandon your home. And also it happened to a friend of mine and when she got home her husband that wanted the divorce had emptied the house of all his belongings and whatever was valuable that belonged to her.
writing this from the comforts of a F seat and Buffalo Trace... ( ops feel free to delete the thread if it’s inappropriate ) i did reach out to several people and neither of whom had approved of her in the first place.going home was not an option. How do you sleep in the same bed with someone that does not want to do anything with you do you go to a hotel or does she go to a hotel when you’re bankrolling her life or do you just sleep on the couch in your own house. Regardless i do not wish this upon my enemy and still open for bar suggestions in SFO
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Good grief, I am so sorry. It's nice to hear that UA stepped up to the plate in this situation and has your back.

Consider treating yourself to a fantastic meal. Assuming you're staying downtown, try Farallon just off Union Square for seafood (alternately, Waterbar on the Embarcadero), The Slanted Door at the Ferry Building for great Vietnamese, or get a table at Boulevard for refined American fare. If you want to order a medium rare steak and also enjoy waterfront views, I love Epic Steak on the Embarcadero, right next door to Waterbar.

If you just want to have whiskey shots, check out Hard Water on Pier 3.

Best of luck on what is sure to be an arduous journey.
tuolumne and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm glad United helped you out when you needed it. I can't even think how that would feel. If you like rum, smugglers cove is a great bar in SF.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Wow, tough time, happy to hear someone at UA with compassion helped you out. The week can only get better from here, right?

If you like beer, a couple of my preferred bars in SF city are Mikeller (sort of weird and hipster) and Toronado (cash only).
Mikkeller Bar in SF is great. Their spirits will lift your spirits!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:39 pm

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Glad that United was able to help at least in a way.

Some other SFO bars (assuming you mean actually in SF and not near the actual airport):
  • Trick Dog
  • Comstock Saloon
  • Bourbon & Branch (speakeasy, check website for the "password")
  • Rye
  • Dirty Water
  • Benjamin Cooper
  • True Laurel
  • Alembic
NoLaGent and tuolumne like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:50 pm

Great suggestions above, here's a good piece from Thrillist that also mentions several of those and some other good ones, with clickable links to their websites for address/info.:

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/san-...-san-francisco
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adams828
Yikes, sorry to hear that. Glad that United was able to help at least in a way.

Some other SFO bars (assuming you mean actually in SF and not near the actual airport):
  • Trick Dog
  • Comstock Saloon
  • Bourbon & Branch (speakeasy, check website for the "password")
  • Rye
  • Dirty Water
  • Benjamin Cooper
  • True Laurel
  • Alembic
no I mean the actual SF... i guess this answers the question that is what are the frequent traveler points for...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:29 pm

no I mean the actual SF... i guess this answers the question that is what are the frequent traveler points for...
fyi, all the comments (mine and others) are actual SF bars, not SFO.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Very sorry you find yourself in your situation. But having gone through a very similar divorce announcement (mine told me after i got off a crj-200), I will only suggest now is no time for drinking, you need to have a 100% clear head.

I'm not saying never drink again, but not now. PM me if you want info on a good path for the next few days/weeks.
LAXOGG, Counsellor and jonsg like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.