Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passengers have to close overhead bins now...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers have to close overhead bins now...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I fly United quite a lot, but this one's new to me. Flying SIN->SFO, a flight attendant says to my son, who is seated and buckled in the seat behind me: "I need you to get up and close the overhead bin." My son, being courteous and compliant gets up and does it, even though he has nothing in the bin himself.
FA was probably too short

Later in the boarding process, the purser says on the intercom: "people, if we want to leave on time, you need to get up and close the overhead bins above you." (the flight departed more than 10 minutes early).
I guess it worked
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by eng3
FA was probably too short ...
That's going to be a problem if she needs to grab the oxygen or the AED that's kept up there, isn't it? This all points to the big lie about being here "primarily for your safety." If you can't even close the overhead bins, I doubt you're able to do much for my safety.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by onthesam
In addition to speeding up turnarounds and acting as a reminder to people to clean up after themselves, that bag coming on down the aisle acts serves a de facto courtesy to you so you don't have to carry your own litter all the way off the plane and into a trash can. I don't believe it is intended solely to make you do extra work.
None of that is my concern. I don't pay to be a part of their work flow, and their turnaround times are their responsibility, not mine. As to the only alternative being to carry my own trash out...what? Sounds like a false dichotomy. It's not either/or. I can leave my litter right there where cleaning people can clean it.

Under what other circumstance in life are you not expected to pick up and throw out the refuse that you generate (barring perhaps someone standing right there to clean it. i.e. restaurant service)?
In service circumstances where I paid to be there and am the customer to be served...not to be in service.

The bus cleaners come on the public bus every night to clean it out - does that mean it's ok to leave your trash behind?
Yes. Because they are paid to do it.

How about a train? Do we leave that trashed too?
If they have cleaners to do that and I paid the rail company money to ride the train...some of that money going to pay those cleaners

Do you throw your trash into the street because the street sweeper is coming later?
No. Because aside from basic taxes, which I am obligated to pay by law, I am not PAYING to be in the street in exchange for a service.

Why is a plane any different?
Because I am the customer. Because I paid money to be there, not to work. I don't provide labor in addition to money.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

Let's return to the discussion of things UA. While references to other situations might be useful in the discussion, those non-UA situations should become the main topic of the thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's funny, but my general view of United FAs is that they are like RSMs/drill sergeants and used to barking out orders that will be complied with unreservedly with no thought as to how they may come across. You can get away with a lot of things in life, and this, if you are just nice about it and inject a bit of humility, civility, and a smile in your voice.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe_miami
If they didn't deliver the tray to your table, which they almost never do in food courts, then why would you expect them to come pick up the trash?

By that logic, should FAs fasten your seat belt for you, too?
I expect them to maintain the place in a clean state. Hence their ownership of mops and rags and janitors.

Reducto ad absurdum on the seatbelt question. However, I would have no problem if they came by and did it themselves.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's going to be a problem if she needs to grab the oxygen or the AED that's kept up there, isn't it? This all points to the big lie about being here "primarily for your safety." If you can't even close the overhead bins, I doubt you're able to do much for my safety.
The FA is actually tested - regularly - on her ability to perform safety tasks. We know she can do those, when it matters. Now, if they add a test, close 20 overhead bins on a 77W in 80 seconds, maybe she will be challenged.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Reducto ad absurdum on the seatbelt question. However, I would have no problem if they came by and did it themselves.
Not reductio ad absurdum at all. The seat belts have a lot more to do with safety than picking cups off the floor.
ContinentalFan and JVPhoto like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by fumje
Saw the same midflight when some careless other passenger left the bin open for an extended duration. It was a sizable bag, and it appeared to cause injury.

Also can't recall any male attendant on NH. TG does have male attendants.
I was on MNL-NRT and we had a male FA in the J cabin, and had a male FA on ITM-HND.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Not reductio ad absurdum at all. The seat belts have a lot more to do with safety than picking cups off the floor.
And as a matter of my personal safety, I don't mind doing it. I wouldn't have an issue if they did it for me however.

But I didn't pay the airline for the privilege of doing their cleaning for them. Refuse is not my concern or responsibility.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
But I didn't pay the airline for the privilege of doing their cleaning for them. Refuse is not my concern or responsibility.
How is it "their" cleaning? I've never once had an FA ask me to pick up someone else's trash. Are you seriously telling us you'd rather have cups and assorted other trash strewn about your seating area for the duration of a flight instead of simply handing said trash to a passing FA?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:40 pm

Just a minute. Just a cotton pickin' minute here, as Sylvester the Cat on 'Bugs Bunny' used to say.

Overhead bins cannot be compared to seat belts, merely because both should be secured for takeoff. Being ordered to close a bin, when I do not have the authority, let alone the responsibility, to close it is just not on. In other words, I can't order another passenger not to open a bin even during turbulence let alone during the minutes prior to expected departure, especially when I've been ordered via that little 'fasten seatbelts' sign to put my butt in the seat, something I can hardly do and get out of it, at one and the same time. So the idea that I'm to be responsible for the bins being securely closed is insane. In contrast, no passenger other than yours truly has any right to fool with my seat belt; if any passenger other than me tries to unclip it after I've closed it, I am within my rights to protest, and vigourously.

As far as helping keep the plane clean, I've no problem with that - provided any action to said end doesn't involve conflict with some other requirement, say keeping my butt in my seat as directed. Cooperation in cleanliness is the only way a plane will be kept as clean as possible in 'real time' i.e., while I'm actually aboard the stupid thing - I don't give a fig how clean the 'official cleaners' get it after I and my fellow pax have left!

Last edited by simpleflyer; Apr 10, 2018 at 4:47 pm Reason: removed 'blinking' from 'blinking fasten seatbelts sign' as they don't. Blink.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The FA is actually tested - regularly - on her ability to perform safety tasks. We know she can do those, when it matters. Now, if they add a test, close 20 overhead bins on a 77W in 80 seconds, maybe she will be challenged.
Not true at all.
Did you read about the oldest flight attendant, who would bring his lawyer to these 'tests'?

I mean, in the military they have "exemptions" for fitness, how much more flight attendants in the US?

Originally Posted by simpleflyer
Just a minute. Just a cotton pickin' minute here, as Sylvester the Cat on 'Bugs Bunny' used to say.

Overhead bins cannot be compared to seat belts, merely because both should be secured for takeoff. Being ordered to close a bin, when I do not have the authority, let alone the responsibility, to close it is just not on. In other words, I can't order another passenger not to open a bin even during turbulence let alone during the minutes prior to expected departure, especially when I've been ordered via that little 'fasten seatbelts' sign to put my butt in the seat, something I can hardly do and get out of it, at one and the same time. So the idea that I'm to be responsible for the bins being securely closed is insane. In contrast, no passenger other than yours truly has any right to fool with my seat belt; if any passenger other than me tries to unclip it after I've closed it, I am within my rights to protest, and vigourously.
You also cannot order another passenger not to undo their own seatbelt. Can you?
If someone else opens the bin while the plane is taking off (say the passenger in the opposite aisle for the bin over you, the aisle passenger), you aren't going to protest vigorous? You mean you have no rights even if a bag may fall out and hit your head?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 10, 2018 at 10:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
You also cannot order another passenger not to undo their own seatbelt. Can you?
If someone else opens the bin while the plane is taking off (say the passenger in the opposite aisle for the bin over you, the aisle passenger), you aren't going to protest vigorous? You mean you have no rights even if a bag may fall out and hit your head?
Indeed, I cannot order someone not to undo their own seatbelt, because I do not have authority to attempt to control my fellow passengers and what they do or do not do, either with equipment intended for communal use (the overhead bin) or equipment assigned personally to them (as opposed to me) for the duration of the flight (their seat belt.) Re your point of some action of theirs resulting in my being struck, I might protest, yes, but I still don't have authority to order them to do or not do anything. That, as I am sure some FAA regulation makes clear, is the crew's exclusive prerogative.

I can on the other hand be considered to have some authority over my own person and equipment assigned specifically to me for the duration of the flight, if only because the flight safety briefing shown prior to every flight gives detailed instructions on:

where to stow bags (heavier items under the seat in front); putting the seatback upright and stowing the tray table; an explicit and unequivocal direction to remain seated with seatbelt fastened when seatbelt light is lit along with how to operate the seatbelt; settings for electronic devices during flight; evacuaton procedures and where to find cabin diagram; correct use of oxygen masks if supplied; how to operate an inflatable lifejacket,.

***On the other hand said briefing does not give any direction to close the overhead bins OR how to to close them. ***What is not explicitly asked of passengers in said safety video, must reasonably assumed to be the proper responsibility of the crew.

Finally, the emphasis in said safety video on being seated with belt fastened conflicts as a matter of logic with any edict to adjust the overhead bins, as if the operating schedule of the aircraft, its being on time, etc, superceded the priority of safety.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by simpleflyer

As far as helping keep the plane clean, I've no problem with that - provided any action to said end doesn't involve conflict with some other requirement, say keeping my butt in my seat as directed. Cooperation in cleanliness is the only way a plane will be kept as clean as possible in 'real time' i.e., while I'm actually aboard the stupid thing - I don't give a fig how clean the 'official cleaners' get it after I and my fellow pax have left!
How about one more minute to pump the brakes and talk about what was actually said. You’re conflating a suggestion/favor/courtesy over PA with something like not taking your seat will actually delay push back/take off.

​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.