Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC agent: “We only help w/ same-day reservations.”

Old Apr 4, 18, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

At SFO rotunda club w/ 1.5 hours to kill. One of my 9 current reservations doesn’t show my current seat assignments or even show seat maps to view/change. Agent told me I had to call in, in spite of the fact there were 3 agents with no one around but me. I don’t mind calling, but I figured “what the heck, I’ll talk to a live person”. Is this old policy, new policy, club-specific policy, or “agent-specific” policy? I have had no problem at Honolulu and I recall LAX helping w/ a future reservation. Maybe they were helping in spite of policy? I’ve only done this when they aren’t busy.

I’m gonna call, but curious if there is a policy regarding this. I completely understand if there’s IRROPs going on and a bunch of people needing immediate assistance...
Old Apr 4, 18, 4:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
At SFO rotunda club --- “We only help w/ same-day reservations.” ...
This has been mentioned by others occansionally over the years. SFO seems to be a hot bed for this but it has been reported about other clubs.

I completely understand if there’s IRROPs going on and a bunch of people needing immediate assistance..
I think you have nailed the "reasoning" but it still feels a bit customer unfriendly. But I have seen someone tie up an agent for siginificanttime period for non-same day travel issue.
Old Apr 4, 18, 4:26 pm

Agents at the airport don't have the same tools as Reservations so it is possible they aren't able to help as easily with future date reservations.
Old Apr 4, 18, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
Agents at the airport don't have the same tools as Reservations so it is possible they aren't able to help as easily with future date reservations.
Haven't encountered an agent who hasn’t be able to help (at least among those who allowed themselves to help). On the other hand, the assistance I usually seek isn’t complicated.
Old Apr 4, 18, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Heard this at ORD club as well. Don’t remember exactly when, but probably 6+ months ago. Maybe a year.
Old Apr 4, 18, 5:03 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.5 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Just tell them that you're going to call in with a complaint about how Mr./Ms. XXX at SFO UA Club wasn't able to be helpful. Might not make you a friend but it might help to end agents who would rather socialize/do nothing during idle periods in the UCs.
Old Apr 4, 18, 5:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I just had the same scenario at ORD a few weeks ago. ~4 agents sitting in the B5 club with no one around, place was dead and I had 2 hours to kill so and wanted to do something with an upcoming reservation, they told me nope, they could only help with same day.
Old Apr 4, 18, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Coming from 30 years of flying USAirways, I have noticed a significant difference in the level of the UC agents with respect to the USAirways Club agents. In USAirways, they had the best employees working there. My experience in the UCs in ORD has been very negative. They know nothing and they rather talk to their colleagues than to a passenger. I did not realize that at the beginning so I was asking things like if they could reprint a boarding pass because my status had changed, or asking if they could SDC me in the next flight. Their answer: no. Same questions at the USAirways Clubs in PHL always put them in active mode. And if they could not solve it themselves, they would get on the phone and, voila, a new boarding pass in my hands. A few months ago, my wife asked in one of the UCs in ORD if they could check her in for a trip to China the next day. The agent made faces and unhappy sounds the whole time she was processing the passport but at least she did it. But, then, my wife said that she felt embarrassed and would never again ask anything in the UC.
Old Apr 4, 18, 5:45 pm

At SFO rotunda club w/ 1.5 hours to kill. One of my 9 current reservations doesn’t show my current seat assignments or even show seat maps to view/change. Agent told me I had to call in, in spite of the fact there were 3 agents with no one around but me. I don’t mind calling, but I figured “what the heck, I’ll talk to a live person”. Is this old policy, new policy, club-specific policy, or “agent-specific” policy? I have had no problem at Honolulu and I recall LAX helping w/ a future reservation. Maybe they were helping in spite of policy? I’ve only done this when they aren’t busy.

I’m gonna call, but curious if there is a policy regarding this. I completely understand if there’s IRROPs going on and a bunch of people needing immediate assistance...
Did you mention that it was for an existing reservation? UC agents usually don't know how to ticket, so if you asked "can you help me with a future reservation?" They may have thought it was to ticket
Old Apr 4, 18, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've had no trouble getting lounge agents to confirm that my AVML request in my profile has actually appeared in future reservations, definitely at NRT at least. I'm pretty sure I've asked at clubs in the US too.
Old Apr 4, 18, 7:23 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
At any station, especially a hub, IRROPS can happen at any time. I'm sure agents don't want to get bogged down working on someone's future reservation and then have 10 people show up because a plane went MX. A policy I'm sure you would want to be in place if you were one of the 10 people and you needed to get moved to the next flight that departs in 30 minutes but you had to wait because someone was working out how to route through Outer Mongolia in order to get to HKG 6 months from now.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Apr 4, 18, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I believe the Alaska Lounge (ex-Board Room) has had the same policy systemwide (not that there are very many) for several years.
Old Apr 4, 18, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I suspected this would be about SFO. They have more than their share of bad agents. I’ve learned who to choose and who to avoid. There’s one in particular who will do nothing and another who’ll spend 45 minutes or more with me if they aren’t busy. At one point the good one was on two phones talking to two people at the same time and in the end worked a miracle for me.

As an aside, I miss the great agents at the old DCA UC and hope they found a good home somewhere. My experience in the new UC is mostly “why are you bothering me” in compensation, the bartender is great.
Old Apr 4, 18, 10:13 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
-------
Huh ?.....Airport agents are using the same computer/system that Reservationists are using. It's just a matter of knowledge, laziness, wanting to help (one or all things combined).
Old Apr 4, 18, 11:58 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by FlyingNone View Post
-------
Huh ?.....Airport agents are using the same computer/system that Reservationists are using. It's just a matter of knowledge, laziness, wanting to help (one or all things combined).
Since when? Must’ve been since I logged out of my airport computer a couple of hours ago

Search this Thread