Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket to Khartoum (KRT)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Award ticket to Khartoum (KRT)

Hi all,

I'm trying to use United miles to book an award ticket to Khartoum, Sudan. The problem? KRT or Khartoum yield an invalid airport code error on United's website.
I checked the region definitions page on the Mileageplus website and Sudan is clearly listed. Furthermore, both Aeroplan's and Avianca's search engines shows plenty of availability from Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines.
This is either a database error or United is refusing to sell tickets to KRT. I can't find a single UA agent who understands what I'm saying, instead insisting it's because there's no award availability.

(And, before you say it's because it's too dangerous, I'll note that Mileageplus will allow ticketing to Kabul and Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan and Juba, South Sudan.)

Help?
Joshua and Xyzzy like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:50 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
More likely is that Sudan is still listed as a state sponsor of terrorism. There are still some treasury sanctions in place and not all were lifted in 2017.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
More likely is that Sudan is still listed as a state sponsor of terrorism. There are still some treasury sanctions in place and not all were lifted in 2017.
agreed, although UA does have fares filed, I am assuming they won't book due to sanctions, similar to IKA
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I went through a similar situation a few years ago trying to get to Yemen. I got the restrictions removed but it was quite the uphill battle.

​​​​​Link

Fwiw, I flew to KRT a few months ago and I just bought an ORD-KRT ticket on Royal Jordanian rather than deal with UA again. It was only $500 RT - you might just want to consider a revenue ticket...
​​​​
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by N104UA
agreed, although UA does have fares filed, I am assuming they won't book due to sanctions, similar to IKA
Not true. ne can buy tix from EWR-IKA on united.com. It prices and tickets that just fine.

It looks to me as if KRT is not in united.com's list of valid destinations.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Not true. ne can buy tix from EWR-IKA on united.com. It prices and tickets that just fine.

I was unaware of that, I assumed due to sanctions a US carrier couldnt sell those tickets.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Xyzzy

This is likely the answer. The only destination that was 'blacklisted' from UA as far as I could tell was Cuba a few years ago; you couldn't even book the Copa flights there.

UA.com doesn't support every airport for reasons I'll never understand. Even innocent airports with partner service like LOP are on that list. I've had success booking awards when I feed the agents the flight numbers (with availability) to the affected airports.

Fwiw, it doesn't stop crediting. I've had multiple 'unbookable' PEK-FNJ tickets credit miles normally.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Apr 5, 2018 at 9:13 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dls25
I went through a similar situation a few years ago trying to get to Yemen. I got the restrictions removed but it was quite the uphill battle.

​​​​​Link

Fwiw, I flew to KRT a few months ago and I just bought an ORD-KRT ticket on Royal Jordanian rather than deal with UA again. It was only $500 RT - you might just want to consider a revenue ticket...
​​​​
I'd do this if I were planning to fly directly to KRT, but I'm instead trying to include KRT-ADD-HGA in J as an Excursionist Perk addition to a longer itinerary: JFK-IST-ASM; KRT-ADD-HGA; HGA-ADD-EWR.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by grlmopz
I'd do this if I were planning to fly directly to KRT, but I'm instead trying to include KRT-ADD-HGA in J as an Excursionist Perk addition to a longer itinerary: JFK-IST-ASM; KRT-ADD-HGA; HGA-ADD-EWR.
If I may ask, did you have success in the end? I'm trying to do something similar with the excursionist perk: HKG-ADD-LOS, ABJ-ADD-KRT, KRT-ADD-HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.