FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Where will a deck of United cards take me? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1902119-where-will-deck-united-cards-take-me.html)

JVPhoto Apr 3, 2018 1:27 pm

Where will a deck of United cards take me?

Found this deck (all the cards are there!) playing cards in the bar at my grandparents’ house. I’m guess they’re probably 25+ years old and could in fact have been the deck we got flying to Honolulu with them in the early 90s. They could have been something that late Grandma could have got on all the travels she would go with her social group in the 80s. My Grandpa who is still alive is struggling mentally so talking to him about the cards would be futile.
Anyways, I’ve been struggling to decide where to go in the fall and this is where the UA FT community could come in.
Whats a fun chart I could do by suit or something like that where I draw a poker hand and that tells me where to book a flight?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e74a71afc.jpeg

guv1976 Apr 3, 2018 1:32 pm

If you play those cards right, you can buy a First Class ticket to anyplace you want!

:D

jhayes_1780 Apr 3, 2018 1:39 pm

FWIW, I have a few blue decks as pictured and a few red decks and grey decks. And my prized possession is a "royal pacific service" UA deck.

milepig Apr 3, 2018 1:58 pm

Hmm. It wouldn't be a hand as such, but if you want to stay travel domestically you could always take out jokers and assign each remaining card a state and also Guam and Puerto Rico. That's 52. Shuffle the cards and pick one at random. That's your destination.

JVPhoto Apr 3, 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 29598723)
Hmm. It wouldn't be a hand as such, but if you want to stay travel domestically you could always take out jokers and assign each remaining card a state and also Guam and Puerto Rico. That's 52. Shuffle the cards and pick one at random. That's your destination.

Actually I kinda like that. I’ve been to both Guam and PR but maybe like 8 other states lol. I was thinking more INTL but maybe 2 domestic draws instead would be good.

zrs70 Apr 3, 2018 2:45 pm

Well, the Joker could have you flying a CRJ-200 anywhere!

milepig Apr 3, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 29598921)

That's the answer. Leave in the Jokers. Draw five cards, for each Joker included you need to fly a leg on the Devil's Chariot. Continue drawing cards until you're have a hand of 5 states/territories.

truncated Apr 3, 2018 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 29598807)

Actually I kinda like that. I’ve been to both Guam and PR but maybe like 8 other states lol. I was thinking more INTL but maybe 2 domestic draws instead would be good.

Take out the Jokers and the Jacks/Kings/Queens so you're left with 40 cards. Then draw 2 or 3 (in order) and go to the country with the corresponding country calling code (Ace = 1, 10 = 0) — wikipedia has a useful table: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._calling_codes

(Or if you want to fly domestic just draw 3 cards and fly to that area code)

abaheti Apr 3, 2018 3:14 pm

Haven't thought through the numbers, but what about one suit per continent, with the cards ranking individual countries that UA flies to in alpha order. 52 cards, 73 countries (I think). Have Asia, Europe, Africa, South America (and make Australia part of Asia, etc)? First card in hand selects continent (suit), next four select countries? How much time and miles do you have?

JVPhoto Apr 3, 2018 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 29598921)

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 29598980)
That's the answer. Leave in the Jokers. Draw five cards, for each Joker included you need to fly a leg on the Devil's Chariot. Continue drawing cards until you're have a hand of 5 states/territories.

I fly MRY-LAX-MRY all the time that's not an issue. ;)

Originally Posted by abaheti (Post 29599010)
Haven't thought through the numbers, but what about one suit per continent, with the cards ranking individual countries that UA flies to in alpha order. 52 cards, 73 countries (I think). Have Asia, Europe, Africa, South America (and make Australia part of Asia, etc)? First card in hand selects continent (suit), next four select countries? How much time and miles do you have?

That is more along the lines as to what I was thinking but thought a statistician or puzzle nut might have something good. Time would be 12-14 days in August - late October, not mileage matter, paid J most likely. This was going to be potentially in lieu of going back to Thailand towards the end of the year.

abaheti Apr 3, 2018 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 29599062)
That is more along the lines as to what I was thinking but thought a statistician or puzzle nut might have something good. Time would be 12-14 days in August - late October, not mileage matter, paid J most likely. This was going to be potentially in lieu of going back to Thailand towards the end of the year.

Oh, fun, then I like something along my lines -- if you're paying, getting flights shouldn't be difficult. And maybe then don't limit to one continent... 1st card picks a continent, cards 2+3 pick countries, card 4 a continent, card 5 a country? Please do keep us posted. Just noticed UA also has 13 or 14 regions if you exclude NA, so 1st card could pick a region.

goalie Apr 3, 2018 4:01 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 29598599)
Found this deck (all the cards are there!) playing cards in the bar at my grandparents’ house. I’m guess they’re probably 25+ years old and could in fact have been the deck we got flying to Honolulu with them in the early 90s. They could have been something that late Grandma could have got on all the travels she would go with her social group in the 80s. My Grandpa who is still alive is struggling mentally so talking to him about the cards would be futile.
Anyways, I’ve been struggling to decide where to go in the fall and this is where the UA FT community could come in.
Whats a fun chart I could do by suit or something like that where I draw a poker hand and that tells me where to book a flight?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e74a71afc.jpeg

Your deal or mine? ;) :)

sincx Apr 5, 2018 4:17 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 29599062)
I fly MRY-LAX-MRY all the time that's not an issue. ;)

Where ever you end up going, please write a trip report! The first photo in the report should be the cards you drew :)

ryman554 Apr 5, 2018 7:29 am

Here you go. Top 50, order as you will. As for the two remaining: Queen of hearts = HNL, presumably because that's where you got the cards from. Queen of spades = something lousy. After all, you have to have some risk!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic

mahasamatman Apr 5, 2018 8:06 am

Originally Posted by truncated (Post 29598989)
(Or if you want to fly domestic just draw 3 cards and fly to that area code)

And hope you don't draw 9-A-A.

Originally Posted by ryman554 (Post 29605442)
Here you go. Top 50, order as you will.

It would be far more interesting to pick from the 50 least used airports.

Split the deck in half. You now have 26 cards - a 1:1 mapping to letters in the English alphabet. Build an airport identifier.