Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So many CRJ-200s

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
A lot of routes through IAD means two flights on these things. I never thought I’d say this but a Saab 340 seemed better.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Joshua
A lot of routes through IAD means two flights on these things. I never thought I’d say this but a Saab 340 seemed better.
A lot of my youthful flying was on the EMB-120 for intra-California flights like FAT-SAN/ONT/LAX (and upgrade from the Fairchild Metro III I first met SkyWest on) -- but was always a bit jealous of this "jet" mentioned in the Skywest-specific inflight magazine.

Then I met the CRJ-200 on NW doing DTW-PLN intermixed with Saab 340s in my teens. I was so enthralled by the idea of flying on a "Jet" that I never thought the reason I was miserable was the CR2... for a few times. Then I put two and two together and completely forgot about the CR2 until Air Wisconsin came back and OO's suddenly surfaced on a root and ... after wedging my knee into my jaw to fit into the exit row twice I remembered why I "loved" props so much.

From the Metro III and Beech 1900 up through every other aircraft I've ever flown there is not one that I despise more (or will cause me to go further out of my way to avoid) than the CR2.

Most recently I was looking at flying into Columbia, MO -- but the only UA service (or at least the only service UA.com offered) was the CR2 -- so I flew through STL instead (MCI was also an option -- but I've flown MCI tons, never STL so I figured I'd shake things up)
gcashin likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
A critical distinction between EMB120 and CRJ200 is the later has a restroom. I guess that will make a huge difference during IRROP.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
A critical distinction between EMB120 and CRJ200 is the later has a restroom. I guess that will make a huge difference during IRROP.
The 120 had a restroom. Tiny as it was, there were 2 configurations with it either at the front or the back of the plane. One had to use sealed hand wipes in lieu of running water to clean their hands, though, at least when I used to fly on OO when they had operated the "bro."
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The CR2s seem to be everywhere now. Where'd all the ERJs go? Between the two I'd rather have the ERJ just because of the better windows.
Starbase 1K and atword like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Got a flight on one of these in a couple weeks. Hadn't seen one in a while, was hoping they were gone for good.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Definitely a few updates to being EWR captive .... the CRJ200 is one of them.

https://simpleflying.com/the-fall-of...s-in-new-york/

Truly, the "worst" plane here now is probably the 73G.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Got a flight on one of these in a couple weeks. Hadn't seen one in a while, was hoping they were gone for good.
Thankfully their numbers are declining but they tend to pop up at the weirdest times

With OO pulling so many EAS routes hopefully that may see OO transition out of CR2 flying for UA. ZW, I'm afraid, will keep the airborne torture devices alive for as long as UA will pay them for the privilege... A bit of a shame as ZW's crews (like OO's) are on the upper end of regional professionalism/seniority and generally are a pleasure to fly with...but not enough to make up for the vehicle being a CR2.

I'm still a little bewildered that UA brought so man6 CR2s back on property when it already had an established fleet of an infinitely more comfortable 50 seater in the 145 (at one point CO (via ExpressJet) operated the world's largest fleet of 145s)
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Thankfully their numbers are declining but they tend to pop up at the weirdest times

With OO pulling so many EAS routes hopefully that may see OO transition out of CR2 flying for UA. ZW, I'm afraid, will keep the airborne torture devices alive for as long as UA will pay them for the privilege... A bit of a shame as ZW's crews (like OO's) are on the upper end of regional professionalism/seniority and generally are a pleasure to fly with...but not enough to make up for the vehicle being a CR2.

I'm still a little bewildered that UA brought so man6 CR2s back on property when it already had an established fleet of an infinitely more comfortable 50 seater in the 145 (at one point CO (via ExpressJet) operated the world's largest fleet of 145s)
The outbound leg of the flight is on a 145. Its IAH to ABQ. I'm surprised demand is so low for that market that they're flying these things; in the past all my flights there have been either E175 or 737/319. Thats a bit of a long flight for the old RJ's with no entertainment.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Back in March I went to Detroit on business. Due to schedules and pricing I flew:

- RDU-ATL-DTW on a Delta 757-200 and an A-350-900
- DTW-IAD-RDU on a United CRJ-200 and an A-320

Going from a 359 one day to a CRJ the next day is really unpleasant. As an added bonus because there was no wifi I got to land in IAD and learn my next flight was delayed as soon as I turned my phone back on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.