Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So many CRJ-200s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
~Seven years ago now Delta implemented a rule where single-class planes wouldn't be used on domestic routes longer than 750 miles. CLE-IAH at 1,091 statute miles, oof!
An approach like that would be a reasonable approach to using the CRJ-200's in the fleet - just keep them off the longer routes. CRJ routes getting close to 1000+ miles are just downright miserable. YYC-SFO is 1018 miles, so almost as long as the example above.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by Halo117
3 reasons.
1. The 145 has wider seats
2. The 145 seats are not slimlined hence more cushion (there was a time the 145 was the park bench of the fleet....my oh my how it only got worse)
3. The lateral heat of pax bodies is less on the 145. You have a shorter distance for any pax to be exposed to the wall/outside temp.
ERJ-145s also have a lower floor, since they didn't have to raise the floor so high to try to get 4 across in such a narrow aircraft. The CRJ200's higher floor means the overhead bins are really small.

I can fit my tiny rollaboard (Briggs & Riley Baseline Rolling Cabin Bag) in an ERJ-145 overhead, but on a CRJ200, it has to go under the seat in front of me. 2-2 seating also means the overheads are a lot more crowded. 2-1 means there is usually space right at my row.

The 145 has real extra-legroom seats, both row 18 and the bulkhead seats. The CRJ200 does not. United sells the bulkhead seats as Economy Plus, but (a) there is no underseat storage there and (b) there is very little extra legroom anyway.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
one of my common routes - SFO-GEG - appears to be getting our E175s knocked out by CR2s next winter. Not surprising to see it go single cabin given the lack of F demand (never missed an upg on many award tickets, even thursday night)... still, that's a pretty material reduction in capacity on a % basis and definitely an experience downgrade for a 2hr flt.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
I recently flew on a CRJ200 from ORD to CHS (760 miles). Not an enjoyable experience.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I avoid these like the plague unless I have absolutely no other choice.

In every e-mail I get from UAL asking for flight feedback, I always put in caps for them to get rid of these piles of crap.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777
I avoid these like the plague unless I have absolutely no other choice.

In every e-mail I get from UAL asking for flight feedback, I always put in caps for them to get rid of these piles of crap.
I no longer seem to get the opportunity to provide bad feedback, as I now only get surveys for trips that don’t involve crj 200s. For example, last week I had three one-way trips, one of which involved a crj 200. I got emails for the non-crj 200 trips, but not for the crj 200 trip. I’m sure they know how much everyone hates them but don’t think they care.

And did the “new” crj 200s come from AA? My recent flight from ORD to BTV was painted on the outside as UA Express, but the beat up interior was AA colors.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsvt

I no longer seem to get the opportunity to provide bad feedback, as I now only get surveys for trips that don’t involve crj 200s. For example, last week I had three one-way trips, one of which involved a crj 200. I got emails for the non-crj 200 trips, but not for the crj 200 trip. I’m sure they know how much everyone hates them but don’t think they care.

And did the “new” crj 200s come from AA? My recent flight from ORD to BTV was painted on the outside as UA Express, but the beat up interior was AA colors.
Yes, they did.
Air Wisconsin ends AA agreement in early 2018, moves to UA
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: DL PM
These planes have absolutely infested the DEN-West Coast routes. DEN-BUR, DEN-PSP, DEN-SBA, DEN-SBP, DEN-MRY, DEN-RDM. These are all 750+ mile flights.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Maybe I should write to UA to thank them for pricing me out of flying out of my small city. For my next 3 international flights, I will have the opportunity to avoid the CR2s. Economy Class to Europe, they want $1200 more for the roundtrip than flying from ORD. Polaris Business Class to Asia, they want $3500 more for the roundtrip than flying from ORD.

Only problem is that the alternative is not so good. Driving to ORD from the South is difficult. Crazy traffic. Driving South from ORD after 10-16 hours flights is not something I'm comfortable with. Public transportation is not reliable.

So, now, I wish I could get on a CR2.
if you’re flying in C, you might be able to get a corp charter to take you to ORD or even PWK and take an Uber to the terminal (if PWK). $3500 buys a lot of special treatment.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
THIS! Root cause
Old May 3, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have this on IAD-LGA tomorrow as well. I thought they were permanently retiring their CRJ-200's.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by trmbn65
I have this on IAD-LGA tomorrow as well. I thought they were permanently retiring their CRJ-200's.
Unfortunately not. This and many other threads document why these A/C are known as the Devil's Chariot.

David
Spiff likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by trmbn65
I had that flight last Friday. Because it departed from A Gates, I stopped by TK lounge for about 10 min with a 45-min layover time (from C18). I walked very fast once exited the train and let wife walk directly to A Gates. I was lucky to have seats 1B and 1C open at T-24. I grabbed both and told my wife that these are the best seats on this A/C. Haha!
Old May 3, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I had those on DEN-TUC in Dec. UA used to fly those on most of flights from RIC, IAD ORD and EWR. RIC-IAD is now EMB-145, better than CRJ-200.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I had that flight last Friday. Because it departed from A Gates, I stopped by TK lounge for about 10 min with a 45-min layover time (from C18). I walked very fast once exited the train and let wife walk directly to A Gates. I was lucky to have seats 1B and 1C open at T-24. I grabbed both and told my wife that these are the best seats on this A/C. Haha!
I have 2 hours so that's not a bad idea. I like to go get a drink at one of the bars but they've been absolutely packed there the last few times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.