So many CRJ-200s

Old Apr 2, 18, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
As an AA flyer, all I can say is I feel your pain. AA has thankfully been ditching these torture tubes over the last year or so and I'm sure they are going for a super cheap rate. These are the Air Wisconsin planes. My regular AA route has a mix of types mostly E175/CR9 but there's one lousy CR2 flight that pops up at different times of day depending on the month and I will re-arrange my schedule to avoid it.
Old Apr 2, 18, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA
Can someone explain the hatred of the CRJ200? I personally loathe the 145s. I do like the nickname it has garnered though, Devil's Chariot. I've only been on the CR2 2-3 times but at least you can semi stand up in it vs the 145.
vkng likes this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 4:57 pm

You've heard of "if it ain't Boeing, I'm not going."

Personally, I'm more partial to "if it's a two hundred, I want none of it."
Old Apr 2, 18, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
Can someone explain the hatred of the CRJ200? I personally loathe the 145s. I do like the nickname it has garnered though, Devil's Chariot. I've only been on the CR2 2-3 times but at least you can semi stand up in it vs the 145.
Maybe that's the trick. If you don't take it often you don't get to hate it. I have taken it 27 times in the 18 months since I started flying UA. And I'm a light traveler. I only took 15 trips in that period.
Old Apr 2, 18, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador
My dislike is a few things.. the seats are terrible with no economy plus, even on a 145 I can get 18a, or the dual exit. If I dont get that I can at least get the A side and put both armrests up with no one next to me.
Now I am 6'6 so being able to move a knee out is a big deal to me. 1B on the 200 is tolerable, but its very tight.
Old Apr 2, 18, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The 145 has a third of the plane where your shoulders don't touch a neighbor. I would take almost any A seat on a 145 over any other Y seat in the entire fleet, assuming I was flying solo and guaranteed to have a stranger next to me.
goodeats21 and Yellowjj like this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by findark View Post
The 145 has a third of the plane where your shoulders don't touch a neighbor. I would take almost any A seat on a 145 over any other Y seat in the entire fleet, assuming I was flying solo and guaranteed to have a stranger next to me.
+1
The seats are wider on 145 as well. The 145 has 6 E+ seats vs 4 on the CR2. The windows are wider. I don't know of any attributes the cr2 beats the 145 other than height which you sit anyway. The CR2 also has more w&b issues compared to the 145.
CMHBIZTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 5:31 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
There's a firm plan to add 40 CR2s to the 85 that were operated for UX at 12/31/17.

United Airlines announced to add forty Bombardier CRJ-200s ? News In Flight
Anyone know if the new ones are exactly the same design/configuration or have they made any improvements...?

I'd be ok if the bins were slightly larger or had a few rows of real premium seats. I can fit my carry-on on the CR7 but never on the CR2s, so I'd be very happy if they could put slightly larger bins on the newer CR2s.
Old Apr 2, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Billygreg View Post
This is the most depressing post I have seen on FlyerTalk in quite awhile.
Thatís a massive increase. Hopefully they continue to stay away from EWR...
Old Apr 2, 18, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
My personal hatred of the 200 isn't just for the plane per se, but the fact that UA puts them on 2-4 hour flights. The were originally awesome because they replaced turbo-props on short flights. Now they've replaced mainline aircraft on medium flights. That's the main problem.

As for the plane itself, compared to an ERJ, they're inferior because at least on an ERJ, a third of the seats are solo. On the 200, you're jammed into a small seat and smashing shoulders with the person next to you. No chance to upgrade, no paid F (big for people who connect to big bucks mainline flights out of a hub), no food, nothing but an uncomfortable seat.
Miggles and mr8 like this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 6:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
Anyone know if the new ones are exactly the same design/configuration or have they made any improvements...?
There are no new CRJ-200s. They stopped making them in 2006.
Old Apr 2, 18, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
There are no new CRJ-200s. They stopped making them in 2006.
That means they have to age out at some point, right? Just trying to look at the bright side...
Miggles likes this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
I don't know that the 2nd-gen CR7/CR9 bins have been retrofitted to any CRJ-50/100/200 of U.S. carriers.

CR7/CR9 is a CR2 fuselage stretched, with bigger windows, and the floor dropped 1 1/4 inches. Coach seats are no wider on a UA CR7.
Old Apr 3, 18, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Same in COS, a greater percentage of flights are now on the CRJ-200. Demand is sky high, with flights out of COS often $400 more than driving to DEN, and I seem to recall UA talking about upgauging as much as possible, but COS has once again been screwed by UA with their love affair with the CRJ-200.
Misery for my wife and I - both COS 1Ks. Not only are they miserable to fly, they seem to suffer mechanical issues at a higher rate. The biggest insult is that they operate them on COS-ORD which is scheduled at ~2.5 hours. There is zero chance of me booking that route now.
Old Apr 3, 18, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, Amtrak, VIA
It is sad to be a various airports, and see AA, DL, and WN with full size planes, and then UX trundles up with their RJ.
One thing about the Devil's Chariot, however, it still has the same type of seats that it always had. Given UA's blanket retrofitting of "slimline" seats, it's a wonder they haven't come up with a slimline mod for a CRJ that could increase capacity to 54 seats or so. Ugh, I shouldn't give them any ideas. Daze

Last edited by Daze; Apr 3, 18 at 6:58 pm Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Search Engine: